TTA heads lifting?

Bo, what headers did you use? My backup plan consists of a set of race ported Champion aluminum heads (more than off the shelf Champion porting) and ported Champion intake to eventually turn it up to the 7168hpq sweet spot of 28-30 psi. That should put me a good bit over 700whp and deep in the 9's.
I used the TA Race headers because they gave the most room for a 4" DP.

I used the TA Race headers because they gave the most room for a 4" DP.
I've relocated the battery to the back spare tire well. I'm actually tossing around the idea of going to a band clamp exhaust housing and running just a down pipe and gate dump forward and down through the battery tray turning outward just below the front bumper in front of the tire. That would allow the full race style headers that actually have a header on the passenger side as well vs the stock log style when I switch over to the Buick aluminum heads.

I used the motor cycle batt in the front saves weigh overall. The Front dump thing is neat, but I couldn't bear to cut a hole in my fender, so i just dumped under the pass side seat. No muffler at all and you can hear what is sounds like... not bad at all.

It's all about the boost/cylinder pressure on a built motor and the TTA heads. A stock motor with bolt-on upgrades you can run the boost up pretty high with a good tune and good ARP head bolts (I ran the Pro Series)...I ran 26psi on 93 and Alky for about 8 years without any issues. But with a built motor and big turbo the cylinder pressure goes up quite a bit and the TTA heads don't like much over 24psi...probably 26psi is about the max above that the heads start to lift. Several have made it to the 600-650whp but always come up a little short of a 9 sec pass...10.1's seem to be about the wall. TTAFAN ran ~10.15 @ 134 with a 1.56 60' 25ish psi and a conservative tune...he was very close but hasn't really pushed it either. Billy Anderson built his engine 10+ years ago and it made 630ish to the wheels, he also built mine basically 10 years later with some better parts, bigger cam, bigger more efficient turbo, a little more cubic in...Billy says it will make more power and be faster. We will see LOL

First off Scott those heads are an absolute work of art, what size are the valves? When did you decide to switch to E85? Only member I remember running E85 in his TTA was that guy running that batmowheel compressor wheel, but I think he sold the car. I ran naturally aspirated for awhile, but started putting the turbo stuff back on my GTA last October, just waiting for the weather to clear up to at least get it back on the road, little more to do because I gave away a lot of stuff over the years. We should meet up one day and run, not from a dig though, definitely from a roll, and I say roll for obvious reasons of course, as I ain't catching no low nine second TTA... :)

- Rob

Attachments

• IMG_1289.JPG
    IMG_1289.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 150
I used the motor cycle batt in the front saves weigh overall. The Front dump thing is neat, but I couldn't bear to cut a hole in my fender, so i just dumped under the pass side seat. No muffler at all and you can hear what is sounds like... not bad at all.
Yeah I have the ATR full 3" all the way along with 3" DP and 3" electric dump under the passenger seat as well. If I dump it all up front I don't plan on cutting the fender. I'd only dump the exhaust under the fender. Not sure I could cut a hole either though I shouldn't worry as much as I have cut the car up so far...10-point chrome moly cage, mini tubs and narrowed Moser 9" so far lol

First off Scott those heads are an absolute work of art, what size are the valves? When did you decide to switch to E85? Only member I remember running E85 in his TTA was that guy running that batmowheel compressor wheel, but I think he sold the car. I ran naturally aspirated for awhile, but started putting the turbo stuff back on my GTA last October, just waiting for the weather to clear up to at least get it back on the road, little more to do because I gave away a lot of stuff over the years. We should meet up one day and run, not from a dig though, definitely from a roll, and I say roll for obvious reasons of course, as I ain't catching no low nine second TTA... :)

- Rob

Rob, no E85 for me closest station is 30+ miles away. I'll run a 93 pump and dual nozzle Alky tune and a C16 tune.
You know I haven't even measured the valves yet. The guy I purchased the whole setup from had them set up for his 7 sec Stage powered Vega. I'll have to change the valve springs since they were set up for a .600 lift solid roller...my cam isn't quite that big lol

Rob, no E85 for me closest station is 30+ miles away. I'll run a 93 pump and dual nozzle Alky tune and a C16 tune. You know I haven't even measured the valves yet. The guy I purchased the whole setup from had them set up for his 7 sec Stage powered Vega. I'll have to change the valve springs since they were set up for a .600 lift solid roller...my cam isn't quite that big lol

That was my fault. I seen 120# injectors in your signature and I immediately thought E85.

Here is a 22-23psi run on ported stock iron heads
HOLY SHIT brother... I just watched the video. Nice run! But the part that REALLY gets me is the END of the track seems VERY close to the trap- perhaps it's an illusion, but that track requires a ride like yours to have some HD stopping power to match what you have beneath the bonnet. Definitely following this thread- Getting ready to install the V6 out of my wrecked T-Type into a nice 1990 Formula I picked up a few months back. Very nice setups here... as well as fantastic info.