too hot w/FMIC

Expected temps here in st. Louis are around 100 degrees with a heat index around 110... I will post back this afternoon with my temps.... Going to work they were 164-174 and it's already mid 80s at 7am

just got home recently... on the highway temps were around 176-178º..... stop and go traffic around 186-188º .... by the time i got home it was at 184º.....

one thing though, i dont have A/C so maybe that is a difference for some of you....

hth.
aaron

You can get one of my radiators and be done. Direct bolt on, built in coolers, etc. Plenty of positive reviews. I run one on my car as well with a FMIC. Good luck.

hello people; On that Dual fan setup from G bodies. If anyone has one (as I can't get thru to ask) but does the bracket line up with OEM holes? It looks like they do.
IBBY

Just worked on a GN with a GN1 Perf/TR custom alum radiator, Spal fans and a PTE FMIC. And the fans DO NOT clear the piping. They are resting against them and we are going to mod to clear

I have a ESP FMIC and the jegs fans clear the piping.

The Jegs fans are alot lower profile than the SPALs. Not saying SPALS arent a good fan just saying my my experience.

I will never run the Intrepid/Ramcharger/Gbody fans agian I had the motors burn up in 2 sets..even with the hotwire.

Just worked on a GN with a GN1 Perf/TR custom alum radiator, Spal fans and a PTE FMIC. And the fans DO NOT clear the piping. They are resting against them and we are going to mod to clear

I have a ESP FMIC and the jegs fans clear the piping.

The Jegs fans are alot lower profile than the SPALs. Not saying SPALS arent a good fan just saying my my experience.

I will never run the Intrepid/Ramcharger/Gbody fans agian I had the motors burn up in 2 sets..even with the hotwire.

I am running the Fbody Rad, Dual 12" SPAL fans, Precision Front Mount, Still have AC, am running the B&M Supercooler for engine, and Haynes 1679 Transmission cooler. Everything does clear. You may have to modify the rubber radiator cushions on the bottom slightly but everything fits perfect. I have 1/4" clearance between the passenger side fan motor and the turbo outlet pipe. I mounted the fans directly to the radiator sealed with some thin adhesive household weatherstripping. There is only about 3/8" of exposed fins on each side of the fans and they cover perfect top to bottom. I do not have the area boxed in so it is all wide open around the intercooler and other coolers. I filled the system with 1 gallon of antifreeze and the rest with distilled water. My temp in bumper to bumper slow red light to red light traffic is about 168. Cruising temps are around 175 and the highest temp i saw was passing a big rig up a steep incline at 17psi and it got up to 193 then cooled right back down to the mid 170s. Sitting in my garage these fans still hold a sheet of paper to the grill. The only thing i want to add is the box in kit by GNS performance. I would recommend this setup to anyone! For once on a buick I dont have to worry about what the operating temperature of the car is!
HTH
Brian

I am running the Fbody Rad, Dual 12" SPAL fans, Precision Front Mount, Still have AC, am running the B&M Supercooler for engine, and Haynes 1679 Transmission cooler. Everything does clear. You may have to modify the rubber radiator cushions on the bottom slightly but everything fits perfect. I have 1/4" clearance between the passenger side fan motor and the turbo outlet pipe. I mounted the fans directly to the radiator sealed with some thin adhesive household weatherstripping. There is only about 3/8" of exposed fins on each side of the fans and they cover perfect top to bottom. I do not have the area boxed in so it is all wide open around the intercooler and other coolers. I filled the system with 1 gallon of antifreeze and the rest with distilled water. My temp in bumper to bumper slow red light to red light traffic is about 168. Cruising temps are around 175 and the highest temp i saw was passing a big rig up a steep incline at 17psi and it got up to 193 then cooled right back down to the mid 170s. Sitting in my garage these fans still hold a sheet of paper to the grill. The only thing i want to add is the box in kit by GNS performance. I would recommend this setup to anyone! For once on a buick I dont have to worry about what the operating temperature of the car is!
HTH
Brian

