Thinking of buying a TrailBlazer SS

mongoose87

mongoose87
Hello I am thinking of a TrailBlazer SS (TBSS), and I was wondering if anyone here has one, and have they towed, and what they like and dislike about their TBSS. Thank You

i have one and the only thing i dislike about it is the mileage. towing an open car trailer is no problem, i towed an enclosed but the swaying made it a lil hairy.

They are a blast to drive. I don't have one but know some people that do.

Peter

We've had one for 2 years. Love the power, handling, braking, and air ride suspension. Negative as mentioned is that these are heavy, powerful SUV's that have a thirst for gasoline. Drive one and you'll buy one! ;)

Dislikes: fuel mileage does blow but what do you expect from a 400 hp SUV, head room not the greatest if you are tall (your hat will rub the headliner if your not pimpin. I'm 6'2"), the rear door weatherstripping along the rear wheel well likes to sag after closing the door

All in all it is a kick ass suv. If you test drive it you probably will be signing papers shortly thereafter.

I love my 08', it's never let me down. I would get an AWD over a 2WD drive one. I tow a 16' car hauler trailer ever year from NY to WV loaded up with all of my ATV's. I love blowing past the tractor trailers at WOT. Mine is a little more powerful than stock. I'm running 12# of Boost putting down 521HP / 546TQ AWD at the wheels, about 700ish HP/TQ at the crank. It's a lot of fun having an 11.XX SUV.

Head over to tbssowners.com for some good background on the pros and cons... you'll be able to see the issues and advantages of owning one of these over the last generation Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 (which can't tow... LOL!).

...the rear door weatherstripping along the rear wheel well likes to sag after closing the door...

Mine does the same thing. Pisses me off, but I don't want to put any adhesive on it to hold it up. My sister-in-law has an 04 LT TB and it does the same thing.

We get 18mpg on the highway and about 14-15 normally which is mostly stop and go.

My only real dislike is the sloppy/lazy transmission. I prefer the kick in the azz shifts like the GN offers. Feels like the truck would be a full second quicker thru the quarter if shifted with some authority. Kick down is also lazy so if you want hustle past someone on the freeway, you have to hammer it hard for downshift and a 400hp 6.0L engine likes to roar. It kinda makes a scene.;)

I love my 08', it's never let me down. I would get an AWD over a 2WD drive one. I tow a 16' car hauler trailer ever year from NY to WV loaded up with all of my ATV's. I love blowing past the tractor trailers at WOT. Mine is a little more powerful than stock. I'm running 12# of Boost putting down 521HP / 546TQ AWD at the wheels, about 700ish HP/TQ at the crank. It's a lot of fun having an 11.XX SUV.
got any pics of it? was contemplating taking my charger to matt at tune time for a blower/tune but just dropped $5k into a sound system instead.:rolleyes: didnt want to ruin my DD I guess.

Best brakes ever in a suv the downside .. 3 trannys in 28,ooo miles. Nevermind those bald tires sir.. oh thats not rubber my road was "just repaved" Yes 3 trannys

was talking/asking about you and your truck over at Dogwood Ave Tuesday.

you have a Badas s truck for sure.

i am also looking/thinking about a TB or a TBSS for a DD. Right now i get 14.5 MPG on my 01 GTP so to get the same MPG on a TBSS would be great and the power and size a huge plus.

Odd, the GN owner I talked to last night said his stock tbss would SMOKE his 10 second gn... hmm:frown:

I have an '06 and it is a fun SUV for sure. Get ready to pay at the pum though. MPG can be as low as 12 if all you do is putt around short distances like my wife does. The blend of fuel changes fuel economy a bunch too. I have gotten up to 20mpg on flat hwy trips, however in the summer with goold 'ol oxygenated E10 I get 16 or so.

The factory tune is junk. Get tuned.

I see alot of complaints about the trans. Mine has been retuned, but even when it was stock it would bark second. I bought mine used and have a feeling the trans may have been gone through though.

Two BIG issues with these trucks are the motors spinning bearings due to low oil pressure and trans failures.

The oil pressure issue is mainly due to a front sump oilpan that allows the pickup to run dry on hard acceleration if the oil is just a little low. There are fixes, but they are expensive and require you to pull the motor. the current bandaid is to overfill 1/2 quart and keep a close eye on the oil level. Some seem to consume a bit of oil but mine uses absolutely none.

There are alot of trans failures and it is mainly due to heat. If you get a TBSS, do yourself a favor and get an external trans cooler. PCMforless has a nice brake duct mount one and I like it alot.

These things are very nice to ride in. They are also very quiet and luxurious if you get a 3SS model. Even with the poor gas mileage and quirks I absolutely love mine and can't see getting rid of it.

My wife LOVES it as well. It is actually hers as a primary driver.

Mine has a few mods. Intake, tuned (by me), LS1 electric fans, trans cooler, ground wire kit, catless, Magnaflow 22" muffler, Baer brakes.

web.jpg

:cool: Sounds like a bad ass ride you've got there. It's always nice to see the :eek:look people give when a SUV runs as quick as these things can.

Head over to tbssowners.com for some good background on the pros and cons... you'll be able to see the issues and advantages of owning one of these over the last generation Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 (which can't tow... LOL!).
Yes they can.
JeepSRT8Boat01.jpg

JeepSRT8Boat02.jpg

As far as comparisons, I had a 06 AWD TBSS. It was a great vehicle and a lot of fun to drive. There are a ton of mods if that's the route one wants to go. And the cool thing about the SS is you have several options. With the Jeep, it's AWD & basically loaded out. There really isn't a "base" model, so the prices are higher. BUT, compare an equally equipped TBSS to the GCSRT8, and the prices aren't that far apart.

My personal reasons for changing over the the Jeep was 1: FAR more rare. I see 6-8 TBSSs a day. I see 1 SRT Jeep if i count my own. Next, stock to stock, the GC is MUCH quicker (a full second is my personal experience with both vehicles).

Odd, the GN owner I talked to last night said his stock tbss would SMOKE his 10 second gn... hmm:frown:
LOL! No f'ing way.