The Only 3300 lb. Buick V6 in the 8s using...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, it must have been that 3hp :D

I apologize for interrupting you while you're talking to yourself, I just wanted to reassure you that you're a genius. Carry on.
Frybrain, you have got to be following the 'Dummies Guide to Internet Trolling'.

Must be the [blankity blank blank] :rolleyes:
You're such a genius. :rolleyes:
Excuse the intrusion. :rolleyes:
Carry on. :rolleyes:

Try to come up with some original stuff, please.

ROFLMAO! How many times must this be stated before you will understand. Your car is a DOG. It's a PIG. It does NOT have "extraordinary performance".

You have a stage motor with aftermarket heads, with nitrous, a giant 91mm turbo, wheely bars, W tires, etc, and you are so slow that you would get smoked my many of the STREET cars in Detroit. I'm completely baffled why you would think anything you did with your simulator did you any good at all. I haven't been so amused by someone patting themselves on the back in a long time!

exactly.

I need to learn those stretching exercises ole' donnie uses to get his arm in that position where he can pat himself on the back so easily...LOL!

Donnie could probably saved himself a bunch of negitivity by just asking the rest of you......
How much horsepower per cubic inch per atmosphere are you dumb****s making?
But that's my way.
Good luck to those racing "Diesel V6's".

Kevin.

its2qik said:
I need to learn those stretching exercises ole' donnie uses to get his arm in that position where he can pat himself on the back so easily...LOL!

.... what does your 331 w/twin Precision hp76hps billet wheel turbo's run in the 1/4?

donnie could probably saved himself a bunch of negitivity by just asking the rest of you......
How much horsepower per cubic inch per atmosphere are you dumb****s making?
But that's my way.
Good luck to those racing "diesel v6's".

Kevin.
kevin just keeping it real .. Got a set of glow plugs i could use ? I think don gave up ..

Let's keep this thread positive...

DonWG said:
Gave up what? I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a reasonable answer to my original question....

While we're waiting on that, guys, can you give me a suggestion on a camshaft? I'm actually going to pattern my Tune Port Injected 305 build around Don's engine, mainly because they share a lot of similarities in terms of valve size, and cylinder volume, except for the two additional cylinders, of course. Considered quite a few from Comp already, but decided to go with a custom one. Tuned Port Setup was opened up substantially, and the early 416 heads I'm using are being finished up as I write this (before and after pics below). Running a 3500 stall speed w/3.42 gears out back, and T88 turbo. Heads should flow considerably well now, just waiting on the cam. Also running roller tipped 1.52 rockers. I have a 224/230 grind (110 LSA) already, but not too happy with the way it idles. What do you guys think would be a good grind for this anemic engine. Hmm, perhaps the answer will help point to Don's original question... :wink:

100_0393.jpg
100_0803.jpg

If high rpm horsepower is what your looking for out of a TPI Chevy, you'll be looking at "Siamesed" intake runners for the lower intake base.

Kevin.

*NOT the aftermarket runners(elbows), cajoined runners in the actual manifold, and yes it will hurt torque production off idle compared to stock TPI.

Yep, that would be them, nicely done BTW.

Kevin.

* For those not familar with such workings, it allows a very stock appearing TPI setup(known to go asthmatic) to breathe easy in the 3500-6500 rpm range, while looking "stock" from all outside inspections.

If you feel the heads are going to need some help from the cam, and high rpm is the target (assuming 7800 minimum), then you're going to need duration numbers higher than what you've mentioned. That is not going to make idle any cleaner, and the cam is going to hurt midrange torque.

The cam and manifolding that is going to help small heads breathe better at high rpm are going to hurt you getting the turbo to spool. My solution was using nitrous.

Engine has a tad under 9:0 compression, and the valve guides, both on the intake and exhaust side, have been milled down and eliminated in the bowl. Fast ramp rate cam will be ideal, this way to get the same net flow with less duration, broadening the torque curve of the motor, without sacrificing high RPM, albeit better breathing at low RPM. The heads are early 416 (1.84"/1.50"), but the block is a roller 305 from a '90 F-Body.

Engine has a tad under 9:0 compression, and the valve guides, both on the intake and exhaust side, have been milled down and eliminated in the bowl. Fast ramp rate cam will be ideal, this way to get the same net flow with less duration, broadening the torque curve of the motor, without sacrificing high RPM, albeit better breathing at low RPM. The heads are early 416 (1.84"/1.50"), but the block is a roller 305 from a '90 F-Body.
Ramp rates have a limit. At least, if valvetrain durability is an issue. Once you've reached that limit, duration has to be increased to get more breathing.
Once you start studying ramp rates, and what a durable ramp rate is, you start to see that small duration cams are not going to get you high rpm.

