You can type here any text you want

The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
kirban 2 cents worth

Appreciate you taking part will look at it in the next post but at a quick glance I see the bottom printed copy seems to be in French. I never realized they did that on the label. I have owned may 1-2 Canadian cars and if I recall they did have a small paper label on the back of the flip down license plate that was in french?

Also, again going by memory but if you wrote GM in Canada they actually have or had the break down of the Turbo cars that were imported each year to Canada.
Not sure if you ever saw that or not. Being you have a 1986 model the numbers I am sure wold be lower that year than say 1987 numbers. If you know those numbers post them. Insurance companies I am sure have some sort of formula based on production numbers divided by years and can calculate approximately how many would still be left in Canada and probably even break in down as to approximately how many may still be around in each providence? I think they are called providences....judging from your address their can't be many in BC today.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

95 codes puts you at the very high end as no one to date has hit triple digits. Going by memory I think 96-97 has been the maximum.

A minor correction you have 95 codes not 95 options as codes not only refer to options as you state, but nails down features that went in your car. Example every ID label takes 4 codes to list the 4 coil springs. Rear ends takes 3 or 4 codes one for rear size one for ratio one for posi if a posi and so on and so forth.

See next post for break down....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com
I got lucky in high school I had to take one year of french.....and if you failed, they did not let you take a second year of it. You can guess the grade I got!

contest 46
69 shelby mustang
slp camaro ss

kirban 2 cents worth

Off to a quick start you nailed down the early one....later model is wrong. Wrong meaning not the one I have in mind. Technically SLP is like an aftermarket supplier so it would not be factory correct. As I think SLP did those mods after the cars were built. Kind of like the small runs of convertibles I think ASC did with the F body Camaros...

According to my buddy who is an expert on these cars the made a GT350 and a GT500 in 1969 carried them over part of 1970 still had ignition in the dash later in 1970 went to ignition in the column. They had the dual port exhaust outlets in the dead center.....

Although these were around in my youth, I never owned any Mustangs until the early 1990s when we started to make parts for them. Since then we have had 3 different notchbacks, 96 and a 97 cobra, 04 cobra and currently have a 06 GT.

So, 1/2 the question has been answered.....now you gotta hit the other half. Plus you gotta do it quicker than anyone else....who may be reading this at the same time.

the clock is still ticking

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

Appreciate you taking part will look at it in the next post but at a quick glance I see the bottom printed copy seems to be in French. I never realized they did that on the label. I have owned may 1-2 Canadian cars and if I recall they did have a small paper label on the back of the flip down license plate that was in french?

Also, again going by memory but if you wrote GM in Canada they actually have or had the break down of the Turbo cars that were imported each year to Canada.
Not sure if you ever saw that or not. Being you have a 1986 model the numbers I am sure wold be lower that year than say 1987 numbers. If you know those numbers post them. Insurance companies I am sure have some sort of formula based on production numbers divided by years and can calculate approximately how many would still be left in Canada and probably even break in down as to approximately how many may still be around in each providence? I think they are called providences....judging from your address their can't be many in BC today.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

95 codes puts you at the very high end as no one to date has hit triple digits. Going by memory I think 96-97 has been the maximum.

A minor correction yo have 95 codes not 95 options as codes not only refer to options as you state, but nails down features that went in your car. Example every ID label takes 4 codes to list the 4 coil springs. Rear ends takes 3 or 4 codes one for rear size one for ratio one for posi if a posi and so on and so forth.

See next post for break down....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com
I got lucky in high school I had to take one year of french.....and if you failed, they did not let you take a second year of it. You can guess the grade I got!
HI Dennis,

Yes, of course, it's 95 codes, not options, printed on the trunk ID label.
Only, 441 WE2 models imported to Canada in 1986, according to my documentation, received from Vintage Vehicle Services.
Hope this info is helpful to others.

Take care,

Nando.

kirban 2 cents worth

breaking down the Canadian trunk ID label. At a quick glance you got VD6 and VD7 light weight aluminum bumper supports, VK3 front license plate bracket. I believe all Canadian providences require front plates?

You got no posi G80....meaning that would be one more code which would bump you to 96 possible. You got C68 which is the optional touch climate control means C68 would show up on your label on your heater box under your hood.

Usually owners that got that feature touch climate control would go for digital dash, you have an analog dash reads in kilometers to 140 I believe.

No engine block heater which surprises me being a Canadian car as I am sure you get some very cold winters...that would be another possible code meaning you could hit 97.

