You can type here any text you want

Time for rear disks for 9", and future plans for fronts. Opinions and help plz.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

disco stu

I need to get some brakes so I can put the Ferd 9" in. I guess the options so far are.

1. Aerospace: look good, have heard good things on Maliburacing.com, but also have heard some bad here. Looks like a good price for fixed 4 piston calipers. Screw in dust seals and full billet construction.

2. Wilwood: race only piece? No dust seals.

3. Explorer rears: Easy to score cheap, parking brake. Still would have to decide which fronts to upgrade to in the future.

4. Baer: yeah right. No way I am spending that much dough on floating 2 piston brakes.

Also need to know what to do with the factory prop valve to facilitate rear disks since they have a 20# preload on the rears for drums.

If you have done a swap that you are very happy with please share your setup. Pics would be cool too if you had to do any backyard engineering.

Thanks Artie. I got the rear, just need to decide which brakes to go with.

disco stu said:
Thanks Artie. I got the rear, just need to decide which brakes to go with.

I run wilwoods in the front and the explorer brakes in the rear with a stock prop valve. Works great and I've hauled the car down from several 150mph passes without pulling the chute. Some people pull the valve out of the factory prop valve and use a adj prop valve. I've never had any reason to adjust the bias on mine so I never bothered.

I'm heading to the track this weekend and it shoudl be the last time out this year. I plan to pull the motor at that point so if you want those brakes I can pull them then to. I have a leaking rear seal I have to deal with anyway. None of the brake stuff got wet though.

Chris, shoot me a PM on how much you will let me have those Explorer discs for.

Back