You can type here any text you want

Timing set advice

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Dont back up ...go one direction, backing up will allow timing set movement/lash and alter readings. Just watch your indicator and stop at .050 from base circle on the closing side.

As I said I'm a rooky with the degree wheel..... so...starting a 0 degrees, at TDC compression. I can turn the crank all the way around one revolution, and as the intake lifter/pushrod comes up to .050" I got to 005 degrees.

Make sense?
5* atdc. Id just run it right where it is. I wouldnt advance it more than 2*. That cam probably could have been a little better with a little more intake duration.

Starting at TDC I rotate the engine CW until I start seeing the intake lobe raising the gauge, and I stop at .050 and read the wheel (about 007 degrees), and I keep on going through max lift and down the other side to find/verify base circle and come back up that side to the .050 point and measure (about 207 degrees).

???? 207 divide by 2 equals 103.5 degrees. You sure your numbers are right?

I always take my measurements .050" down off max lift to find lobe center. Always rotate your crank CW, don't back up.

No those numbers were not right. I had several scribbled on a piece of scratch paper down in the garage and the wrong ones stuck in my mind.

I just ran down and checked again. The front side .050 is at 007 degrees, and back side .050 is at 207 degrees.

207 + 7 = 214 / 2 = 107

So I think I undrestand about degreeing the cam, but one of my later questions was:

Are we able (with a degree wheel) to determine if there is in fact some advance built into a given (with the zero marks lined up) cam as some have illuded to???

It doesn't matter if advance was ground into it since you know you are at 107 intake centerline. From there if you wanted to advance it more the cam would need to be turned clockwise relative to the cam gear if you grind the holes in the gear out or you buy a timing set with a multi key way and advance it from there and re-check it.

Thanks, understood. I'll likely end up getting a rollmaster set, unless TA can get more of the sets in that I really want.

Thanks, understood. I'll likely end up getting a rollmaster set, unless TA can get more of the sets in that I really want.

Back