TTA Daily Driver

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

How advisable would it be to have a TTA as your daily driver and sole source of transportation? I know its collectable and all but I like having sometime decently fast and after having a "reliable" FWD Regal GS I think I'm ready to go back to RWD but I can't afford to have something that will break on me since I'll have to trade my Regal in on the TTA.

While I hate doing this, especially since I live so far from it but does anyone know much about this one in MO:
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/5/9/78368459.htm

Thanks,

You can find better than 149K for 7500.... I daily drove my TTA for a year before actually racing it. Now it is just a weekend pavement pounder 80K mile car.

No replacement for displacement?

It's called technology. :p

Had to bust your stones on that one.

Still can't beat displacement in a technology race either. The reason the stuff today is small is because they've not figured out how to make a big inch car comply till resently. If you look the new performance stuff is pushing back into the 6.0+L territory. And I'm building a 4.1, so I get my inchs there. Though I agree that you can beat raw cubes with technology, put both together and you got killer stuff.

Where would I find said vehicle for less miles for $7500? $1800 for a stock trans rebuild is making me want to get out of my Regal GS right about now... but I'm probably just as likely to keep it though.

that car has some issues.if your truely interested in it make sure you look it over well..i was looking at that car about 2 months ago,and from the pics he sent me you could tell it had be crashed and poorly repaired/repainted and there were alot of melted parts under the hood,not sure if it was from no heat shield on turbo or engine fire at one time.he said he never noticed it till i pointed it out..he seemed ready to deal though

Reliable?

If you want reliable, buy a 3800, honda or toyota. I've been driving my TTA as my daily driver since 1997. I've had 3 tranny rebuilds, it needs another (the 2004R is about the same price as your GS), 1 engine rebuild(before I had to re-do it myself), one rear end rebuild, and nowhere near the 30+mpg you could get with a 3800.
Don't get me wrong, there's not a car on the street that ever passed me when I didn't want them to, but If I could do it all over again I'd pick up a payment for something newer (ever notice how nobody sells cassettes anymore?).
I've got 149K on mine now, got a bunch of mods, and like I said it's fast, but I cannot call it reliable.
I think the TTA is best as a weekend warrior like Bo's TTA.

Ken

i know the owner and the car:(

send me a pm..

the heat warpage to the AC unit was caused by the turbo, has a TE turbo, but claimed to be original.....i know....issues

i have owned 2 TTAs, now only own turbo regals, and i drive one everyday. IF you find the right car, i can be turned into the perfect daily driver, i love mine, corners better than a TTA and stops just as well. i would still like to own a TTA in the future, going to be a hardtop cloth thou..

take it easy

ps, i know another daily driver TTA, it too is beat and only has 140K... owner loves it thou :)

BW

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.

corners better than a TTA and stops just as well.

Ok.. got pull out the RIB flag....

Bricks dont handle like TTA's... :D

Bricks are suppossed to be cushy for fat azzz's when you get old.. not harsh like a sports car which is what a TTA is.

Back under my rock.

Maybe i meant my car stops better than a 100K tta with stock brakes....What ever foo! ;)

"RIB" flag... LOL we are gettin closer to BG!

Actually, my 87 limited stops real well with the drilled and slotted rotors and both big shoes in the back. NEXT mod will be LS1 brakes, but dont have 16 inch wheels.

Its surely does take bumps better than a TTA, i dont feel every single ripple in the road when i drive down the road.

My limited rides just like a lounge chair, my fat azz never falls asleep!

:D

BW

Originally posted by Razor

Bricks dont handle like TTA's... :D

In stock form.
Getting a TTA to really work well means tieing the frame together, a Herb Adams Reese Bar Set-up, a Morrison front coil-over, different sway bars etc, etc.., IMO.

Takes about the same amount of work, but a Brick can be made to do the same, and has MUCH better front end geometry, IMO.

I'm forced to drive mine for now (actually, the wife is for the next few days...) becasue my wife's daily driver decided to puke coolant into the internals. So, we're clocking up some miles on the TTA. She loves it, instant power, smooth ride (much better then my worn-out GTA, that's for sure) and that it's pretty quiet, for being such a quick car. It still has issues, but after she gets her regular car back, we're parking it again and I'll start fixing it up some. I hope to buy a scan-master soon so I can keep up on the tune on this thing.

Funny thing is, the wife said that she's spoiled with all these powerful cars she's been forced to drive recently, and she'll hate going to the anemic 3100 her Grand Prix has... Maybe I'll have to find her a T-Type or something... :D

I have daily driven mine (5miles each way) at times and let me tell you, you will have to decide if you want a reliable car or a quick car as you won't have both. Mine only has 52,xxx miles on it and it has been broke more times than I care to count. Not a very good idea to daily drive it if you don't have something else to drive when it breaks. The flip side is I couldn't really complain about the gas mileage or being able to stomp nearly anything else on the road.

Your GS would be a better dailey driver than a TTA anyday of the week. If you could swing having both, go for it.