You can type here any text you want

timing belt/chain

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87chrisss

BLUBYU
i cant tell if my buick's timing chain has ever been replaced? i asked previous owner he doesnt know? anything to look for that would show it has or has'nt been replaced?? and my car has something around 130,000 miles would'nt the stock belt have snapped by know i get on the car pretty hard any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

No way to tell without removing front cover. It could be original and you could be playing russian roulete. I would plan on changing it. Even if you pull the cover and it has an upgraded one on there I would still concider changing it. How many miles have you put on car and how many did PO put on it? Let's say the chain was replaced at 60K miles. It now has 70K on the replacement chain.

Are you into the motor or just wondering if it's been replaced? Usually if it's been replaced the nylon gear on the cam would have been replaced also with a metal gear. If you have the chain off the gears, hold it horizontal by the end in one hand, the more it goes below the chains centerline in your hand the more worn out it is. Hard to explain on here, if you get a new chain and do this, compared to a used chain you will understand what I'm talking about. If you decide to do the timing chain, most of us do the valve springs at the same time, they wear out fairly quick, most noticeable if you race the car and lose power at the top end of the track do to valves floating.

Chuck

just wondering if it's been replaced its mostly street driven no track since ive owned it but just wondering if it has been changed? i might slap an oil gauge to see what oil psi i get on start and hot... if it's significantly high i would assume they changed the oil pump to a high volume etc what would a stock oil pump psi range on intial start (cold) and while cruising? if it has been changed they probably would have done a double roller so i dont think i would have to replace that. but maybe i'll just take the cover off and check what the heck..

My Dad used to tell me, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" of course he never owned a Buick Turbo motor. (But he's the one who got me into Buick's, I used to just stare at the 455 4barrel in the station wagon......)

Chuck

just wondering if it's been replaced its mostly street driven no track since ive owned it but just wondering if it has been changed? i might slap an oil gauge to see what oil psi i get on start and hot... if it's significantly high i would assume they changed the oil pump to a high volume etc what would a stock oil pump psi range on intial start (cold) and while cruising? if it has been changed they probably would have done a double roller so i dont think i would have to replace that. but maybe i'll just take the cover off and check what the heck..

Would be nice if you could contact the guy who owned the car before the person that sold you the car. Any chance of that?

Chuck

its been years the PO doesnt have his contact anymore but that's what i was told if it aint broke dont fix it so i'll leave it alone for know maybe after summer i can do it i mean the car at some point has had the Water pump replaced thermostat replaced to a 160 the car temp hangs arouns 160-175 and i have an rjc aftermarket power steering pulley the serpentine belt was changed out it looks like a new belt the stock turbo was upgraded so im guessing it might have been changed at one point i might be wrong a friend asked me if it was ever changed so know its on my mind and im wondering i hate that back of my mind feeling

im going lift the car up and clean very good and see if i can see any marks around timing cover from wrench socket etc maybe i can see a piece of gasket that looks newer or silicone or something?...if i cant see anything i'll change it out soon..just to give me some clarification i was hoping you guys had some type of way to tell maybe high oil psi maybe some wear on keyway or pulleys from being taken out or something

I had 130,000 on mine when I broke the main caps. Up tp that point the engine was stock right down to the valve springs. When I pulled the engine apart the nylon on cam gear was just starting to crack.. I would pull it and check it. Even if was done thats a big job. I would upgrade the front cover and maybe install a roller cam:eek: and the list goes on. I would install a double roller chain if it has not been done.

you could always pull the cam sensor and use a small mirrior to check and see if its still a nylon gear.

You can also pull the fuel pump block off plate and use a flashlite. BUT that would require removing the alt., P.S. pump. AC compressor, tensioner and bracket. But is all that is removed, you can see right int there. besides with all theat removed, you're close to removing the cover and replacing it regardless of the age. Timing chains/gears on a Buick V6 take a POUNDING. Just change it and KNOW it's done right.

The nylon on my timing gear let go before the chain did. I just pulled it off yesterday.

To be sure it has been replaced/upgraded....replace it now. Start your own service/maintenance history.

Back