trans cooler

X2 on the post radiator . And I wouldn't run a stand alone. Water/coolant is a better conductor than air. Stick your hand in a bucket of water and then wave the other hand around as violently as you can. Which hand changed temp to the cooling medium? Yeah the hand in the bucket. Even if you hold your hand infront of a fan or out the window with the vehicle travelling at hwy speed.
I go through the rad, then through two aux coolers on the T.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

I've always thought running your 150-160 degree trans fluid through a 190 degree radiator was a bad idea. I've always preferred a standalone. Is my thinking flawed ?

Ive tested a stand alone cooler,it will run 20 degrees hotter by itself then going threw the rad, using the same B&M Supercooler -20000 btu's
I since moved to a Derale external fan unit that cools much better.

The fan was probably the main reason for the difference don't you think?

I don't see a trans at 150-160 though I guess it might be in the dead of winter. Here in Texas where the ambient is 100 well into the night in the summer the trans is pushing 200 idling and much more at the line boosting it for launch. Going through the rad hopefully cools it a bit then the aux can provide extra cooling after that. your climate may be different.
Check out some of the diesel boards where they tow, especially up a grade with big weight. They get some added temp at they ascend the grade.

I've always thought running your 150-160 degree trans fluid through a 190 degree radiator was a bad idea. I've always preferred a standalone. Is my thinking flawed ?

Mine is installed stand alone and highest temps I've seen is 150* after a pass at the track. Mind you it was a cool day.

Mine is installed stand alone and highest temps I've seen is 150* after a pass at the track. Mind you it was a cool day.
Watch that gauge as you build boost. Even that "fancy" New converter will heat up the fluid at the line. Though from what you've been telling me about the weather up there I can see how you could cool it back off with a high speed run Mr "mighty near 11sec". Haha.

Also temp sensor readings are taken from the pan not from the lines tapped close to the radiator.

Main reason I went stand alone is because my rad is not up to snuff. My rad temps were climbing to 200-210 on warm days. I didn't want the cooler heating the fluid up to that point. I'll go back through the rad then to the cooler when I get a new Alradco in the spring.
Watch that gauge as you build boost. Even that "fancy" New converter will heat up the fluid at the line. Though from what you've been telling me about the weather up there I can see how you could cool it back off with a high speed run Mr "mighty near 11sec". Haha.

In FL, My 2009 5.3 6 speed 3.08 Suburban with only the radiator trans cooler, the trans would be near the engine temp all the time. If I towed, it would get hot. So I added a 12x12 standalone bar and plate cooler in front of the radiator. Pulling the front bumper and grill out isn't so bad. Dropped to 150-160 all the time. Towed 14,000 lbs with it when I moved, it hit 200 once in FL going through the hills by Ocala in June. Going through the mtns of Tennesee and Kentucky it never hit 200, tried but didn't, 190's. So it worked well. That was at WOT, trying to stay at 50mph...

Dale, it is my belief you cannot cool a trans to much, others may not agree,
but I have never had a problem over cooing a transmission,
my 2014 GMC with factory tow pkg, has trans temp gauge, and without towing runs 195-200 , which I don't like,
so I will be adding an additional cooler.
here is a pic of the cooler on my 57 chevy, it has a 200r4 with lock up, no temp gauge,as didn't want to clutter up the dash, trans fluid it always bright red, and not burned,

Attachments

• Rtrans cooler- heater hose 009.jpg
    Rtrans cooler- heater hose 009.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 109
I don't see a trans at 150-160 though I guess it might be in the dead of winter. Here in Texas where the ambient is 100 well into the night in the summer the trans is pushing 200 idling and much more at the line boosting it for launch. Going through the rad hopefully cools it a bit then the aux can provide extra cooling after that. your climate may be different.
Check out some of the diesel boards where they tow, especially up a grade with big weight. They get some added temp at they ascend the grade.

Here on the west coast of Oregon we see temps in the 40-60 degree range most of the year. 3 or 4 months we are above 70 and MAYBE we see 100 a couple days out of the year hehe.

Dale, it is my belief you cannot cool a trans to much, others may not agree,
but I have never had a problem over cooing a transmission,
my 2014 GMC with factory tow pkg, has trans temp gauge, and without towing runs 195-200 , which I don't like,
so I will be adding an additional cooler.
here is a pic of the cooler on my 57 chevy, it has a 200r4 with lock up, no temp gauge,as didn't want to clutter up the dash, trans fluid it always bright red, and not burned,

Might be difficult to get it under 195 since that's when the thermostat opens. The engine is dictating the trans temp when running through the radiator. Bypassing the radiator and installing a cooler with a fan is my preference.