Time for a new Digital Camera whats good!!

BandAid

Keyboard Bully
I know this has been talked about ,but it has been awhile and a newr breed of cameras are out
I was just glancing while walking down the camera isle and notice 8mp,can someone give info on what they are usung and if they like the pictures,my current camera is a gateway 5mp and some pics turn out great and some are blurry ......the camera is about 2-3 yrs old...
Dennis :)

you talking a SLR or a regular digital? I have the Nikon D50 and its a great camera....set me back tho......

Depends on what you want to do with it. I'm a graphic artist and at work have had a nikon coolpix 5000 for 3-4 years. Paid $1000 for it, and you can now get them for about $350. You can step up to an 8mp camera that will allow you to change lenses and do a lot of the stuff manually (focus, f-stop, etc). For my personal camera I bought a Coolpix 4000 4mp camera that is the size of my cell phone. I can put it in a case on my belt or slip it in my pocket and never know its there. I acually use it a lot vs the bigger cameras which are bulky and you're afraid to take to some places cuz it will get damaged or its just a hassel.

Megapixels are way overhyped. Most people don't need anything more than a 3mp camera. A 3mp camera will give you very good quality 8x10 prints. The only need for higher mp is to print 16x20 photos or when you're shooting something that will be printed on a brochure or magazine.

For good quality prints at the local drug store or off of a photo printer you need an image that is 150 dpi. At 8x10 that is 1500 x 1200 and that equates to 1.8 megapixels. A full page magazine add needs 300 dpi so it its 8.5x11 at 300 dpi (3300x2500) = 8.4 megapixels. Remeber, your screen is only 72 dpi on your computer.

The keys to get a good quality camera at a reasonable mp. Its better to get a high quality 3mp camera with a good zoom, than it is to get a cheaper 5mp camera.

Last March I was in Breckinridge and happen to see this cool tiny digital camera and bought it.

It's a Pentax Optio S5i. 5 megapixels. I love it. So far its been a great camera and has a super long life on the battery.

I paid $600 for it. When I arrived home and checked ebay you could get them for under $400 shipping included. Probably cheaper now.

I think 5 mp's is plenty. Even with this camera and others that have more mp's I feel they are to 'Magnified'. You can see pores in the face etc. A little to detailed for me. JMHO.

HTH.

All depends on what ya want to spend I guess. I got a Sony DSC-F717 a while back & like it for the most part. 5MP, USB, Lithium battery, optical zoom isn't that high but oh well. Guy I work with got a Canon Digital Rebel about the same time. If I was to do over, so would I. Some things to think about:
1) Batteries. Rechargeable or not. If so, can they be recharged in the camera? It can be a pain to have to remove them all the time to charge them.
2) Zoom. Higher optical zoom/lower digital zoom the better.
3) USB. Have it? Most do these days I guess.
4) Interchangeable lens? Yes is good.
5) Wanna take video clips? Some can, some can't.

A place to go for reviews is http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

David

I bought a NIKON COOLPIX 7600 and I absolutely love it. It is a 7.1 mp and is the perfect size. I highly recommend it! :D

Nikon Coolpix 8700 here.

Bought it just before my son was born. I'll put up some of the better pics this thing has taken. I may eBay it and get the Nikon D50 kit. The 8700 is a great pro-sumer camera.

Bought the wife (heh, heh, heh) a Nikon D50 digital SLR for Christmas. It'll shoot at 1/4000 sec for those starting line shots. In burst mode 2.5 frames per sec, 27 shots in a row. Can't wait for BG. Think I'll get her a dirt bike next year. :D

Think I'll get her a dirt bike next year

I hope you will like your new sewing machine :D

I've suspected the mp thing was overcooked years ago. I have an old Sony 1.3mp and it takes fantastic pictures. As others have said , you can't blow those up to big but great pictures nonetheless