You can type here any text you want

timimg vs. boost

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

john evans

does anybody have any dyno results comparing timing increases versus boost increase for the most power.same car running low timing/high boost and then higher timing /less boost.thanks!

John, this question is too vague as it makes a blanket statement across the board.

And the vague applies to octane.

If you look at the imports that make power on a dyno using 93 octane by itself, its not uncommon to see them run 8-10 degree's total timing at 25 PSI boost and lay down 400+HP numbers. But low timing makes the car sluggish out the gate.. Low timing and high boost will yeild greater power with limited octane every time.

To get the TQ up timing does that nicely, HP.. boost.

You'll be faster with a few extra PSI than a few extra degree's.

head gaskets will stay on longer with lower timing.

thanks for the reply, razor.i'm just playing with eric's chip and your alky now that my car is running so well.by the way ,congratulations on that latest run.so close to 10's and a huge mph.wow!talk to you later.:D

Bump the timing in first/second gear a couple degree's..watch it wake up big time. :D

Go conservative on timing, but dont get over conservative. Up the boost until the car stops responding to boost increases. Add timing as the fuel allows, if it starts knocking then up the octane.

Positive spark timing is kind of a rubber band fix. Once the spark plug ignites the air fuel mixture it burns very fast but not instant. You need positive timing to "jump start" the burning process, to give it the head start it needs so that you can build the pressure to drive the piston down on the power stroke. The more heat and pressure there is to begin with the less of a jump start you need.

Start the process to early and the pressure starts building when the piston is still traveling up on the compression stroke. This will cause huge pressure spikes and try to slam the motor backwards. This kills the power and the engine itself.

Start the process to late and the pressure builds to late in the power stroke. This causes you to loose power but not the engine.

My personal theory is that boost makes intercooler hoses pop off and timing makes head gaskets pop.:D

HTH: Jason

Originally posted by postal My personal theory is that boost makes intercooler hoses pop off
HTH: Jason [/B]

This is when You need to install a BOV, after that You won´t have that problem.

No this is when you need to install better clamps and hoses.;)

Originally posted by Razor
No this is when you need to install better clamps and hoses.;)

And if You already have "heavy duty" t-bar clamps and 5-layer silicone hoses and it keeps blowing off? I´d say that´s a sign of too high pressure in the system.

Originally posted by Lunkan
And if You already have "heavy duty" t-bar clamps and 5-layer silicone hoses and it keeps blowing off? I´d say that´s a sign of too high pressure in the system.

Yes.. and your point being? :D

Tell that to the guys running 45 PSI boost ;)

BOV's create leaks.. dont want that :cool:

On a serious note only when you let off the pedal with a very large turbo are they helpful.

Originally posted by Razor
Yes.. and your point being? :D

Tell that to the guys running 45 PSI boost ;)

BOV's create leaks.. dont want that :cool:

On a serious note only when you let off the pedal with a very large turbo are they helpful.

Don´t know how they do or why don´t. Won´t argue about it.

A BOV won´t leak if it´s correctly adjusted.

Back