You can type here any text you want

Tranny nightmare (LONG)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hyboost

Hyboost
Never knew what a nightmare tranny repair could be. I broke my tranny last fall, just before winter. I ended up buying one from a vendor on this board. (won't mention names) Before I installed it I sent my converter back to PPC for a freshining & adding a little more stall. I wanted to make sure it was clean, didnt want a stuck valve body. I also bypassed my factory cooler, installed 2 aftermarket coolers & new lines. I even added a magnetic in line filter. After installing my new tranny, I noticed it didnt shift right. Really harsh 1-2 shift, early 2-3 & no O.D. untill 60 + mph. I called the builder & he thought I got junk in the valve body, & to get it hot, pull the detent while in reverse & then change the fluid & filter. I really doubted this was the problem due to all the precautions I took but I did as told. Fluid & filter were spotless as I figured they would be. Put it all back together & same problems. At this time I had to put it away for winter & figured I'd put some miles on it in the spring. Well spring came & it still didnt shift correctly but figured I had to live with it, untill I took it to the track, I found out the tranny wouldnt upshift into 2nd gear under WOT. This I couldnt live with so I called him again, & he told me to do the "flush fluid thing" again, so I did & no difference. Finally he said to remove it, drain it, wrap it & put it on a pallet & take it back to the shipper (20 miles away) & ship it back to him so he could check it out. (To his credit, he paid shipping) After almost 3 weeks I got a call from him saying he somehow installed the wrong valves & sleeves in the valve body & he was really sorry, I know shi! happens so I said no problem, were all human. To help him save $$ on return shipping, I offered to meet him at Summit Raceway because I was going to the Pinks All Out event there & it was only about a 2 hour drive for him. Again he said he was really sorry & that it will shift great this time. I was just happy to get it back, get it home & install it on Monday.
Well, It did shift somewhat better, still fairly harsh 1-2 & early 2-3 but O.D. shifted right where it should. I figured could live with that. I took it to a cruise night that same Monday putting about 4 miles on it. Afterwards, I was driving home about 50 mph, in 4th gear when I stepped on it enough to make sure the 4-3 downshift worked. At maybe 1/2 throttle, hardly any boost as it downshifted, it went KABOOM!
I heard all kinds of really bad sounds coming from the tranny, I pulled over, checked the fluid which was fine. I thought maybe the rear end blew or even a u joint, but no such luck. It would move only in second gear, making noise I knew I shouldnt try driving it but I didnt want to leave it in the area that it broke down in. Got it home, made it to my driveway & that was it. I pushed it into my garage......
I called the builder & he started giving me a hard time saying it was all my fault, & he wished he would have bought it back from me from the start because he knew I wouldnt be happy. Basicly blamed my driving and/or install on the failure. He also said you can't do the 4-3 downshift because it will break everytime!! Remember, up untill now my only complaint was the harsh & no shifting into O.D which he admitted he screwed up! He finaly told me to pull it again & to send it back to him & if it was anything he did wrong he'd cover it but "hard parts" were not covered. During the last call, he told me that he didnt know anything about the core he used & it could have had 200,000 miles on it. I was under the impression that he used new and/or hardned parts in the critical areas because he told me this high performance tranny was built to survive in a high 10 second car, which my car isn't close to. I ended up telling him I was going to take it to someone else because I didnt trust him anymore & if this tranny wasnt what he said it was I was going to post his name & business & what the failure was. He didn't want me to do this due to "his technology" & offered me $1,000 if I returned it to him. ( I paid $1850 + 3 fluid & filter changes & 3 installs) So, thats what I did. Bottom line, I think I got screwed on this deal. I told him the original tranny lasted 85,000 miles of driving + over 150 runs @ the track & his tranny lasted less than 100 miles. He said this happens sometimes & basicly it sucks to be me.
I guess I learned my lesson, even though this builder had good feedback, check out your builder & ask a lot of questions before spending your hard earned cash. Thanks!!:confused:

Sorry to hear about your problem with the transmission. I bought a trans. from a vendor on this board and have yet to install it. I hope it lives up to my expectations. I've had the pros do engine work for me and it turned out like cr*p. It's just the way things turn out sometimes.
I noticed that you run a 6162 turbo and 3200 stall. If you don't mind me asking. How does your car run with that combo? Do you think that stall speed is right on the money? I've got the same turbo but haven't bought the converter yet. It was recommended that I get a 3000 stall. I will be using a 10 inch or 9.5 inch converter.
I hope your next tranmission kicks A$$.

