Torco octane booster

Hi,
I don't think a quart of anything is going to appreciably raise the octane number of a tank full of pump gas.In your lawnmower, it would make a difference, but this stuff is usually Toluene,with a lubricant. Do a Google on octane boosters.It was very enlightening for me to read about this stuff.The bottom line is, percentages.

I used to run Torrco years back in hi-comp ATV's. It was a lot cheaper than race fuel. I believe it did raise the octane by as much as 10-15 points. There is instuctions on the can to get the octane you want by mixing x gallons of super unlead, reg. unlead etc. We were hill shooting and anything less than 106 octane would knock detonate like crazy. I ran super unlead with the Torrco and had no issues shooting the hill. Torrco is not like those octane boosters at autozone that bump the octane by .0004 octane. The only downside i saw in my opinion was more build up of sludge/carbon whatever on the underside of the cyclinder head compared to the guys running a straight race fuel. We were tearing the motors apart every month or so for a long time looking at wear on parts we were having produced. We were running TI custom made rods, valves, cams, springs etc. I did not have a problem using torrco in a high load drag application. Never tried it in the GN but did for years on single cyclinder yamaha raptor motors bored 102mm or 105mm with as high at 13-1 comp (actual). Guys were spending up to 7000 dollars getting these motors built. I used to change out the carb jets and run alky for fuel for a weekend and it would clean up the inside of the combustion chamber in a hurry.

Keep in mind that in octane lingo and / or octane booster lingo, 1 point is 1/10 of an octane #, so 10 points =1 octane, or you just went from 91 octane to 92 octane with a 10 point increase. (Approximately)

I have purchased some but do not have any results yet. Wells, 87ltdt the instructions claim of you mix 10 gallons of 93 unleaded with one can of addittive you will have 104 octaine unleaded. I could let you know in the spring if the stuff works.

Attachments

• P1010179.jpg
    P1010179.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 3,278
I did the math...and the octane equivalent required in this quart of solution to obtain the overall claimed octane ratings is:

417 to result in 20.25 gallons of 97 octane

544 to result in 10.25 gallons of 104 octane

387 to result in 5.25 gallons of 107 octane

The large differences in calculated equivalent octane in this quart of fluid is more than a rounding type discrepancy. For example, if the octane equivalent in the can is really 544 then it would treat 5 gallons of 93 octane and result in 5.25 gallons of 114.5 octane fuel...not 107 as claimed.

Something is not right here. You already have the can, and plan to use it. Just be careful as you raise the boost and listen for knock.

Regards, Bob

I would beleive the a can of tetraethyl lead concentrate could raise octane like that, or maybe a can of MTBE (I don't know much about MTBE). But like Wells said... most everything out there is based on points. (what a scam)

I have used the torco additives before. I mixed it up to make ~110, but the car still showed plenty of knock retard. So I say nay.... its not as good as the real stuff.

I have purchased some but do not have any results yet. Wells, 87ltdt the instructions claim of you mix 10 gallons of 93 unleaded with one can of addittive you will have 104 octaine unleaded. I could let you know in the spring if the stuff works.
------------------------------
I am not doubting the claim on the reverse of the can, I am merely stating that 10 points in octane and / or octane booster speak is 1 octane #. 10 points = 1 octane #, that and nothing more. So that means that the either the claim on the reverse of the container is incorrect, or the statement," I believe it did raise the octane by as much as 10-15 points." made by "14mins" is incorrect, you choose. FWIW, Dennis Kirban a few months back ibn a newsletter was asking about the results of it, and I have heard other testamonial that it is one of the best, or the best octane booster out there available. I currently run 100 octane unleaded V.P. at about $ 6.00 a gal, but will be switching over to methanol/alcohol sometime shortly. If you read the back label or the extra fine print of almost all of the commonly available octane boosters they have something named "mtnb" or something like that and it will turn sparkplugs orange, and foul your 02 sensor and your cat. If I was bound and determined to play with octane booster in a turbo brick, it would be "Torco". The other stuff is pretty much junk. Dyno before, add Torco, raise boost, dyno after?