UX1 you got the very best radio offered of the 6 possible for 1986 US money $504, U66 is rear speaker set up but no concert sound feature meaning that would be another code which would take you to 98 possible.

US7 is a power antenna.....my guess is it either busted or been replaced. You got factory T-Tops CC1 somewhere in that time frame they went to the locking Tops so you could have non locking or locking....which do you have depending on your built date. I don't have the bulletin handy to see when they switched.

You got T63 headlite buzzer but no twillite sentinel which would add another code which would make 99 possible. You got A90 power trunk release, no power driver seat which was tough to order with T-Tops and that would make 100 codes possible!!! Meaning 100 is within reach!

B34 and B35 are the better front and rear floor mats, B88 is the body side moldings stick on...however no door edge guards which means 101 codes wold be obtainable. B48 is the 9 piece trunk kit. A bargain at $47 because if you bought it later it was like twice as much.

QHY refers to white letter tires originally on this car $102 option blackwall style was standard.

Being this is the first Canada label I have gotten to observe I am trying to see what code(s) would be the tip off that it went to Canada or export. One code that sticks out that I have not seen in this post is Z49 it stands for export. Another unusual code is Z31 not seen...my books says Identifcation price sheet advance.

Have to play dumb here no idea what that means. May have something to do with the french labels or price structure for export....guessing here.

ZF8 I have no records in any of my literature showing what that code refers to and its not a common code we see here on US cars....

Some of the other codes are common for windows locks WE2 stands for GN option etc....the code that starts with 6 and 7 refer to left and rite front springs one code starts with 8 and one code starts with 9 refer to left and rite rear coil springs. Some of the other codes refer to interior colors others refer to trim color etc...

If you have the window sticker curious is to the price. My guess is in your money it was probably over 20 grand when it was new. I have no idea what the exchange rate was back in 1986.....I do know normally you Canadians take a beating usually.

Based on reading your label, I believe it takes a Canadian (export) GN to hit and or break the 100 code mark. So far it has not been done in this thread. We did hit 50 which is the lowest. As you can see by adding just a few options your car would hit 100.

Appreciate you posting your thoughts on what I have found. I have tried to be accurate. It shows readers that the Canadian stickers were different.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

breaking down the Canadian trunk ID label. At a quick glance you got VD6 and VD7 light weight aluminum bumper supports, VK3 front license plate bracket. I believe all Canadian providences require front plates?

You got no posi G80....meaning that would be one more code which would bump you to 96 possible. You got C68 which is the optional touch climate control means C68 would show up on your label on your heater box under your hood.

Usually owners that got that feature touch climate control would go for digital dash, you have an analog dash reads in kilometers to 140 I believe.

No engine block heater which surprises me being a Canadian car as I am sure you get some very cold winters...that would be another possible code meaning you could hit 97.

UX1 you got the very best radio offered of the 6 possible for 1986 US money $504, U66 is rear speaker set up but no concert sound feature meaning that would be another code which would take you to 98 possible.

US7 is a power antenna.....my guess is it either busted or been replaced. You got factory T-Tops CC1 somewhere in that time frame they went to the locking Tops so you could have non locking or locking....which do you have depending on your built date. I don't have the bulletin handy to see when they switched.

You got T63 headlite buzzer but no twillite sentinel which would add another code which would make 99 possible. You got A90 power trunk release, no power driver seat which was tough to order with T-Tops and that would make 100 codes possible!!! Meaning 100 is within reach!

B34 and B35 are the better front and rear floor mats, B88 is the body side moldings stick on...however no door edge guards which means 101 codes wold be obtainable. B48 is the 9 piece trunk kit. A bargain at $47 because if you bought it later it was like twice as much.

QHY refers to white letter tires originally on this car $102 option blackwall style was standard.

Being this is the first Canada label I have gotten to observe I am trying to see what code(s) would be the tip off that it went to Canada or export. One code that sticks out that I have not seen in this post is Z49 it stands for export. Another unusual code is Z31 not seen...my books says Identifcation price sheet advance.

Have to play dumb here no idea what that means. May have something to do with the french labels or price structure for export....guessing here.

ZF8 I have no records in any of my literature showing what that code refers to and its not a common code we see here on US cars....

Some of the other codes are common for windows locks WE2 stands for GN option etc....the code that starts with 6 and 7 refer to left and rite front springs one code starts with 8 and one code starts with 9 refer to left and rite rear coil springs. Some of the other codes refer to interior colors others refer to trim color etc...