I would be pissed! That's alot of money! Not to mention you would need to spend about that much again for a good one! :mad:

Dannyo

I would think he's beyond pissed. That's why I'm gonna buy the CK book + other books, video & parts and do it myself.

As the Hulk would say You wouldn't like me when I'm angry :biggrin: :p :mad: :mad:

I wouldnt have sold it back. I would have made him check it out first. You are out almost a grand for nothing.

sounds exactly what happened to me,after shipping it back so many times and changing buying fluid and filter it got so expensive i ended up selling the car,and this guy was suppose to be the best 2004r builder out there

Sorry to hear about your problem with the transmission. I bought a trans. from a vendor on this board and have yet to install it. I hope it lives up to my expectations. I've had the pros do engine work for me and it turned out like cr*p. It's just the way things turn out sometimes.
I noticed that you run a 6162 turbo and 3200 stall. If you don't mind me asking. How does your car run with that combo? Do you think that stall speed is right on the money? I've got the same turbo but haven't bought the converter yet. It was recommended that I get a 3000 stall. I will be using a 10 inch or 9.5 inch converter.
I hope your next tranmission kicks A$$.

Kinda hard to answer that question due to not going down the track more than once & the engine bounced off the limiter & it still didnt shift into 2nd until I lifted. My 60 ft time was a soft 1.7, & i ran 7.8 (1/8 mile) @ only 87 Mph. Don't forget, I did almost no tuning yet & I completely let off the gas in order to get it to shift into 2nd and then 3rd shifted way too soon.(about 4500 Rpm) The stall felt about right, I brake torqued up to 5lbs at the lights, & I think I could have gone a bit more before the tires broke loose. Can't wait to get my tranny back from the other builder. I'll give his name & how it works after I get it back & to the track.

I wouldnt have sold it back. I would have made him check it out first. You are out almost a grand for nothing.

Yeah, I hear ya! But the tranny was trashed & full of metal & i figured $1000. was better than nothing at all. Besides, I did get about 100 miles out of that beauty!! :D The guy who is building my original tranny didnt even want that one for parts! He said he only wanted my original core. I was recommended to him from a bunch of guys in my local Turbo Buick club. He is out of Ohio & is building my tranny with several billet parts for $1800 + delivery. I live in Buffalo NY so I drove to his shop & talked to him before deciding on him. He really knows his stuff, he races his own 86 GN. Ran low 9's with the 200 4 r he built. I have no doubt this one will work & last.

Thats great. I hope this one works out for you. I have had my tale of woes with transmissions as well. So i know the feeling of frustration.

I was thinking about taking my car to CK performance to build my tranny,because another "reputable builder" didn't do such a good job on my trans.How is he?

As Rodney stated above, there are indeed two sides to every "story". The story reference is be where the nightmare part comes in.

I am going to preface my response by saying that I do not wish to exchange Internet jabs with anyone regarding problems or failures. And, like other vendors, prefer to do so in a non public forum.

In this case, among two men, a solution was created. But, it is funny how things work out, and the story gets twisted. Information today can be found in such a simple thing as a search as pointed out by a few guys here already. It is really disappointing that after reaching a resolution with a customer, that he was given the opportunity to come up with an amount he construed as fair, that he still felt the need to try and discredit and bash an individuals reputation, personality and product.
This gentleman was told to come up with what he thought was a fair solution to a bad situation. I never offered an amount, but was told by him that he would be satisfied with that amount and would "live with" the remainder". All the red flags were here from the start with this one. I overlooked them though.
Note to all vendors. Qualify your customers.

