Transmission Shield

dynoman

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I'm going to need a transmission shield soon , what are you guys using ?? I was looking at one piece trans & flexplate shield . I read where some had problems with aluminum shields not fitting very well and had to "mod" the tunnel to fit . I want a one that fits nice with maybe minor fitting . Also , is a inspection cover needed ?? My car didn't have one when I got it . Thanks, Sam

I remember Grumpy bitching on how bad the shields fit and he had to use a blanket because of it Sam. I want to see if anyone is using one myself since I was looking for options other than the shield.

Their site lists the 2004R but their products don't show one Sam. I sent them an email to make sure they have the shield.

I was thinking about calling them Monday and see what they have to offer . CRS Performance makes the one piece but I don't see a 200-4r listed

I have 2 alum ones here.. After wasting a lot of time we threw a blanket on it.. Cheap and easy . Good Luck.

I have 2 alum ones here.. After wasting a lot of time we threw a blanket on it.. Cheap and easy . Good Luck.
Do you use the blanket on a street car or just for the track ?

Thanks Grumpy, I called the company that makes the one piece shield and they don'the make one for the 200-4r. So a blanket it is.

I had the carbon fiber shield, hated it. Sucks to mount and had to cut it for the trans cooler lines. Went with blanket.

Haywire put a blanket on his trans recently. He didn't like the mounting system and made his own. Maybe he'll see this thread and jump in.

Not sure if all the blankets are configured the same but to mount the upper straps i did this: tapped the 2 unused bellhousing holes with a 1/8 pipe tap, took 2 brass 1/8 pipe plugs and drilled and tapped them 1/4-20 through the center (basically bushing the holes down so i could bolt the small clips on without drilling into the trans case) and bolted the strap clips on with button head screws. I used some silicone around the clips to prevent any rattles from causing false knock. I had the luxury of doing this while the trans was out, not sure how id approach it with it in the car. I have more detailed pics on my camera if needed but its pretty straight forward
20150805_165657_001.jpg

Last edited:
Then on the underside i didnt like how the blanket bound up the shift arm/linkage so i used a pair of stainless p-clips that i bent to fit and used 3/8 coupling nuts as standoffs with longer bolts through the trans pan bolts to make kind of a tent around the shift linkage/cable. It cinched up nice after that and i have nice smooth movement of the linkage through all gears.

Does the blanket stop behind the trans cooler lines & TV cable?

Yes, in the last pic you can see the cooler hoses (black hydraulic hose with white stripe) and i was able to replace my tv cable without removing the blanket