Trans Cooler Lines--Inline Tube--WTF??

OK, so a little background...the car is an 84 GN, bone stock. I bought it, recovered theft, in the summer of 1991. I managed to spin a couple of mains in April of 1992. Pulled the motor and trans, pushed the car into the barn and forgot about it. Recently scored a running 84 T-Type that will happily donate it's engine and trans to my car. Now to the point of this thread...the original trans cooler lines from my car are lost, and the parts car has rubber hoses in place of the original steel lines. So, I called Inline Tube and ordered a set of trans cooler lines. They came super-fast, but they don't look right...the transmission end is fine and the bends around the motor-mounts, etc., look good, but there is NO WAY they will connect to the trans cooler in the radiator. They gave me two little pieces of tubing that I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with. Do you guys know? Can someone snap a pic of the radiator end of their trans cooler lines so I can show Inline what they are supposed to look like? TIA!

I believe the original lines were two piece

The original lines in my car were two piece. 1st longer section running from the trans to an area somewhat near the battery tray, and the coupled with a shorter piece leading to the radiator. I have my lines stopping at the battery tray and the high temp/pressure rubber hose to an external front mounted tranny cooler.
Hope that helps
Jeff

Attachments

• 1P1010084.JPG
    1P1010084.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 234
WOW! Yep, that's what the lines I got look like...I still don't know what I'm supposed to do with the 2nd piece for each line. The length and bends don't make any sense. I'll post some pics later. Do you have any shots of the 2nd pieces from your original setup? Thanks for the pic!

WOW! Yep, that's what the lines I got look like...I still don't know what I'm supposed to do with the 2nd piece for each line. The length and bends don't make any sense. I'll post some pics later. Do you have any shots of the 2nd pieces from your original setup? Thanks for the pic!

Never saw them the P.O. thought it was a good idea to break them off and I was to cheap to get the right ones.

So I called Inline Tube...they were definately sorry for the mix-up, but were totally unaware that not all GN's are the same. Specifically, the tech guy I spoke to didn't know that the 84-85's were not I/C'd, and the 86-87 cars were. I'm supposed to take pictures of what they sent me (??) and email them over there, and they'll see what they can do about getting me the right lines. UGH. They sell the lines for NA cars, and I think that's what I need.

Would they be the same lines for a MCSS?

Maybe? I'm going to look into it. But in the meantime, here's the update: I took pictures of the lines they sent me, one of my original lines (showing the differences) and asked them to advise our next step. Having just gotten off the phone, I am fit to be tied. Since the 4 piece kit is what they swear fits ALL GN's, I/C'd or Hot Air, I am screwed. They won't take them back. :eek: Nice customer service, Inline Tube. Thanks for taking $100 of my cash (after shipping) and telling me to have a nice day. Upon realizing that the guy was actually telling me that although they sold me the wrong part I was stuck with it as they are made to order, I told him that I would drive these f*****g tubes to his shop and send them through the front window. He said because I swore, our conversation was over and hung up on me.:mad:

Classic Tube gets my business from now on.

P.S.: These lines are for sale. Best offer gets 'em.

They are different. Those lines are more less custom bent to follow the contour of the engine and frame. The side of a 3.8 is a different shape than a SBC plus the 3.8 has the oil pump and filter in that area where the SBC doesn't.

The NA and HA lines are different too. The main reason is the NA uses a cast iron exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe exits from the rear close to the tranny lines.

Just wondering were the 84 lines different than the 85s? Both of my tranny lines are one piece. They are out of the car right now as I am about to reinstall motor/tranny. Let me know if posting a pic of them would help. Good luck!

Just wondering were the 84 lines different than the 85s? Both of my tranny lines are one piece. They are out of the car right now as I am about to reinstall motor/tranny. Let me know if posting a pic of them would help. Good luck!

AFAIK, the 84 and 85 cars are the same. Pictures...yeah, that would be great. Since I took my car apart so long ago, some stuff has gone missing...like these lines. I have emailed Classic Tube and am waiting for a reply. Hopefully, as Turbofish said, they have a kit ready to go.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!! Classic Tube wants to sell me a 4-piece kit too...does anyone know the part number of an existing kit that i can order??? I'm just looking for regulation 1-piece trans cooler lines for a G-Body with a 231 and a 200r4! I can't believe how hard this is!!!!!!

I could use a new pair right now too... I might just do a stainless braided line. I think I can get lines made with JIC fittings for around what classic tube wants for theirs.

If you paid for them with a credit card, dispute the charge !!!! They will have to wait at least 60 days to get their money.

Customer service is everything to a business. I have found that if you give someone good service they tell 10 people. If you give them poor service, they tell 25 people !!!!