Time to go big

I'm running a COMP 212/212 roller cam and just regular off the shelf 10W-30 oil with a little bit of Zplus added. . . . .

Thanks Eric.
I was thinking about using 1/2 bottle of ZDDP as well, as soon as I run out of the EOS. :biggrin:

For record :tongue:; It took me 22 months, and heck, I not even need a block, crank or transmission! LOL!!!

The only major issue is with the detent cable, it's way too loose and something's not right. Shifts are way too soft. Richard's going to look into it after the TurboBuick.com event and since I have a lot of miles of breakin to go before I can be rought with it, there's no immediate concern.

Be careful with the trans. If it slips once or twice under heavy load, you could wind up having to tear it down again.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I've been easy on it and now have a total of 100 miles on the new engine. Mostly I've just been tuning idle and low throttle response, just trying to find where it likes to be in the fueling side.

Richard wants to check the shift pressures in the transmission, but he's been busy getting the shop ready for the TurboBuick.com event. So in the meantime I'm just tooling around in it getting my feet wet with it.

Heck, I haven't even tried the trans brake yet, but it will come soon enough. Patience doesn't come easy to me, but I've learned a lot of good lessons about having some.

Jerryl, 22 months! Man that would feel like eternity to me. I feel very lucky that everything's gone so smooth with my engine. All the issues I've experienced have been small and easy to fix.

Eric it's great that you have it back on the road. You can't adjust the cable for the shift points?

Hope it's all figured out for you soon.

Eric it's great that you have it back on the road. You can't adjust the cable for the shift points?

Hope it's all figured out for you soon.

I actually adjusted the cable before I read your post. It does shift nice and firm when I do that, but it hangs on to the gears a little longer than neccessary. I'm running with a Turbo Tweak SD chip right now and whenever I do the 3 step stump to adjust a parameter, the detent cable snaps back to it's normal position (Soft Shifts). Other than this little problem the cars running quite well. I'm going to install the FAST XFI in the not too distant future, just too much going on right now to bother with it.

I believe I'm in LOVE! Yesterday afternoon Richard and I went on a little test to figure out the shift issues. He pulled the TV cable all the way out and clamped it in position and told me to get on it. I gently rolled into it with half throttle to the base wastegate spring pressure of 7 lbs. Even though the AFR went to 9.5 it was pulling pretty darn hard (I've tuned that area yet). Shifts were nice and firm, so we're now convinced I need to replace the TV cable, it probably stretched over the years. I always suspected it was not good, but now I know for sure. I have a little less than 300 miles left until I'm done with my breakin period, so things are going to get really interesting soon:D

Break in

I have a little less than 300 miles left until I'm done with my breakin period, so things are going to get really interesting soon:D

300 miles? Man I usually put about 50 hwy cruise and part throttle miles on her to seat the rings and after that it's broken in at the drag strip!!!!:eek::eek:

Either way I can't wait to hear your results once you do get it going.

If it is not too much trouble, can you point me in the direction of the build specs or if they are not listed, could you write it?

Thank you
ZNix

4.1 +.020 with stock type pistons(hypers)

300 miles? Man I usually put about 50 hwy cruise and part throttle miles on her to seat the rings and after that it's broken in at the drag strip!!!!:eek::eek:

Either way I can't wait to hear your results once you do get it going.

Just put my 4.1 engine in the hot air gnx 548. Hyper pistons,218/212 roller,1.65 roller rockers, t62, 60 lb inj, 8445 iron ported, bored t/b, extrude honed intake, alchy 2 stage, ls mass air, T/A frt cover, 87 mod/coil, p/l, wide band,tt chip, Art Carr non l/u, lee Thompson trans, stainless headers/uppipe/3" d/p, 28" drag radials, 5 stars, frt skinnies, HR Parts sway bar, Gauges, Tial w/g, Dump pipe, and I will drive it 300-500 miles before it sees 20 psi on the boost gauge. Thanks Lee for the knowledge and thanks Pat for the help with the wrenches. The car idles at 850 rpm and hot 30 plus oil pressure. Tuesday I 'll get the exhaust work and start driving it when ever the sun is out! See ya!

Just put my 4.1 engine in the hot air gnx 548. Hyper pistons,218/212 roller,1.65 roller rockers, t62, 60 lb inj, 8445 iron ported, bored t/b, extrude honed intake, alchy 2 stage, ls mass air, T/A frt cover, 87 mod/coil, p/l, wide band,tt chip, Art Carr non l/u, lee Thompson trans, stainless headers/uppipe/3" d/p, 28" drag radials, 5 stars, frt skinnies, HR Parts sway bar, Gauges, Tial w/g, Dump pipe, and I will drive it 300-500 miles before it sees 20 psi on the boost gauge. Thanks Lee for the knowledge and thanks Pat for the help with the wrenches. The car idles at 850 rpm and hot 30 plus oil pressure. Tuesday I 'll get the exhaust work and start driving it when ever the sun is out! See ya!

Very nice! But my biggest mod has been.....

Cup Holders!

Attachments

• CupHolders.jpg
    CupHolders.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 161
Who was the lucky lady Eric?:biggrin:

I about spit out my coffee this morning reading this one! :redface:

Maybe I should put together a list of mods and post them on a dating site now that I'm all single and everything. If they're impressed (especially with the cupholders and stroked engine) then it'd be love at first boost.

I about spit out my coffee this morning reading this one! :redface:

Maybe I should put together a list of mods and post them on a dating site now that I'm all single and everything. If they're impressed (especially with the cupholders and stroked engine) then it'd be love at first boost.

Glad I could give you a laugh Eric.:biggrin: Ty got me the other day and part of my lunch ended up on my puter screen and keyboard.:eek: I'll get him back one of these days.:biggrin:

Man you guys are wusses!!!!:cool::D

John, I can't believe you put all that time and money into your build and went with hypers. If you need a good set of forged for you next build I got a set of 0.30 over Venolia's for ya.

Man you guys are wusses!!!!:cool::D

John, I can't believe you put all that time and money into your build and went with hypers. If you need a good set of forged for you next build I got a set of 0.30 over Venolia's for ya.
I had the block and pistons from when that was all you could get. That engine ran 12.0 with a stock turbo, 205 club cam, no alchol injection, 10 in lock up, 26" tall tires not any of the mods I have now. I'm really expecting it to hall ass. see ya!

Just wondering who did the extrude hone for you and what did it cost?

Just wondering who did the extrude hone for you and what did it cost?
Extrude Hone I think was the company it was done years ago. I remember the quote from the machine shop turned out to be alot less than the charge because extrude hone charged for an upper and a lower. This intake with a bored t/b has run 11.41 @117 in my 3.8 hot air setup. see ya!

4.1 pictures of build

Here's some pictures of my build on the 4.1 buick.

Attachments

• lll 152.jpg
    lll 152.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 264
  • lll 153.jpg
    lll 153.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 258
  • lll 154.jpg
    lll 154.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 254
  • lll 155.jpg
    lll 155.jpg