Thanks for your input. My plan was to try the stuff out this summer by slowly raising boost while checking for knock. Does it do what it claims? I don't know. Cam2 unleaded around here was $5.29 a gallon. If this stuff works it would only come to about $3.80 a gallon at the 104 mixture. I guess I'll be the test dummy.

One of the reasons I am interested in trying it is that I have been purchasing Sunoco GT100 unleaded from a local repair place/speed shop who stocks several 55 gallon drums of race gas. (both leaded and unleaded)
I usually mix 5 gallons of 93 pump and 5 gallons of GT100. When I had some work done recently, my mechanic told me that the gas in my tank was bad and stale.
Since I know that it was only a couple of months old, my suspicions are that the speed shop probably doesnt sell much of it and who knows how long the drum has been in his shop.
That was one of the main reasons I thought of trying the Torco.

octane

the stuff works for me !!
i run a can in 10 gals. i use my street chip 19 degrees of timing with the boost i run at the track 21 lbs on a cpt 61 .
no knock on scanmaster.
mike s

Hi,
Since the stuff is purported to turn sparkplugs reddish, I would guess the main ingredient is MTBE, or Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether,a common hydrocarbon,and also under the gun because of toxicity,especially in groudwater.All gasolines contain a trace of this stuff.After the lead mandates came down in the 80s,this was the octane enhancing substitute that was devised.Otherwise, we would be all driving 7:1 compression dogs, instead of our high compression, or turbo/supercharged rides.I guess I got off on a tangent here, but background information is important, too.

So their instructions are saying that just ONE CAN of this stuff, turns TEN GALLONS of 93 into 104 eh....... Id like to see that. I would LOVE for that to be true too... But to be honest, if that were really true, a TR enthusiast would have SOMEwhere, at SOME point in time, already ran into it, and tried it. and either blew their engine to kingdom come, or got zero KR on it, at which point he would have come up on here, and professed its capabilities the very next minute. I havent seen any threads on that stuff i a while... Not saying it dont work but... you better have a decent boost gauge, an audible knock gauge, and a scanmaster in that car, and start at 14 lbs, and work up VEERRY slowly. I wanna see this...

I am interested in seeing results.

I 100 unleaded (xylene mix) all the time for the past 3 years now.

I have a friend that swears buy it how it effectively it can raise the octane that much.

sounds like its STILL better to add the same volume of race gas to your tank. Cheaper too.

Its doing something else other than octane to supress knock... which it indeed might do. My tests of similar products years ago was that IF I was on the edge of knock or was just tickling the sensor, this sort of product worked. Anything other than that, all I got for my trouble were plugs that couldnt be read properly.

Just thought I would reply to my own posting. I had been running 21 boost with Erics Alky chip and Razors Alky kit. Had the dial on the alky set to number 6 and got little (.02) or no knock in 3rd gear.
I added a quart of Torco to a full tank of gas (tank holds 18 gallons I think) and drove with the alky dial still at number 6.
I kept turning the alky dial down and still no knock at WOT in 3rd gear. I currently have the alky dial at set just over number 1 and I have zero knock.
Again, not sure if there is any down side to using it with the Alky but wanted to give it a try.

Just thought I would reply to my own posting. I had been running 21 boost with Erics Alky chip and Razors Alky kit. Had the dial on the alky set to number 6 and got little (.02) or no knock in 3rd gear.
I added a quart of Torco to a full tank of gas (tank holds 18 gallons I think) and drove with the alky dial still at number 6.
I kept turning the alky dial down and still no knock at WOT in 3rd gear. I currently have the alky dial at set just over number 1 and I have zero knock.
Again, not sure if there is any down side to using it with the Alky but wanted to give it a try.

I can't seem to find a cheap supplier. Were can I get it?

I can't seem to find a cheap supplier. Were can I get it?
-----------------------------
Try CorvetteForum.com. Used to be some sources over there. May not be available for the price that you would like, too. HTH