To XFI or not to XFI

kolb02

I just got a new motor from Nick Micale for my 86 T Type. It's a stock bottom end with forged pistons. Has a roller cam and ported heads and intake. It also has a TA64 Turbo. My question is what should I do for tuning this thing? I'm a good wrench and ok with a computer. I have had many other injected fast cars, Mustangs and a Lightning that have major mods done to them. I have relied on tuners across the country to get the cars dialed in with the factory ECM. Would using XFI be a lot easier to get my Regal dialed in remotely by someone that tunes these things? Or do I save the money cause the factory ECM is plenty fine for my setup?

Why not speak with nick. He will guide you in the correct direction depending on your needs wants and goals

We have talked about it. But Im still waiting to hear back from him. He was going to talk to a friend and get back to me.

How quick do you want to go, and how hard will you have to push your parts to get there, and how consistent do you want it to be from pass to pass? If you build a combo that can run 10's turned all the way up, and turn it down and run 11.0's or slower so it is nice and safe, stay with the stock ecm and a chip. If you want to run mid 10's or quicker all the time I think it will be safer and more consistent to go ahead to an xfi (or a used classic fast), especially if you plan to keep going faster in the future. Others will have different thresholds, and it is true that some have gone well into the 9's with the stock ecm, but at that level you are manually touching up the tune with every pass and hoping that nothing goes too wrong or you lose the headgaskets. You can use an extender extreme or the turbotweak sd system and have better tuneability and safety than the stock maf set up, but the total cost will begin to approach an xfi. Anyway, that's my $0.02.

Thanks for your input! I always start out saying I just want an 11.0 car then it goes to 10.0. Lol. I'm not going to cage it but if I could run high 10's that would be great. The car already has a scan master and maf translator and chip.