If you have the window sticker curious is to the price. My guess is in your money it was probably over 20 grand when it was new. I have no idea what the exchange rate was back in 1986.....I do know normally you Canadians take a beating usually.

Based on reading your label, I believe it takes a Canadian (export) GN to hit and or break the 100 code mark. So far it has not been done in this thread. We did hit 50 which is the lowest. As you can see by adding just a few options your car would hit 100.

Appreciate you posting your thoughts on what I have found. I have tried to be accurate. It shows readers that the Canadian stickers were different.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com
Hi Dennis,

Thanks very much for the quick response in deciphering my code list. I didn't expect you to be that quick! Just to tip you off, our equivalent to states in the U.S., are provinces in Canada.
Yes, the analog dash reads to 140 k.m.p.h..
Being this car was delivered to Chilliwack, B.C., Canada, the weather can be mild during our coastal winters, and I don't think the previous owner had any intention for the GN to be parked anywhere, but in a heated garage.
You know, I've never had the T-tops off, since I've owned the GN. How were the tops lockable... by keyed lock on the handles? I'll check later.
My car does have GM factory door edge guards. Those could have been added at the dealership, along with mud flaps, after delivery. I should see if I can get the original bill of sale from the previous owner. I may be able to get the window sticker, as well. You're right, these cars were very expensive in Canada. Probably, more than $20k, at the time. And, I've spoken to a few locals in my town, who weren't successful in ordering an '86 GN, but had to wait another year to finally get an '87.
Thanks, once again for the info... this should benefit all of us using this forum.

And, let's see more of those Canadian trunk ID labels!

Nando.

Hi Dennis,

Thanks very much for the quick response in deciphering my code list. I didn't expect you to be that quick! Just to tip you off, our equivalent to states in the U.S., are provinces in Canada.
Yes, the analog dash reads to 140 k.m.p.h..
Being this car was delivered to Chilliwack, B.C., Canada, the weather can be mild during our coastal winters, and I don't think the previous owner had any intention for the GN to be parked anywhere, but in a heated garage.
You know, I've never had the T-tops off, since I've owned the GN. How were the tops lockable... by keyed lock on the handles? I'll check later.
My car does have GM factory door edge guards. Those could have been added at the dealership, along with mud flaps, after delivery. I should see if I can get the original bill of sale from the previous owner. I may be able to get the window sticker, as well. You're right, these cars were very expensive in Canada. Probably, more than $20k, at the time. And, I've spoken to a few locals in my town, who weren't successful in ordering an '86 GN, but had to wait another year to finally get an '87.
Thanks, once again for the info... this should benefit all of us using this forum.

And, let's see more of those Canadian trunk ID labels!

Nando.

kirban 2 cents worth

Just about ready to call it a nite....probably 3 hours difference to you.

On the door edge guards here is the scoop. The factory code is B91....aftemarket is very common as in dealer installed to tack on extras. Aftermarkets usually where a hard plastic originals are thin design and formed metal.

Yes lockable t-top takes one of your keys can't member if its ignition or trunk located near your chrome handle. Mud flaps a GM accessory after the fact also....more than likely unfortunately each ones means 2 extra holes in your whele well molding....the plus side is it stopped chips from hitting your car. My white T had mud flaps and I removed them and replaced every wheel well molding.

My guess is in 1987 probably twice as many went north of the border as demand would have been greater as more and more potential buyers became aware of the performance aspect from various magazine articles...member back then there was no internet it was magazines most avid car nuts had to rely solely on.

We are trying to attract more to this thread as you can see everyone benefits...by bringing something to the plate.....

You being in BC the farthest west I been in Canada has been Three Hills....think its near Banf? Spelling may be off was many years ago...Got 2 sisters live outside Spokane area.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

shelby mustang
jeep srt8

kirban 2 cents worth

BINGO....A WINNER

You now the program pm list what you won in the past....or if you want you mentioned buying a touch and start? Advise and we can discount a portion a I get my inventory on them mid week....I did send you one already ups.

You gotta sit out the next contest...

Post what tipped you off?

The Jeep SRT version don't think this has seen much production and the exhaust does exit in the center....so its unlikely it can be used for towing duty .

I do know of 2 locally owned by Turbo Regal owners....

New contest coming tomorrow.....

One advance clue?

Its on rock and roll.....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Nothing tipped me. Just an auto affecianado. Love cars. Was running all through my head {along with pain medicine}. I knew I could get that one.:biggrin:

Back