You can type here any text you want

Tr6 diag works..but still an issue

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Steve V

Steve V's Automotive 757 560 2782
Tr6 set a code 16 on the tach. So I checked cam sensor phasing and it was retarded. Not sure why it set loss of signal code instead of out of adjustment code.

Car was running great with new ar 133s. Did a Wot blast and pop and ses in 2nd gear. Ses goes out no dtc, car always recovers when gas is lifted. Will stall if held. Checked the usual..grounds..cables..ic hoses..no dice. Sunday looks like i take the tr6 of to rule that out. Then try an ecm and another chip from my T. Fuel pressure good with kb guage on hood.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Here's the only log I was able to record. Look at the voltage, I may have a voltage issue. Look at the random Maf drop out, car pulled clean on this run so I thought. I going to revisist those grounds on the back of the intake in the morning. I will add that it does this only when hot. Motor mount not broken, pos cable not touching anywhere. Wires on back of alt are tight...it is a Bosch advance unit.

Attachments

You running e85?

I am running 93 and alky. 3.5 maf and basic translator.

Today so far, check settings in translator, clean MAF, cleaned K&N, pulled cam sensor and tightened end play, swapped on a New cam sensor cap. Adjusted cam phasing with TR6 to slightly advanced. No ses light yet, not nearly as warm today either. The attached log shows the MAF still dropping out and this is the MAF from my T(new style 3.5 plastic housing). next up swap translators, ECM.s, lastly put stock coil/module/wires back on. If I am still getting MAF drop out on power logger....burn it and collect ins money..Hehe:)

Attachments

Also forgot lost all my setting in chip. After yesterday SES, pop @ WOT, I did not disconnect orange wire, battery, or ECM.

Swapped tranlators and got a code 42 with ses on steady on first WOT Blast. Light went off before I made it home. I was gonna swap ECMs next by the one in my T is not setup for PL. I will remove TR6 next.....Bob are you reading this?

Stock ignition is back on. No changes to plug gaps either AR-133 .028, first log 1 maf drop out no SES pulled hard entire run, 2 log from a roll few more drop outs but no ses or break up that I felt. Gotta love living in the country I've been beating the shit outta this car all day. At this point I am wondering is the MAF dropout is a software anomaly(sp) as car pull hard and strong. If it is not most likely I have a flakey ground or something like that.

Attachments

let us know if you find the issue
Had a pretty long conversation with Slogn today aka Pat B. He explained that the TR6 is much more senative to the sync of the cam/crank sensors than the stock module. If it sees to much of a change it will discharge and shut down. Sounds like what happened to me Sat. I screwed around with my cam sensor drive Sunday and shimmed it tighter, put on a new cam sensor cap just to rule that out. Then chased the MAF drop out issue.

He also explained that maybe an anomaly as I am starting to suspect since the car pulls strong each and time. We've got to understand we are doing things with these cars performance wise and electronically that they were never intended to do.

As far as my code 42, that's a circuit code and could be caused by a poor connection at at the C3I connector, ECM, or an ECM that's getting ready to dump out.

This car has been very trouble free while I've owned it and I know its history, the harness is not hacked and no one has ever modded it before me. But it is still 27 year old harness etc so anything is possible. :)

you are seeing classic MAF dropout, and the extenders handle it differently than other chips, since we need a real MAF reading and we can't just slam it to 255. So the extenders filter the
MAF reading, but the dropouts are still visible on the MAF trace. When the filter is activated, LV8 is locked to 254, which you can see in the logs.

so, everything seems ok on the MAF dropout end of things.

Bob

you are seeing classic MAF dropout, and the extenders handle it differently than other chips, since we need a real MAF reading and we can't just slam it to 255. So the extenders filter the
MAF reading, but the dropouts are still visible on the MAF trace. When the filter is activated, LV8 is locked to 254, which you can see in the logs.

so, everything seems ok on the MAF dropout end of things.

Bob
Thanks Bob, time to go SD2 and lose it soon:)

Little update. Friday drove car to work 100 miles round trip. When I got to work had a high idle 1100 that would not settle. Drove home about 45mins into it SES flash briefly and no dtcs, did it twice. Then would not accelerate past 1.32v TPS like in valet mode. No valet options on the chip. Also notice that ECM lost all setting programed in chip ie lean cruise, open loop idle and lockup speed. I had not disconnected the battery or orange wire. Unplugged ECM and reset all normal functions returned.

Today another 100 mile trip. Removed powerlogger put another scanmaster on with old style setup. Left house SES on steady, code 24 VSS no signal. Pull over and unplug ecm and plug it back in. Everything is normal again, put all my settings back in chip. No more problems today.

At this point I believe my issue is related to either grounds or ECM losing power intermitantly. I do not believe TR6 has anything to do with it. Next step is to get another ECM(from my T) and set it up for powerlogger and install and see if I have similar issues. If so I am looking at this harness hard. Stay tuned. TR6 is great , as well as all of Bobs other goodies I believe I have a gremlin in there some place:)

Have you had a look at the system grounds on the back of the head? Also check the ecm plugs for corrosion.

Do you have another chip to try?

Have you had a look at the system grounds on the back of the head? Also check the ecm plugs for corrosion.

Do you have another chip to try?
Grounds have been moved to intake stud and are ok. Ecm pins are not corroded hardtop car. Battery cables new and tight. Fuseable links are good as well.

Back