Ticking, Clicking, Tapping...??

Azrial89

My 87 has developed a clicking or tapping on the right side of the motor, but here is the thing it is intermittent... i will drive to work and all is well, but on the drive home at about the halfway point it will start tapping quite loud, it follows along with the RPMs. This is extremely aggravating. Does anyone have any suggestions? i have read many other tapping and clicking threads and they all seem to be constant, not intermittent. Thanks

Is the tapping/clicking coming from the valvetrain? Post a vid of the problem and let's check it out.

If it helps. it does not do it on the way to work when the air temp is about 65-70. it starts to tick halfway home when the temp is about 98-104.
[video=youtube;sqK9DDAUx98]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqK9DDAUx98[/video]

That sounds exactly like how my exhaust leak sounded on my GN when I blew a piece of header gasket out. I could have sworn it was a lifter or something internal until I found it by probing (carefully) around the headers with a piece of vacuum hose up to my ear. Try doing the same thing and probe around. If you have an exhaust leak, it will be pretty easy to pinpoint this way as the noise will get much louder when you move the hose into the vicinity of the leak.

If you don't come up with anything, pop the passenger side valve cover off and take a look. Could be a sticking lifter.

I once chased a tapping lifter for months. I must have pulled the intake 4 times to inspect. I used a set of adjustable pushrods and increased preload until I knew it was way to much. I eventually gave up on it and figured that when it gets worse I'll be able to find the culprit. Turned out to be an exhaust leak. Found it when I had to take the headers off. There was a very small hole on the bottom of one of the primaries near the flange. I saw it when looking up through the crossover exit and realized that there was a sliver of light passing through the primary tube.

ticking

could be a cam going flat,i had one that would come and go as the cam lobe wore it would tick then the lifter would pump back up

An exhaust leak would not come and go would it?? What are your BLM's on the scan master they should be high if it is an exhaust leak...

I wiped the original cam last year..sounded very similiar to yours. But yours sounds WAY louder.
My oil dipstick had fine metal particles on it. That led to pulling valve covers to check lift
and discovering a bad lobe on passenger side...Hopefully its an exhaust leak

If you do a smoke test it will find the exhaust leak. If you have a stethoscope you can pull the valve covers and listen on each rocker arm and it will show the culprit if it is a lifter.

Try adding a bottle of Marvel Mystery oil to the crankcase & drive it. I've had good luck with this lube & sticky lifters.

~JM~

I really appreciate all of the input. I just have a few comments and questions, unfortunately i do not have a scan tool... also if it is a lifter or a cam lobe wiping, why would it be intermittent? i can understand an exhaust leak possibly due to expansion and contraction. But i would think if it was a lifter or a lobe once its bad its bad and will not go back and fourth between normal and sounding like absolute hell...? Please forgive me if this is naive thinking, i do not have very much experience so far, trying to learn as i go and read info as much as i can. The smoke test you are talking about, how do you accomplish that test? Unfortunately the GN is my daily driver and i cant afford alot of down time, but from the sounds of it this maybe a bigger problem then i expected, so i will try to update on progress as i dig deeper with these tests and from the sounds of it the disassembley of the motor as well. Thanks again for the insight.

There is a smoke machine that shops sometimes use. A DIY "cheat" is to get some Seafoam at the autostoe and introduce it to the intake via a vacuum line.or you can disconnect the Intercooler pipe turn it upside down and while the engine is idling slowly pour half a bottle into the throttle once you get half way pour the rest quickly and shut the car off let it soak for a few minutes. Then start the car and watch the cloud of smoke comeout the tail pipe and you should be able to see any smoke leaking out of breaches in under the hood.
It cleans out the top cylinder area and TONS of smoke is normal.

Update: Changed oil and added an entire can of sea foam. TICK GONE! Must have been a hung up sticky lifter. Thanks to everyone and your help, i appreciate it