You can type here any text you want

timing chain replacement???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1fast6

Gonna change the stock tc. 78,000 miles. figure i better do it while it's still together.

I am using the edelbrock double roller with stock camshaft. Do I need to get a cam button?

Does the cam sensor need to come out?

Any other tips let me know. I am going to start this tomorrow.

Yes, get a cam button and look to see if your cover is scarred up, may need to be smoothed out. I don't believe you HAVE to take the cam sensor out but you might as well, it will have to be set afterwards. Just be sure to drive everything on straight, so the chain is not in a bind and line the dots on the gears up for TDC. Used Blue loc tite in the cam bolts and you should be good to go.

Attachments

• Summer 2010 176.jpg
    Summer 2010 176.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 540
Speaking of TDC, what is the most reliable way to find it? I've heard of the 'put your finger on the spark plug hole until it builds pressure' method, but that seems pretty subjective. Since TDC is critical (isn't it?), is'nt there a precise way to determine it?

Timing chain

You will need to pull the Cam Sensor and Crank sensor. Get the roller cam button. TDC for installing the chain will be achieved when you go dot to dot on the TC install. Previous poster was right will need some loc tite on the cam to sprocket bolts and some red loc tite for the Balancer pully.

Clean the motor well upfront before dissasembly! be careful getting the tC cover off there are hidden bolts you can pry slightly but if you need strong effort there is probably a bolt still in there.

make sure you have a TC gasket set and some RTV.

Mine was done while the engine was pulled, just make notes or take pics so you can re assemble correctly. BTW RTV all the bolts going into the block, there are only a few that need it but I didn't know which ones they were so I did all.

Speaking of TDC, what is the most reliable way to find it? I've heard of the 'put your finger on the spark plug hole until it builds pressure' method, but that seems pretty subjective. Since TDC is critical (isn't it?), is'nt there a precise way to determine it?

The "key" on the crank should be like the one in the pic.

Degree wheel and piston stop

i noticed several vendors offer several different cam buttons. Ranging in price from 15.99 to 45.00 What's the difference? One says for flat tappet cam other says for roller cam. I am running stock cam so do I need the one for the flat tapppet? Thanks.

Just get the newer style button, and be done with it.

999552.jpg

Got mine from Napa for under $25

Pull the valve cover off. Turn the engine over by hand until you see the intake valve close, then keep turning until the timing mark on the balancer is at TDC on the timing mark.

Back