Thread sealant for ARP Head Studs

I've used the teflon thread sealer and had water seeping into the oil. I followed Lee's advice and tried using Permatex Ultra Black RTV. I have not had a problem since switching. I won't put another head stud in (into water) without using RTV. Blind holes don't require any sealer.

Hey GSTOY - once you get the studs installed don't forget to torque the heads at 85lbs if you use the moly lube. Only 70lbs if using dyno oil to lube the studs and nuts. I just re-torqued my heads and had to go back to the engine builder who happened to remember he used moly during assembly.

I've used the teflon thread sealer and had water seeping into the oil. I followed Lee's advice and tried using Permatex Ultra Black RTV. I have not had a problem since switching. I won't put another head stud in (into water) without using RTV. Blind holes don't require any sealer.

Thank you very much , your reply has given my 30 + years of experience
some small amout of credibility:eek: :eek:

Hey GSTOY - once you get the studs installed don't forget to torque the heads at 85lbs if you use the moly lube. Only 70lbs if using dyno oil to lube the studs and nuts. I just re-torqued my heads and had to go back to the engine builder who happened to remember he used moly during assembly.

You have his backwards..... It is 70 ft/lbs with moly and 85 with oil. The moly lube is slicker therefore doesnt need as much umph put on it.:D

For the record I never questioned your method, but there are not 2 engine builders on earth that will do everything the same.

Stick with what works for you. or most importantly what you are comfortable doing.

This is a great post...great information....85ft/pnds with 30wt motor oil. How bout main studs with motor oil? What the torque spec there?

Dan,

You have the respect of this buick owner, in fact word has it that you build some of fastest turbo buick motors out there.

Chuck

This is a great post...great information....85ft/pnds with 30wt motor oil. How bout main studs with motor oil? What the torque spec there?

I've always use the exact same spec that was used when we align hone the block

Which is usually 100 ft lb with oil (assuming you use ARP studs)

I guess I'm the only one that uses aviation permatex. No leaks on any Buick heads I've used it on.

Well tonight was the night to get the heads on. All holes tapped to remove any debris, all surfaces cleaned and studs cleaned. I did use the 567 loctite, kneaded the tube while I was watching family guy..should be well mixed...lol :) Gosh that stuff stinks...shewww.

Since I have time because I'm waiting on my intake to get bead blasted and a TCC solonoid for the tranny, I'm in no hurry so I'm going to try the trick that I've seen in several posts about letting the bolts stretch. I torqued everything to 50 ft/lbs tonight. I plan tomorrow to go up to 60, and the day after 70 ft/lbs.

As I've said before...a huge thankyou for everyones response...it's what makes the buick community so great!!!

Steve