The radiator he has is thicker so thats why it doesnt clear

The radiator he has is thicker so thats why it doesnt clear

I understand that...that was why i posted my combo to show that there is a radiator that works with the SPAL fans. wasnt trying to argue, just show another possiblity. sorry for the confusion.
:cool:

hello people; boosted 3 what's th P/n on that dual spal fan that's got you so coool.
IBBY
also could you post a pic of the front of your car showing the PTE FMIC. I know I don't know how to do it.
thanks man

hello people; boosted 3 what's th P/n on that dual spal fan that's got you so coool.
IBBY
also could you post a pic of the front of your car showing the PTE FMIC. I know I don't know how to do it.
thanks man

The part# for the fans is 30102130. Here is a link to them on the SPAL website. SPAL USA
You must use the Caspers harness for dual spal fans and you must change out the plug ends that connect to the fans because the dual 12"s use a heavy duty sealed plug. Caspers did the modification for me before they shipped them out. The connectors are GM Delphi/Packard 2 way metripack 280 sealed connectors in case you would like to do the modification yourself. Someone had posted in a different thread that when they got their kit it already had those connectors installed so you may want to specify which plug you get just to make sure it comes correctly. I could only find one pic of the FMIC and it has the grill installed. if you would like more detailed pics let me know and ill see what i can do. Ill be installing Razors alky kit on monday and tuesday so i could take some pics if you would like.

I also included a few pics of the fans mounted to the radiator..Aside of a couple missed drills through the aluminum it turned out like i wanted it to. I was going to replace the aluminum pieces with new ones that didnt have unused holes in them but $25 of extra aluminum wasnt in the budget. :frown:
Luckily one of the holes is covered by the radiator hold down so it doesnt look too bad.
Thanks
Brian

Attachments

• buick front mount.jpg
    buick front mount.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 267
  • DSCN4944.jpg
    DSCN4944.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 250
  • DSCN4945.jpg
    DSCN4945.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 253
  • DSCN4946.jpg
    DSCN4946.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 250
I say try the cheapest thing 1st & that doesn't help then go for the fans/radiators etc. I use RMI-25 & distilled water no anti-freeze. I live in Miami & even w/o a FMIC my car was running 190-200, and yes I do have a 160 T-stat. Added the RMI-25 & distilled water & my temps dropped about 20 degrees. I then added the dual fans & it dropped even more. I still wanted colder & eventually got an aluminum radiator. Now it runs at about 165-170 highway & 175-180 in traffic. Not saying all these other guys are wrong, but this is just from my personal experience.

I say try the cheapest thing 1st & that doesn't help then go for the fans/radiators etc. I use RMI-25 & distilled water no anti-freeze. I live in Miami & even w/o a FMIC my car was running 190-200, and yes I do have a 160 T-stat. Added the RMI-25 & distilled water & my temps dropped about 20 degrees. I then added the dual fans & it dropped even more. I still wanted colder & eventually got an aluminum radiator. Now it runs at about 165-170 highway & 175-180 in traffic. Not saying all these other guys are wrong, but this is just from my personal experience.

You are 100% Correct... my post is ASSuming that he has a good working cooling system.... which would be CLEAN and efficient .... if your cooling passages are gummed up, your radiator caked up with rust, or your water pump not up to par to begin with ----- YOU WILL ALWAYS have problems... so FIRST, get all the basics taken care of.....

I've yet to see anyone with a bigger single spal fan {16' or bigger} that takes up tha whole radiator core. Is there a specific reason not too? I'm thinking, "fan covers entire rad", but only one motor = less current draw! Am I missing something?:confused:

I just installed a 160 degree thermo and it ran hotter then hell!!!! around 203-204 hiway...thought it would cool down but it didnt...maybe a full radiator would help. i did install it right. but with the previous one it ran a good 170ish. what went wrong? I will fill the rad to the top and try it again it has to cool down now...Thanks

I just installed a 160 degree thermo and it ran hotter then hell!!!! around 203-204 hiway...thought it would cool down but it didnt...maybe a full radiator would help. i did install it right. but with the previous one it ran a good 170ish. what went wrong? I will fill the rad to the top and try it again it has to cool down now...Thanks

ya have air in the system.. heater work ??