Tranny Took A Dump?

BLACKBADGER

W as driving into work in 4th(overdrive) was coming up on slower traffic. Was going 65 I punched the car to pass slower traffic still in overdrive. Car downshifted and started to pull when all of a sudden it just made a banging sound,and the tranny was slipping high revs. Nursed it down the exit ramp and car barely moved at high rpms but got it parked. Tranny is slipping baddddd.Could've the detent cable broke when car downshifted and caused this slipping or did I trash the tranny. What could be the problem. Up to this point car had been running great ,nice solid shifts. What should I look for first. Looks like it's time for a rebuild? any help or insight would be much appreciated. Should I get a hardened stator and a 10 vane pump from ATR as well as their rebuild kit. THANKS!

No pull??

You don't say how many miles on it, but most likely either the stator support splines let go or the input shaft broke. Easy to check the cable... Is it loose at the throttle body? IF it's slack, it's broken.. Wouldn't cause instant failure, but eventually burn it up due to low PSI under throttle.

I saw the shaft break on a 17,000 mi. TTA under the same conditions.. getting onto the Interstate...Stood on it and WHAMO, no pullie!!:eek: :eek:
I'd do ALL the good stuff. Like call Bruce at PTS in Sacramento and get a good tranny that'll last you...;) ;)