Tinting Tail lights.....

DailyDrifter

The Slow and the Curious
Just curious who has tinted tail lights and how did you do it. I know they make "nightshades" but that looks kindda cheesy if you ask me. I'm not taking mine to a bodyshop to have them done. I have the guns and I bought Jet black and Clear coat. Does anyone have any tips for making them look good? Do you spray the black base down first then clear, or can you mix the black with the clear and spray it on like that?

Neither one theres a product that used to be marketed as a spray window tint but it sucked for that purpose but it works beautifully on taillights marker lights etc...So they changed the name to spray lens tent or something like that i believe summit stocks it, autozone and murrays(oreileys )used to but that was a while ago..good luck...

That was fast. I'll check summit out. I want this to look professional, not like some moron did it half buzzed (I only had a couple so far :eek: ;) )

I like the look....just don't like the cops attention.
A few months back I was out on a cruise with the local Turbo Buick crowd. We were going down the PCH through Huntington Beach. There were like 12+ Turbo Buicks.

I was in the middle of the line up and the guy in the GN in front of me had tinted tail lites.

We weren't acting illegal or anyting, cruising with traffic at about 10-15 mph.....but out of no where a motorcycle cop splits the lane next to my driver door, cuts in front of me and pulls the other GN over.

The rest of us kept rolling per a common understanding we all have so this wouldn't turn into a fix it ticket bonanza on the whole crew. Huntington Beach cops along the PCH have a bit of an attitude sometimes.

Later when the victim caught back up to us, he said the cop told him he pulled him over because of the tint on his tail lights. The cop was cool otherwise, just asked him a few questions and let him go with no tickets (he could have had a hayday), but still....who needs that kinda harassment?:rolleyes:

Just posting this for your consideration before you attach a cop magnet to your back side.

Get some LED bulbs for the tail lights and the tint won't look so dark. LED running lights are much brighter then stock running bulbs. Might keep the Police away.

I like the look....just don't like the cops attention.
A few months back I was out on a cruise with the local Turbo Buick crowd. We were going down the PCH through Huntington Beach. There were like 12+ Turbo Buicks.

I was in the middle of the line up and the guy in the GN in front of me had tinted tail lites.

We weren't acting illegal or anyting, cruising with traffic at about 10-15 mph.....but out of no where a motorcycle cop splits the lane next to my driver door, cuts in front of me and pulls the other GN over.

The rest of us kept rolling per a common understanding we all have so this wouldn't turn into a fix it ticket bonanza on the whole crew. Huntington Beach cops along the PCH have a bit of an attitude sometimes.

Later when the victim caught back up to us, he said the cop told him he pulled him over because of the tint on his tail lights. The cop was cool otherwise, just asked him a few questions and let him go with no tickets (he could have had a hayday), but still....who needs that kinda harassment?:rolleyes:

Just posting this for your consideration before you attach a cop magnet to your back side.

I'm actually doing it on the Nissan, but I'm testing on a set off front bumper lights on the Buick. As soon as I put window tint on this car (only 2 windows on each side) I got pulled over in PA at 2AM for......................you guessed it Window tint(no ticket BTW). Down In NC they could care less about window tint.

Basically I dont want to get pulled over, I just want my car to look good :cool: , Even I guess if that means getting pulled over :eek: .

Get some LED bulbs for the tail lights and the tint won't look so dark. LED running lights are much brighter then stock running bulbs. Might keep the Police away.

I'm nice to cops, they love me. I think I helped pay for a new Police station :rolleyes:

Leds are a good idea.

just a buyer beware.....
dont buy them from the guy who sells them on ebay,
he truly means it when he says "SOLD AS IS"
and don't expect any communication after you've been sent a broken taillight.

how this guy has 100% feedback is beyond me....

if you have a hobbie shop you can get Testors modle paint transparent black s-2949. the only place I know that still selld VHT night shades is summit and jegs the local auto stores have stopped carring it but can order it for you.

Tinted Taillights

I purchased a set from e-bay, were very nice, packaged very well, and look great on my car. I only drive it a couple hundred miles a year and I am an old man so the police don't harass me much. Would be hard to put down the fellow on e-bay as mine were almost perfect.

I had my GN's taillight professionally tinted at Jon's Tinted Tails | Home Page and they look great!...You can also choose how dark you want them too!...
(See pic below)

Claude.

P.S: Go to their gallery in the "Buick" section and the GN pictured is actually MY car...:wink:

Tinted tail lights

Talk to your local paint supply store. Not sure of the process but House of Kolor has a kandy black that is made for this purpose.

Talk to your local paint supply store. Not sure of the process but House of Kolor has a kandy black that is made for this purpose.

Bingo, that might be the ticket, Thanks Suicide.

I'll probably end up getting LED's for the back, I dont want anyone hitting my Nissan or the Buick :eek: and sueing me for not being able to see the lights (people are retarded nowadays:rolleyes: )

Yeah I went this way too. I got the DigiTails and even with my tails tinted "medium" (from John's Tinted Tails) the lights are much brighter than the stock setup.

John will get the lights back to you within 3 days. For the complete look, I also had my turn signals and third brake light done. Looks real nice IMO.

On two different occasions I've received compliments from VA State Troopers on my tail lights (both in the daytime), so I guess they are bright and safe enough.

Go for it!

Check out a video of my setup here --> LED Correct Operation.avi - 4.55MB