Third brake light

GNRick

Retired member
Hey guys/gals,
I went scrounging in the local u pull it thinking I would pull a bunch of third brake lights as Kirban said he pays money for them. Well, after two hours of walking and pulling a cart with my tool box on it I came away with two brake lights that looked good. Must have seen 500 cars. Tonight I thought before I sell them to Mr. Kirban I best make sure my brake light is in working order. Well, it wasn't! The bulb was good but the socket basically imploded as can be seen in the last picture. Something else I learned....not all G body third brake lights are the same. The correct one is on the left with the busted socket. The difference is in the mounting base. The correct one is angled as can be seen in the pic. The mounting bases are interchangeable so if you grab the wrong one from the junk yard you can use your base. But it appears g-bodys are getting harder to find.

Attachments

• HPIM2624.JPG
    HPIM2624.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 142
  • HPIM2625.JPG
    HPIM2625.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 133
  • HPIM2626.JPG
    HPIM2626.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 132
  • HPIM2627.JPG
    HPIM2627.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 125
I think everyone should check theirs.....and if they find a spare they better grab it! I never touched the brake light fixture in the 10 years I've owned the car. I've always assumed the light worked. I know it worked a couple years ago when a friend drove it to a show and I followed behind. The socket is kind of glued together and when the glue fails the whole thing is kaput.

Mine fell apart when doing a speaker install last year. I got a strip of adheasive back LEDs on EBAY and attached it to the reflector. It works great and was very inexpensive!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Mine fell apart when doing a speaker install last year. I got a strip of adheasive back LEDs on EBAY and attached it to the reflector. It works great and was very inexpensive!

Very ingenious!

The bulb I installed yesterday is burned out already. Installed a new 1156 today. Buick dealer told me today that the fixture is discontinued. There is a supply house in Wisconsin that has 14 left for $160each.They are also on NOS4GN's website for the same price. Kirban sells just the socket for $20.

I got the LED board for the third brake light for our cars, from a vendor here like 2 years ago and still working.