Truth in Advertising

Dean

So what would you do?

2 months ago I see ignition coils and modules on ebay (two different listing... one the module only, one coil & module). I send the seller an e-mail asking for part numbers, just to be sure of what I would be bidding on. I'm told the coil is 25535952, module D-1996, and that he has used and sold "over 100 of these". I respond that the coil PN should be 12353801, but the D-1996 is good for an AC Delco PN. I ask him to confirm the 25535952 PN, to which the response is, "Sorry for the mix up. The parts I have are correct." I took that as meaning that the coil was in fact PN 12353801. Silly me? Read on...

Noting that he mentioned he has sold over 100 of these, I ask if he has more, as I would be interested in a couple modules and a coil. My e-mail: "Dunno how many of these you have, but if there are more than the two listings I referred to, can we do a deal now on 2 modules and a coil, or would you prefer I go though ebay?" A couple e-mails later we agreed on $260 for 2 modules and a coil, and the funds are transferred to him via PayPal. I'm thinking "Sweet... I'm pretty much set for life on modules now".

Then they show up, and they are NOT GM, or AC Delco. Dunno what the heck they are, so I send an e-mail in the morning of Jan 31. I'm told he "got these from a guy that works at the plant that makes all of the{m} for gm. These are they part numbers he told me. I had over 100 of theses at one time. I have had zero problems with them. Sorry about the mixup."

MIX UP??? WHAT MIX UP?? I asked for PNs, the PNs given were GM/ACD, and what shows up is NOT GM or ACD!!! After doing some research I find that the module is a Niehoff (which IMO is OK, but I would rather have been told ahead of time and priced it accordingly). The coil I don't know. Is it a piece of cr@p off-brand? The epoxy fill is not full, and the case numbering I do not recognize.

So I e-mail him again later on Jan 31... no response. A week later I e-mail him again, using the following analogy: "If you bought 36# injectors from me and asked if they were Blue Tops, and I said yes, and then sent injectors that did not look like BTs and were possibly 868s, how would you feel?" Still no response to this day.

BTW, he is on this BB. From the posts I've seen from him he appears to be a reasonable guy, and I don't particularly want to get into a mud slinging match, but I feel I was misled, and I have the e-mails and HTML pages from ebay saved to back it up.

At this point I wouldn't believe him if he guaranteed the coils had all copper primary and secondary windings (which is a concern I expressed to him), and were made for Brand X. If that were the case, that would have come up when I first questioned what they were. I've put cheap coils on higher boost applications and had problems. Once switched to a known higher quality coil, the problems went away. I'm not going to use a POS coil again, but that may be what I have here.

I'm believe a refund is in order, and I'll send the coil back. I see the coil & module he had on ebay met the reserve of $99 and was sold. I also see that the module only listing did not meet the reserve and had a buy it now for $109 option. Hmmm... That's cool, I have no problem with that. So I think $100 is fair for a new Niehoff module. What do you think? That means the coil refund would be $60.

I have never much liked dragging names through the BB when there is a problem (which is why I haven't said who it is), but now I kinda see why it happens. I have done what I can to set this issue straight, but if the other party simply ignores the issue and has already reaped the benefits, where do I go? How can I "make it right", short of filing a complaint with PayPal?

So what would you do?

ps: Am I outta line here?? Moderators, if this is an inappropriate thread, please e-mail me privately and I will delete it.

I don't feel you are out of line at all. You are not "bashing" anyone, just asking advice on what to do.

I personally feel you were deceived...
Part #s were quoted...He/they didn't say "just like" or "generic version", they implied that the part # was the actual unit being sold.

What to do? I have no idea. PayPal will be of no help, they only get into a situation if the item wasn't shipped. (ask how I know :mad:) Since you received the item (right or wrong) they will do nothing. If your personal efforts get you no where, your next defense is a charge back.

Good luck and I hope the member makes good...

Originally posted by zam70
Part #s were quoted...He/they didn't say "just like" or "generic version", they implied that the part # was the actual unit being sold.
That's my opinion too.

...your next defense is a charge back.
Charge back? Through PayPal??

Dean

Through your credit card or bank card company.
just contact the credit card or bank card company, they can explain it.
If you used a paypal balance to pay for it you are SOL

I guess I'm SOL, then, depending solely on the integrity of the individual to contact me and do what is right.

Dean