You can type here any text you want

timing chain install.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rob lange

Can anyone give me step by step install directions or point me to a manual that explains how to replace a 87 gn timing chain?stock motor and replacing with stock parts or better. Had a crank seal leak and as long as Im in there thought i should do this if its not too complicated.

Contact buickman.r00td0wn.net He's made up a cd specifically for the 87 tr's, separate of all the n/a stuff. It's about $20.00.

Thanks( shadowII)just ordered cd. Now another question should I order a new chain set now?will I be able to do this swap with my hand tools or do I need some special tool? I would like to order a set with a tensioner I donot race , just want reliability.The stocker that is in now is not wore or broke just want to change it while i have the cover off.

Hand tools only. It's a fairly straightforward job. You will need room to place all the parts that will be pulled off the engine.

Beware of a hidden timing cover bolt just above the pump cavity area. It's countersunk down in a hole.

Yes I have taken everything off already ,looking at the chain everything looks good ,ordered a new cam button, and oil pump kit,with thrust plate.new stock cover.

Some things you will need are a 1/2'' drive long breaker bar i use one thats 2 ft long or as mentioned an impact if you have one available. Also you will need a torque wrench the balancer bolt torque is 219 ft.lbs when you put it back together, i use a 2 ft long torque wrench to do this. The auto parts stores may loan these tools out if you don't have them and don't want to buy them.

If you do use a breaker bar to remove the balancer bolt you will need to stop the crankshaft from rotating, i clamp a set of visegrips onto the flexplate and it will wedge up against the block and stop the crankshaft from rotating while removing the bolt and also when reinstalling the bolt when you torque it down,this works great i've done it many times.

Getting ready to replace the timing cover ,got a new fel-pro gasket set ,should I re-use the pan gasket, I think its'rubber, or cut it off and use the small piece that came with the new set?

..........should I re-use the pan gasket, I think its'rubber, or cut it off and use the small piece that came with the new set?

Either of those 2 choices will guarantee a leak. :eek:

I prefer a cork pan gasket, when installed properly, no leaks. :)

ok, what about the coyles timing chain set sold by kirbin? is this a good replacement for my stock chain set up ? (stock motor)I just want to replace with something that will work and I dont race just a street car.

That chain is fine. Personal experience says you need to replace it before it gets 100,000 miles on it. I would go ahead and drop the pan while you've got it down this far. That way you can verify there's no debris in the pan and pickup -OR- you can remove any debris in the pan and pickup. It's only 17 pan bolts and 4 exhaust bolts.
if the pan doesn't want drop clear, turn the crank 90 then 180 to swing the rear counterweights up and out of the way.

If you don't want to drop the pan, you can slide the dowels out of the block, put the cover in place and reinstall the dowels. Or you can get a can of 'The Right Stuff' RTV sealant and use it instead of that cork gasket piece.

After I bought mine,I read some post saying that some chains gears wear out after 5k miles? how long can I expect out of the Coyles set ?

Back