timing chain

I'm running the Competition Cams 3129 in my engine now. So far, so good. Had the Cloyes true roller in my last engine and that was actually tighter than the Comp. Both are excellent choices. :)

is the comp #3129 not a double roller? I still need to buy a timing set for the roller cam kit I just bought, I was going to go with the Rollmaster since I hear so many good things about it.

I had a cloyes in my other engine with a flat tappet cam and when it wiped a lobe I pulled the engine apart less than 5k miles on it and it was stretched real bad.

Thoughts?

TA Performance

I have a TA Performance double roller for sale, only used for mockup.

Model # TA _ 1523a _ standard

I ended up having to go with an oversized gear due to the line hone.

Send me an IM if you are interested.

ta-1523

Is'nt the TA performance 1523B same as the rollmaster double roller timing set. The crank gear has approx. 6 key ways to dial in the cam.

hows the CLOYES Street TRUE ROLLER? heard some of these chains wipe out the tensioner inside the cover?

and replace the cam button while I'm there?

Yes, replace Cam button, cheap insurance, your there anyhow. And I do believe going with a double roller timing chain, the tensioner is not used, don’t quote me on that, I could be wrong.

Yes, replace Cam button, cheap insurance, your there anyhow. And I do believe going with a double roller timing chain, the tensioner is not used, don’t quote me on that, I could be wrong.
Yep maybe but heard double rollers chew up that tensioner..

If the roller chain has straight links then it's ok to use the damper/tensioner. I used one on a double roller years ago. After 50K miles the damper/tensioner had very little wear.

Yep maybe but heard double rollers chew up that tensioner..
that is correct.
Get a timing set with an IWIS chain. Those are the preferred higher quality chains. RollMaster sets have IWIS chains.

Do not use a tensioner with it.

Here's a picture of an engine with a double roller chain with a damper/tensioner that had 52K miles on it.
P1010120.JPG

I can't believe I'm the first person to ask this....

What kind of cam and valve springs are you going to run?

There's no need to buy some hi dollar, double roller, blah blah blah, if you're running a small flat tappet or stock cam.

Personally I like the stock nylon coated alum POS that was installed from the factory on cams that can use it. Granted, it does like to strip out after over 100,000+ miles of use, so I guess it's got that going against it.