TTA Exhaust Options

1987 GN

I need a new cat back system for the TTA. What options are out there now? Every place I look either has GN systems only or the f-body systems all say they are for the 5.0/5.7 cars. I can probably make one of those work but was wondering if there was a TTA specific option available. Thanks.

Borla makes a SS cat back shows for a 5.7 but i know for a fact it fits, pricey though at about $8- $900.

The Borla is nice and gives you the option to put an electric cutout making it a straight shot. If you can find one the ATR full 3" system built for the TTA is very nice (what I have) and is a straight through muffler...no change in boost with my dump open or closed. If you want a real nice straight shot system MUFLEX makes nice stuff. I know a couple guys that have the 4" system and love it. If I didn't get such a good deal on my ATR 3" I would probably go for the Muflex. http://www.mufflex-performance.com/6-f-body-cars-from-1982-to-1992

Trent "TTAFan" has the 82-92 Single Cat 4.0" Magnaflow on his car if I recall.

Last edited:
Are the Mufflex systems stainless? Regular steel systems are only going to last a few years.

I talked to Muflex today the system for the F-body is Aluminized Steel. As far as lasting I guess that all depends on how much you drive the car on the street and what elements you choose to drive in. I know Trent puts very little miles on his car and pretty much only in nice weather...so it should last quite a long time. Here is a link on his car...his 1st choice was the Borla but was concerned about the performance for a potential 9 sec car so went with the 4" Muflex with the straight through Magnaflow muffler instead. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/ever-closer-to-the-9s.251738/

Last edited:
I drive my car about 3-500 miles a year, and I'm lucky to get 3 seasons out of it. It rusts from the inside out. I had to start changing everything to stainless

I drive my car about 3-500 miles a year, and I'm lucky to get 3 seasons out of it. It rusts from the inside out. I had to start changing everything to stainless
I hear ya...check with Trent and see how his has been holding up? He has had his since Spring 2008, 6 1/2 years now he probably drives his car about the same. I don't even think he drove it at all this past year. I drive mine 500-1000 miles a year as well but I have the ATR 3" all stainless system on it.

Mine was untreated mild steel. I just kept replacing small sections at a time which was cheap, but was starting to get old. Now as it rots out I have been replacing it with stainless.

I had the Muffled 4" system with Magnaflow straight thru muffler. Sounded great at wot and idle. The drone was bad though.

What's loud to me may be different than your opinion.

Hooker system with the areo chambered muffler sounded very good but fit like shitt. Plus, its not a straight thru muffler.

Joe