You can type here any text you want

Timing Chain & Valve Springs Replacement

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbojay

I am thinking of getting the timing chain & valve springs replaced on my 87 GN. It currently has 129,000 miles and everything internal is stock. I wanted to know while I am getting these two things done, is there anything else I should get replaced that could be worn out on the engine due to age and the miles? What about the following:

- Rear main seal
- water pump

Anything else? Thanks in advance.

I am thinking of getting the timing chain & valve springs replaced on my 87 GN. It currently has 129,000 miles and everything internal is stock. I wanted to know while I am getting these two things done, is there anything else I should get replaced that could be worn out on the engine due to age and the miles? What about the following:

- Rear main seal
- water pump

Anything else? Thanks in advance.

Timing chain and valvesprings are a good place to start. I put a Edelbrock double roller in my GN last February and havent had a problem. Also did a rear main seal, water pump, fuel filter, rear brakes, 1LE front swaybar; and new front KYB shocks. I havent gotten to do the Comp 980 valvesprings yet, but probably will once the weather breaks.

There alot of little things you can do. I tossed on a Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt and a braided turbo feed line while I was in there. Also cleaned and painted many of the parts as well. Cleaned and painted the timing cover, IC and oil pan while they were all off.

Do Earl Browns oil pump mods while you have the cover off.

Charlief1 - Can you please give me some more information about this mod? Is it a particular brand of oil pump?

Edit: I did a search and found it...I will research it further...thanks.

If you are doing it yourself and you have never done a timing chain/valve spring replacement before, I don't recommend tackling them on the same weekend.

There isn't much synergy between these two, like there would be with say a turbo install and timing chain. The only thing the timing chain replacement gets you is it's easier to get the keeper that falls into the crossmember with the front of the motor off, but a magnet would have prevented it from getting away in the first place.

The first time I did a timing chain was also the first time I did a valve spring replacement. Though I learned a lot of what not to do, I thing I spent about 18 hours that weekend working on my friends car.

Read it two or three times before you decide to do it. It does take a while but it IS worth the time you spend.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am having a very qualified mechanic do these installs for me. I'm hoping to watch and learn though.

Back