You can type here any text you want

Timing Issues at higher RPM?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

karolko

Hey guys,

I finally got the car running again and i went to verify timing and i got the base timing correct and then went to verify at 3500rpm.

The problem i found is that the timing mark bounces around at the higher rpm. i have it locked at 30* but it bounces from 28-32* when at 3500 rpm.

What is thae cause of this, is it normal (i don't think it is) and how do i go about fixing it.

Car is running xfi, xim and stock crank and cam sensors.

Thanks in advance,

Adrian

Laz,

When i checked the timing i went into operational parameters and clicked the fixed timing test advance and set it to 30*. Now shouldn't that override al the other timing settings?

Secondly when you mentino timing trim, at you talking about the spark offset vs coolant temp and air temp?

Adrian

timing trim= idle spark, gets shut off when tps is above min tps and rpm is above min idle speed.

inductive delay is 96.

Norbs, i guess timing trim would be irrelavent since it is being reved

Where do i find the min tps and min idle speed?

Slightly confused still. Should the number i see when shining the crank light be dancing around above a nd below 30* when i hold it at 3000rpm? or should bit be perfectly locked in at 30*?

Adrian

with xim, i believe you should have ipu selected, and the inductive delay should be 40, try that first

Hmmm well i set it to 40 and when at 4000 rpm it still likes to dance around a little bit. I wonder if it the quality of the timing light that may be throwing of the mark or what.

i did move it to 50ms and the 60ms and i didn't see much difference or change,

I would like to say that it's close to 30, but it still moves aroudn a little, and is not locked in like at idle.

Any other recommendations or ideas of what this could be?

Adrian

Try a non dial back timing light see it it helps......

okay got my hands on a non dial back MSD timing light and it really did help alot,

The CRA is set and now when at 4000rpm it is a little off, It think 1 degree or so.

My next question is does anyone have an idea how many ms is equal to 1 degree?

Adrian

Adrian, I'm back in Florida now. Give me a call if you still need some assistance.

Back