Trunk Carpet Kit Install Help

huntsg

Okay, I've avoided this long enough. I've installed the 9 piece kit (first install was a year ago) and the trunk lid piece will not stay up. I'm not sure if it is due to the heat here in Florida, but I've tried three different spray adhesives with no success. I followed the instructions on the CD that came with it and all the other pieces around the edges have stayed up. The adhesives I've tried on the three lid attempts to get it to stay up are 1) 3M Hi Strength 90 Spray Adhesive, 2) 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive, and 3) Loctite Spray Adhesive Professional Performance 300 Heavy. Anybody have any suggestions?

If I remember right you don't use a spray, it's a brush on contact glue. The video tells what they recommend

I can look at the video again, but I'm pretty sure this part gets spray on adhesive and some of the other parts get the brush on adhesive.

are you letting the glue set up/ get almost dry, before install?
spraying both carpet and trunk lid?
any residue on the trunk lid?
thats all I have,

contact cement will defiantly hold it. I'd probably look at something a little less permanent like velcro.

I used high heat velcro on mine but it failed after 3 years, didn't want to muck up the underneath of my trunk lid. Just going to put some fresh velcro on come spring.

I was thinking to use contact cement on the velcro. That should keep the loops in place and still be able to adjust the pad if it needs to be shifted.

This is the part your talking about right?
BDB648F6-EE87-448F-918E-3A8EDBC91B64-4534-00000AE2C33AAF98_zpsb79eeea3.jpg

This is what I used, and I used it because that's what video instructions said to use. But it is your car. The Velcro might work good.

07D7AF3F-2DB7-4B7A-ABB6-32C0D3CA8B9F-1564-000002142F13F1D9_zps32061077.jpg

X2 on contact cement. I put in the trunk lid piece the other day. You have to use lots on the carpet edge on the bottom side and let it get tacky. It helps LOTS to have 2 people to put it in.

As I recall now, that's what I used the first time (still on my shelf). I'll give it a try again. Thanks for the reminder.

Use it in the recommended temp range or it won't stick as well. Ask me how I know. And two people is a great idea

The contact cement will defiantly work... BUT!!! MAKE SURE you have a method to get it in the right place the FIRST time. When contact cement bites down, that's it!!