You can type here any text you want

TTA head porting

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TT/Ameasap

The White Blur
Who ports our heads besides Champion? I am looking at all avenues to get a new set P&P with big valves at a cheaper cost. My build is getting out of hand with money right now, so lemme know to help a brotha out.

PS. I am not ruling Champion out..Just looking for alternetive places

Thanks
Bo

Iron heads are a pain. The TTA has sections in its casting that are very close to water jackets. This requires intimate knowledge of the problem. Hence the reason Champion is chosen.

Also iron heads are way harder to port than aluminum. Time is your enemy$$$.

Bo.. there are many head porters.. many shops.. if they screw up(not flat, cut the seats too deep, improperly install the guides, etc etc etc) you'll wish you never saved money in this area of the motor.

There is really no savings at this level. Understand seats have to be changed on the heads, ports ported, surfaced, cost of new valves, springs, retainers, keepers, seals, etc etc. Lot of work, Lot of parts.

Iron heads are a pain. The TTA has sections in its casting that are very close to water jackets. This requires intimate knowledge of the problem. Hence the reason Champion is chosen.

Also iron heads are way harder to port than aluminum. Time is your enemy$$$.

Bo.. there are many head porters.. many shops.. if they screw up(not flat, cut the seats too deep, improperly install the guides, etc etc etc) you'll wish you never saved money in this area of the motor.

There is really no savings at this level. Understand seats have to be changed on the heads, ports ported, surfaced, cost of new valves, springs, retainers, keepers, seals, etc etc. Lot of work, Lot of parts.

thats it in a nutshell :cool:

Any pictures of a side by side comparison of stock TTA heads and Champion's or other vendor's heads? I'm interested in what all is changed. Is the lower manifold need to be ported to match?
thanks

They are cast iron. There are no aluminum heads made for the TTA. Dont you have Pete's TTA 656? Ask him I think he had a set of my heads on that car.

Steve K.

If I have a set of ported stock iron heads, would going to a set of champion aluminum heads really make a difference?

If I have a set of ported stock iron heads, would going to a set of champion aluminum heads really make a difference?

no aluminum heads for the TA...they will be GN heads and would require different headers and will change your compression ratio. Also no AC either with the GN heads and probably a coustom DP as well. Stock the TTA made more power anyway and part was do to the head design. If you are running a GN motor and heads then I think is just a savings of weight for the most part and probably not worth the difference in cost.

just my .02

Scott

If you are running a GN motor and heads then I think is just a savings of weight for the most part and probably not worth the difference in cost.
Ok cool. That is what I am doing now. Thanks for the info.

Champion is $1300 for the heads. I just had a pair of champion ported irons for a GN and the reciept was 1300 1yr ago.

Isn't there a Frank G that ports our heads? I think thats his name.Heard he had real good prices.

Stock the TTA made more power anyway and part was do to the head design.
Scott
Stock the heads flow just as crappy as the heads that came on a GN. The same ones they used on all the fwd 90 degree v-6's. The added power was from a more aggressive boost/fuel curve. Stock GN is 13.5-14psi. TTA is around 16psi.

Who ports our heads besides Champion? I am looking at all avenues to get a new set P&P with big valves at a cheaper cost.

My stock heads are getting done by a shop in Seymore Wisconsin. The Race Shop - Enter . I've talked to the machinist (Charlie Sikes) quite a bit and he seems very knowledgeable about turbo buick stuff. I don't know what the heads are costing me because it was all lumped together with my new longblock. I can take some pictures when they are done but it will probably be a few more weeks. (We had to special order pistons for my stroker and that is taking a while.)

Champion might end up the way for you to go but this guy should be able to get you a competitive quote for a nice set of heads.

Good luck!

Eric

I understand Russ Merritt is quite good as well ;)

Merritt Turbo Buick Performance
Russ Merritt
27 Oak Dr
Carver Ma, 02330
508-866-5499
PTS Xtreme Trans Certified
email: rcmbuick3@msn.com

I am a little too far for you. otherwise I could of done you a deal on a machining Job..:D
If RUSS is closer. he would be a good choice..:)

Joe

I took some pics of my race ported TTA & GN heads. I will try to post them tomorrow.

Steve K.

I talked to my engine builder in Wisconsin yesterday. He said my heads are done. He's going to take a few pictures for me. As soon as I'd get them I'll try to post them up so we can compare to other ported heads. I'd really like to find out my self how good the bang-for-the-buck compares to champion!

My Display Head Buick V-6

If your Heads look like these with Stock valves. You have nothing to complain about...;)

Attachments

• DVC00242.jpg
    DVC00242.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 259
  • DVC00244.jpg
    DVC00244.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 271
Back