Time to go big

Pete I told you I've been retired for almost 20 years. Money get 's ..tight after that long got to do with what you got. See ya!

The cars running great, finally fixed a transmission fluid leak in the speedo cable last night. I have an "okay" (meaning not great but drivable) tune with the FAST XFI right now. Also been trying to nail down the boost control with the ISAC. Weather has been quite warm here, so most people are avoiding taking the cars to the local dragstrips. I'm considering replacing the stock axles since a transbrake launch on my M/T drag radials might cause them to snap. Of course I was also reminded last night that replacing the stock drive shaft would be a good idea.

The money has been leaving faster than it's coming in so, I'm probably going to need to wait till the fall before doing some of those things. The important thing is a have a great base/drivetrain to build around.

If I take it to the track anytime soon, it's going to be running totally 93 octane gas with no alky. I'm learning the FAST XFI and a new motor, so no need to complicate things just yet.

Here's some pictures of my build on the 4.1 buick.

I'm noticing something about my own 4.1 that is causing concern: deck height. Looks like your pistons are all the way to the deck? Mine are right at the top too. I also have reliefs for the valves... Builder says compression should be around 9:1 with the GN1 aluminums, but I don't recall ever seeing the pistons right up to the top on a Buick V6 before? I'll have to post pics later. :confused:

4.1 deck height

My 4.1 pistons which are hypers are over .103 down in the bore. I used a .027 cometic gasket with a 4.020 diameter a 3occ dish piston and a 42cc head to get 8 to 1 compression. The tech manual says the 4.1 buick v6 stock piston was .063 in the bore. Also useing 8445 ported heads. I've had mine in the car for about 3 weeks. I have not run it wide open yet or raced itbut it feels pretty good. I am hoping for the 10 sec range with some tuning. See ya!

I have to give a super big thanks to Pat (SloGN) Broughton for the T & T (Not test and tune, but Towels and Tune :biggrin: ). I drove through the countryside, hills, curves and of course straight aways and Pat sat in the passenger seat and tuned the XFI really, really darn good.

I have to give a super big thanks to Pat (SloGN) Broughton for the T & T (Not test and tune, but Towels and Tune :biggrin: ). I drove through the countryside, hills, curves and of course straight aways and Pat sat in the passenger seat and tuned the XFI really, really darn good.

aw shucks.................. :)

Car is running great there Eric. Now turn up the wick some! 7 Psi is not cutting it!

Good Job Eric!
Bet you learned a LOT with this project!

What turbo did you end up with?

Still running the TA-49. I was going to work on getting a GT6152E that I bought from Pat (SloGN) ready for the car, but AJ (Dr. Frankenstein) quit returning my messages on the carbon seal and backing plate.

It's okay, I'll eventually get the turbo situation taken care of. No big rush.

Great job Patrick and Eric! I am glad to hear you are driving and enjoying the car :)

Great job Patrick and Eric! I am glad to hear you are driving and enjoying the car :)

Thanks Cal

I've got a pretty good grasp on tuning. Although i'm still learning at the same point. The driveability stuff is real fun to me.

I learned a few more strageies on Eric car due to it being a hot-air and how fast the manifold pressure can change and intake temps. They are totally different than a NA or a typical I/C set-up.

I really can't wait till Eric decides to lean on it some more as it pretty dang peppy with a TA-49 on a 250 CI motor A 7-8psi . But we gotta start small

Thanks Cal and Gary,

Pat I'll start upping the boost, just glad to have the car responding better than it was. At part throttle it was too sluggish feeling, but now it's much better.

Thanks!

All this work is finally paying off. This pass with on 93 w/ alky, 22 lbs of boost with transbrake launch at 5 lbs

Attachments

• IMG_0258.JPG
    IMG_0258.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 142
Way to go!!!!

Before long your gonna be getting in trouble for not having a cage!!!

BTW--That gutted intake is working great!!!!!

All this work is finally paying off. This pass with on 93 w/ alky, 22 lbs of boost with transbrake launch at 5 lbs
Very cool!! :cool:
I calculated 96 mph pluggin in some arbitrary numbers . . . .
I am only saying this because there is another member wondering what the set-up could possibly do . . So looks like "I" am on the right track.
Thanks for posting and congrats!!

. . . . . BTW--That gutted intake is working great!!!!!
Sure looks like it!
Imagine what that intake would do with some added mods . . . . :D :p
Seriously . . . This is GREAT stuff! :cool:

Yes, a Pat Broughton ported intake was the trick LOL, thanks to Richard Clark and Pat Broughton (SloGN) for all they've done.

Here's the XFI log from that pass and tune for my car during that pass.

Attachments

• New_Best_10_28_12.zip
    4.3 KB · Views: 69
Dang dude, youre flyin.....quit embarrassimg us intercooled guys.....

Dang dude, youre flyin.....quit embarrassimg us intercooled guys.....

Thanks Gary, from what I've seen the intercooled group doesn't have anything to worry about. There are a lot quicker than me. Just nice seeing a dream come true.