TR6 ignition impressions?

Just curious if anyone has any updates.. I already have the tr6 but car is sitting until I can address various other issues with it, I have a line on a nos coil pack/module, I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible.. tr6 still recommended over stock?

Just curious if anyone has any updates.. I already have the tr6 but car is sitting until I can address various other issues with it, I have a line on a nos coil pack/module, I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible.. tr6 still recommended over stock?
When your NOS coil/module goes bad you will find the parts store replacements are poor quality. Then TR6 is a very good option, some will say type II coil and module and those work for some, but not for all. If you want the stock look retain the OEM stuff as long as possible. Just my opinon.

If you don't want to go TR-6 any longer, I will trade you a new coil and module for it and give you a known backup as well.

I need to look at it again as it maybe NOS I know it is new in the box though.

I don't mind parting with stock appearance for performance and reliability... Just curious if the tr6 is still proving itself out 4 years after this thread started in other words has anyone gone back to stock cuz of issues? In the few hundred miles I put on my car after restoration it stalled several times but that could be anything..

I haven’t had any issues with mine. Did smooth out the ideal a lot and the cam verification is pretty cool.

I just to figure out how to stop my car exhaust from smelling like gas now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious if the tr6 is still proving itself out 4 years after this thread started

I don't even think about my ignition system anymore. That should be a testament to my TR6. I held onto my old ignition parts and their spares for "just in case". It has been 3 years and "just in case" has not happened. Might as well put them up for sale here.

Purchased Bob's TR-6 unit / waste spark currently waiting for longer plug wire. Bob's helping me with that.

However

Interested in installation findings on a GN with aftermarket gauge cluster ? I don't
have the stock led tack I have an aftermarket instrument cluster by NVU New Vintage USA They are
clusters many of the guys on the forums ordered, I won't be using the race functions this unit has to offer.

Its a Street Driven Car. How will the error codes come thru etc.

Any findings or thoughts would be a help. Thanks Guys

I haven’t had any issues with mine. Did smooth out the ideal a lot and the cam verification is pretty cool.

I just to figure out how to stop my car exhaust from smelling like gas now.

How did you fix smelly exhaust with the tr6 ?

How did you fix smelly exhaust with the tr6 ?
Dont think that is what he meant
Purchased Bob's TR-6 unit / waste spark currently waiting for longer plug wire. Bob's helping me with that.

However

Interested in installation findings on a GN with aftermarket gauge cluster ? I don't
have the stock led tack I have an aftermarket instrument cluster by NVU New Vintage USA They are
clusters many of the guys on the forums ordered, I won't be using the race functions this unit has to offer.

Cant you use tach lead under hood for signal?

My TR6 worked without any problems. Even when the cam sensor took a shit it was easy to diagnose with the help from Bob. I ran it with the blue box for about 500 miles before regulator unscrewed from oil pump. Im taking it off and going to COP. Ill be putting on her TTA when engine gets back.

I use XFI and have tuned my cylinder fueling individually.

My coilpack was fine. Didn't feel or here any misses of cut-outs. Neither did anyone else, and I had people much smarter and more experienced than I drive my car. Brian Cotton made a few passes with it and all seemed 100 percent. But I always noticed something strange in the data logs. The EGT trace lines seemed jumpy. Because there were no drivability or performance issues, I just figured it was some static or data-stream speed issues, or some other anomaly with the XFI. So I ignored it for years.

Look closely below......

IMG_1171_LI.jpg

Then, the summer before last, my module went bad and I was forced to use the last known good one I had in my garage inventory. Before I got stuck, and this time without a spare, I decided to convert to a TR-6 Individual Coil set-up.

After the conversion, all felt good. Everything seemed fine. The car drove beautifully. I was happy. But little did I know that this would happen!

Look closely below........

IMG_1172_LI.jpg

SMOOTH AS GLASS!

Turns out, every one of those little dips in temperature is a dead-fire that throws cool un-burnt fuel out onto the tips of the EGT probes located less than one inch away from the header flange. This was random and undetectable by 'sound and feel' and surely it resulted in power loss.

Many have some proof that the TR-6 improved performance, reliability, or drivability. But I'm absolutely convinced by this data. And I'm still wondering if I could have picked-up another MPH or 2 at the track if I had only had the TR-6 installed when it ran the times I have posted in my signature below.

I just added the tid-bit above without even realizing that this thread was 6 years old.

Oh well, whatever. :rolleyes:

I don't normally post but must put in a good word on the Jack Laswell of JL Enterprises in TX's TR6 stacked coil setup, excellent craftsmanship, AC Delco coils, wiring, plug wires and detailed instructions. Also opted for Jacks remote 2-step knob/harness allowing the driver to adjust the 2-step Rev limiter RPM from the drivers seat. The remote 2-step harness ties into the brake pedal to activate the 2-step and can also easily be tied to a transbrake or any other activation you'd wish to use. A great Turbo Buick Product for those still not willing to give up on the stock LC2 wiring harness.
DSC07712.jpg
DSC07713.jpg
DSC07714.jpg
DSC07718.jpg
DSC07720.jpg
DSC07722.jpg

I don't normally post but must put in a good word on the Jack Laswell of JL Enterprises in TX's TR6 stacked coil setup, excellent craftsmanship, AC Delco coils, wiring, plug wires and detailed instructions. Also opted for Jacks remote 2-step knob/harness allowing the driver to adjust the 2-step Rev limiter RPM from the drivers seat. The remote 2-step harness ties into the brake pedal to activate the 2-step and can also easily be tied to a transbrake or any other activation you'd wish to use. A great Turbo Buick Product for those still not willing to give up on the stock LC2 wiring harness.
View attachment 350766View attachment 350767View attachment 350768View attachment 350769View attachment 350770View attachment 350771
I love that setup. Allows access to much more of the engine than other coil on plug setups. Do you have contact info for him? 30 minutes on google I find 10 different JL enterprises but not that one!

I love that setup. Allows access to much more of the engine than other coil on plug setups. Do you have contact info for him? 30 minutes on google I find 10 different JL enterprises but not that one!
Yes, shop phone number is 972-412-9000, left a message and he returned my call

However

How do you like the Nvu gauges?