Tranny fluid pouring out converted cover

edfiero1

Was out for a drive today, just cruising along back roads around 40 mph when I start smelling what seemed like antifreeze.....then start seeing smoke coming from behind the car,then start seeing smoke under the hood. Stop the car and see a trail behind me on the road..... still thinking its coolant, I get towed home thinking a hose came off or blew a hole in it, or something else trivial. However after crawling under the car I don't see signs of any coolant, I instead see trans fluid everywhere.

I try to clean up the mess and wipe everything down, then I start the car so I can see where the leak is coming from. Sure enough, trans fluid is pouring out the hole in the converter cover. What broke?? What might have caused it??

About a week ago, I did replace the governor and the valve body. Could this have been related, or just bad timing?? I did check the trans pressure after the valve body replacement and it never went over 300.

I assume the trans has to come out to fix this??? What is the shop labor time to do this job? 3 or 4 hours?

It sounds a lot like the input seal, the one the converter hub goes into, which would require trans removal.
If that's it, it should be a relatively simple fix other that pulling the trans out.
It sounds like a coincky dink.

The front seals only leak when something else goes wrong. Usually the bushing walks out or the converters pump drive cracks and leaks. Replacing only the seal will leave you high and dry before you even get out of the parking lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The front seals only leak when something else goes wrong. Usually the bushing walks out or the converters pump drive cracks and leaks. Replacing only the seal will leave you high and dry before you even get out of the parking lot

Thanks. Bison. How many hours of labor I looking at for remove and replace?

3 hours for all. You may need to replace parts. Pump, converter, etc