DonWG said:
Ramp rates have a limit. Once you've reached that limit, duration has to be increased to get more breathing....

This is where the two extra cylinders should hopefully make the difference, not that substantial of course, but just enough to hopefully keep overlap in check by running just enough duration, and allow me to keep it somewhat stable at idle...

Let me just throw out my thinking on camshaft specs needed to help a small head make good power at high rpm (up to 7800).
The whole idea is to get the most 'area under the curve' from your camshaft to get the breathing that you are looking for to make the best use of small valved heads.
Two tools are at your disposal to mold that 'area under the curve'. Lift and duration. One important thing to understand is that the degree of duration, particularly intake duration is very closely tied to what the powerband is going to look like. More intake duration equals higher operating rpm band. Take some time to study camshaft catalogs and you will see that the operating rpm band is very closely related to the amount of intake duration of the camshaft. That holds true across different engine designs.

As lift is increased for a particular duration, the ramp rate must increase until a durability limit for the ramp rate is reached. This will restrict the amount of valve lift a particular duration can support. If the target is to get extraordinary breathing from a small valved head, a small duration cam will not allow an acceptable valve lift. Duration must be increased so that valve lift can also be increased while maintaining an acceptable ramp rate.

Though a head may not breathe more past a certain valve lift, high lift and duration will increase the needed 'area under the curve'.

Again, the type of cam specs needed to help out a small valved head will hurt turbo spool up. And again, nitrous very effectively solves that problem.

To me a 240/240 @.050 on 110 centers idles just fine, but not at factory idle rpms(1100 in neutral is just fine)
Untill variable valve timing becomes available, a 2 valve 4 stroke engine becomes a trade off in many ways, todays 4 valve engines release many of these handcuffs, but not all.
A 2 valved engine is todays equivilent of a "Red headed step child", don't care how well it can work, just won't get it done to suit everyone's want's(I used to have red hair before the grey took over, so piss off)
It still comes down to head flow capabilities divided by displacement it's trying to feed, Donnie has an advantage over Street Lethal on displacement per degree of crankshaft rotation, allowing him higher crankshaft speed before his pistons feel the effects of drawing thru a straw of restricted intake ports/valve area.
I'm just stating what I know, Donnie has probably the highest output of a production based 3.8 Turbo here, it's ludicris to try to compare to a Stage2 headed engine.
The only other I've seen go as fast/faster was Buddy Cox back in the early 90's, he was using a Duttweiler built engine with original Stage 1A heads (which were what Ted Wayman used for his M&A casting derivitives).
I'll bet few of anyone here have ever actually "Chased" a dream, I see a bunch of devout followers scrambling after the latest and greatest parts just to say they got'em, but never use them effectively, but always asking others "Why" did my heads blow/cam wipe/can't rev/no boost/my ****'s fubar, etc. Year after year, the same questions for the same problems.
The guy's with Stage 2 equipment are swinging their big dicks against a Stage 1 equipped driver/owner, funny will be the end game results.
This whole thread should have been a Q&A about the real "Potential" of the small valved(production based) V6's, he's not far off what many of you actually run, yes he runs Methanol, but he isn't even running close to the limit there, if anything his methanol is not really productive untill he's in the 45 lb range.
Strange as it may seem, he's probably hurting power output at 30 lbs and less(he's at least 2 full points low on mechanical CR to be of benefit)
Take it for what it's worth, most of you have handcuffed yourselves with hydralic roller camshafts(My hatred is well documented) which limit your "range", so it becomes a "Monkey see, Monkey doo" follow that dude in front of you, which now again a race of boost guages, and blown head gaskets, etc, people are getting better about not driving over their crankshafts, but that ain't saying much.
I've pm'd my thoughts to Donnie, he is the only one I hope succeeds surpassing his dream, because he had the balls to step out of line and ask...."Why"
Good luck to all, but keep your head out of the ground,

Kevin.

its2qik said:
That car is a grudge car. There's only one way to find out. Get next to it.

That is the type of answer that I was expecting. Point being, ask yourself how much turbo(s) you are running in comparison with Don to accomplish your ET, as well as valve size, not to mention two extra cylinders, then you will see why Don is able to pat himself on the back, which I personally don't feel that he is doing. The guy is sharing his accomplishments, and trying to get others to think out of the box. There really is no need for the other nonsense, is there...

Status
Not open for further replies.