I will 100% take the blame and admit the original calibration problem, as I am by NO MEANS even close to perfect. But, have always striven to do the best I can do, and provide a good trans for the budget minded customer in these cases. With a price of $1850 shipped, including the BRF core, that is definitely not steep in pricing. That is less than some "local places" charge for a stock unit. Let alone getting a $400+ core. Not everyone can afford a $2500 + trans. For not using billet parts in 100% of our builds, we have had a fantastic success rate.
I know, and can say without hesitation that I have some of the best customers (and friends I have met doing this) around period. The understanding, and love of these cars keeps them up on what problems can occur. And, these customers understand when getting a non billet "budget" type build, there can be failures. And, there have been failures sure. We have worked hard to come up with a drum hardening "technique" that has worked great. Once again though, this is not a perfect system, and there are to many variables to these things failing to even get into.
Lord only knows the history of these cores. When I get them, I cannot tell how they were driven, used or abused, or mileage. They can be 20k creampuff cores, or 200k abused and mistreated. So, in turn, it is infinitely difficult to say what will or can happen. That is why the market has brought these billet parts to us. To prevent such events from occurring as the one in this post. But this is getting off track.

As many of the other points presented are, other than the damage done to the trans, or its operation.... This statement is totally false:
"I ended up telling him I was going to take it to someone else because I didn't trust him anymore &if this tranny wasn't what he said it was I was going to post his name &business &what the failure was. He didn't want me to do this due to "his technology" &offered me $1,000 if I returned it to him"
The only way that he could make this statement is sitting behind a keyboard, anonymous. >WOW< As pointed out above, he was given the decision of a settlement amount. When was the last time you broke something and someone gave YOU the choice on what you felt was a fair resolution.
If I had been presented with this absurd statement, I would have told this gentleman to keep it.

I had been told by good friends, and other business people just to stay away, and not get into a Internet argument. But felt compelled to come in here and give the details in a more accurate factual manner.

This will be my only post responding to this attempt to embarrass, and harass me. And, what is not mentioned is my continued apology for a bad situation, and my willingness to work with what worked for him. Including, but not limited to the settlement that he arrived at. (sorry to keep saying this)
I know there will be support for him here. And some of it is warranted. But, a public forum is not a place to address this. Especially AFTER a settlement was done. It just shows there was an agenda here. And hard feelings. Which I can understand.
Once again, I will not be back here to respond to attempts to be baited into an arguement.(and given the track record, it is coming) I have been on this board for a long time now. And, had many dealings with alot of great people. I am not fly by night, or a guy with a few posts looking to scam fellow Buick owners. I am here for the long haul.

Once again Ken... I apologize for the outcome and your time lost.
This was just a bad decision here. You know the truth, as do I. I don`t know what you were looking to gain other than an attempt to slander me. But, we will both move on from this. Good luck in the future.

Thank you for listening to my rant.
Brian

Wow, i dont have an opinion or affiliation with either party. But that was the nicest response to a business dispute i have ever heard. I doubt you will get many negative responses to that post. And i think its great that you came in to give your side of the story. Hopefully both of you can move forward and leave it in the past.

Very well put, Brian. Those of us with any mechanical sense understand completely. Sorry that this gentleman felt he needed to do this. Qualify your customer is very true.

Yeah, I hear ya! But the tranny was trashed & full of metal & i figured $1000. was better than nothing at all. Besides, I did get about 100 miles out of that beauty!! :D The guy who is building my original tranny didnt even want that one for parts! He said he only wanted my original core. I was recommended to him from a bunch of guys in my local Turbo Buick club. He is out of Ohio & is building my tranny with several billet parts for $1800 + delivery. I live in Buffalo NY so I drove to his shop & talked to him before deciding on him. He really knows his stuff, he races his own 86 GN. Ran low 9's with the 200 4 r he built. I have no doubt this one will work & last.

I know who you're talking about... he has done all my transmissions. Good guy and stands behind his work. :cool:

Back