You can type here any text you want

tta intercooler options

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GMV6TURBOPOWER

i'm putting toghther something that should hopefully be fast. champion heads and and intake .206 roller cam. t66 ball bearing turbo either a 3000 stall convertor that came in the car or i have a art car 9-11 atr downpipe and all the other small stuff. i was told the stock intercooler will be blowing hot air. is there anybody making a intercooler for our cars? and which convertor should i use? thanks for the help

I went 11.40 on a bone stock IC with the plastic screen still on it.

Rob C went 132 MPH in the 1/4 on his stock TTA IC.

Guess the question is how fast do you want to go.

Nobody makes an IC for our cars anymore. Companies that did were DeQuick, and Mark Jackson. They no longer make one cuase they dont exist.

Options are alcohol injection for temp control. Or build your own front mount.

Atr made a liquid IC at one time.

Keith Mease can make one for our cars, friend has one on his TTA, but from what I hear he very busy with things so I might take awhile. :(

Dutt. neck is not a bad option to the stocker, nice cheap mod. I picked up 3#'s with just the swap, so it obviously free'd up some restriction helping with heat.

I got one from ebay, the guy I got mine from was pretty good. Fast shipping, only thing was I couldn't use it in it's current configuration, the inlet and outlet were horizontal to the ground.

I'm not involved in any sales with him. Here's a pic of the IC types, it may help someone doing a DIY. I spent $90 on aluminum bends to get mine setup.

Attachments

• DSCF1652.JPG
    DSCF1652.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF1643.JPG
    DSCF1643.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 123
When I dynoed my car, of course the IC got hot to the touch. (gained 25 HP just by spraying ice water onto the IC on the final pull)

The guy that was dynoing my car used to have a GN back in the day and knew a guy that made a "cooling plate" mounted inside the IC duct. He used a C02 bottle and some NOS parts to make a jet stream that would shoot cold CO2 on the intercooler using multiple jets. He said the guy would make a run, come back into the pits and his IC would have frozen condensation on it. Has anyone ever heard of anyone else doing this?

Stock IC's suck, properly set up cars go fast w/o having to run tons of boost.

You have a build up that would easily justify a good IC. My car was set up with an ATR liquid and I will be going to a custom liquid for my stage 2 build up. An ATR liquid with the closed loop heat exchanger is probably the best IC with no real hassel. They are very pricey new ($1800) and still expensive used, I've seen them for $800 to $1200 used (I paid $1200 for mine).

HTH: Jason

Will the liquid cooled intercooler mount in stock location? Hope this is not a stupid question.

Jason, you dont need an aftermarket IC to run 12's :eek:

1200 for an IC.. ouch.. set of head gaskets for 100 bucks and that sucker would have still been running..

:biggrin:

Where's the Peoples Champion when we need him ;)

Jicaju said:
Will the liquid cooled intercooler mount in stock location? Hope this is not a stupid question.

The ATR did.. but the necks in/outs looked extremely restrictive.

Keep what you have, you'll be fine..

on a larger turbo would the stock intercooler be a restriction? On my BB-65 I could only get 25psi or so with the wastegate gate screw all the way in and a wide open bleeder......

trading t/a said:
on a larger turbo would the stock intercooler be a restriction? On my BB-65 I could only get 25psi or so with the wastegate gate screw all the way in and a wide open bleeder......

You have other issues. I was running 32 PSI through mine..

Yank the hose off.. see where it goes to :eek:

Maybe its leaking through the core? Or the turbo cant develop pressure??

On a stock turbo, 1st gear.. it will go to 30 PSI yanking the hose.

On the old 60 I had it went right passed 30psi when I blew the hose off(all the gauge read). This one when it happened it went a little passed 28 then went down a little.

I took the hose off mine and it only went to 26-28 :eek: :frown: I am goin with a "custom" stock location intercooler for my TTA ... welll if it ever gets done ... :p

Back