Would anyone recommend this fan setup?

billygeg

I found this rad and shroud setup on ebay .....3 Row Radiator Shroud Fan For Oldsmobile Cutlass 80-87/ Buick Regal 80-87 83 86..Item # is 193249769652 ..I was researching the dual fan Intrepid setup but it would cost more then this one for just the fan..The only worry I have about this at the mooment is will my aluminum Polished rad support be compatible for it..If you guys have the time please take a look and let me know what you think.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 173
My car gets into the high 180's and low 190's in the summer depending on the day but Im in NY..Which unit are you referrring to? The one I mentioned or the $800 GN1 unit?

The $435 GN1 unit at the bottom of the page.......

here is the ebay link to the OP's selection in question...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Row-Radi...769652?hash=item2cfe9578b4:g:h6IAAOSwCOJdumFO

for $208, I understand cost is attractive. lifetime warranty. great. BUT, sometimes the cheap turns out very expensive. so whom do you contact when there is a problem? this ebay seller is based in Hong Kong and has had this seller id since May 2016. the four negative reviews should be pause for concern.

I would not want to hear a story how you invested $200 on an inexpensive item thinking it would fit the bill only to have problems and that was $200 wasted.

As for the parts themselves, who knows about the build quality. does the fan actually perform at its rated capacity? what AL alloy is used? gauge of aluminum? pressure test results? too many issues to throw $200 at.

Look at what Guy is suggesting for $435. SPAL fans are nice.

Is the $435 unit that much better than a Dodge Intrepid dual fan set up with dual fan harness from one of the board vendors? Seems like it would be almost half the cost of that GN1 unit.

Is the $435 unit that much better than a Dodge Intrepid dual fan set up with dual fan harness from one of the board vendors? Seems like it would be almost half the cost of that GN1 unit.

IN MY OPINION YES AND THERE ARE NO FITMENT ISSUES TO DEAL WITH,BUT IT'S NOT MY CAR OR MY MONEY.

Anthony...I'm quick like a cat!! LOL.

I'm about to install those Intrepid fans this spring. $80 for dual fans that have worked for loads of people and $70 for the relay harness plug and play from Caspers. I can take the time to trim tabs and fab up some little mounting brackets from the hardware store to save myself close to $300. Spals are nice I agree...not that nice though.

Intrepid fans can work better than fine. But a little effort to baffle within the grill opening and a healthy cooling system can take it a lot further.

Cold case radiators are not a "drop in". They need more futzing than you would expect.

Cold case radiators are not a "drop in". They need more futzing than you would expect.
yes, exactly. but I didn't want to re-type all that I've said about them since Kirban introduced us to them. OP is looking at aftermarket radiator setup anyway...caveat emptor - let the buyer beware.

Check the local junkyard for the intrepid fans, I got mine for $17. I cut the mounting tabs off and the fans fit between my stock radiator end tanks like a glove. I wired up the Casper's dual fan harness and was into the whole setup for around $100. Temps never get above 195 in the summer, even with a front mount intercooler.

I'm outta here.

I live in Phoenix, where it's fookin' HOT 9 months of the year. I have a Precision Front Mount, GN1 Big Aluminum Radiator and Dual Spal Fan setup. It works, period.

I gave a solid suggestion for solution to the OP's question and I feel like I'm being chastised because I suggested a solution that has a bit of a "cost" associated with it.

Y'all just remember, please...... Good ain't cheap and, more often than not, cheap ain't no good.........

OP, please post your progress, no matter what you do. Post ease of parts availability, ease of install, ease of finding said parts to make it all work (thank those that came before you) and actual, and most important, overall effectiveness on your first 100* day in NY.

Climate change and all...... It's a'comin....... I already know from hot, I live in a frickin' desert already.

AOC is from your neck of the woods, no? Stupid girl. :p

I'm outta here.

I live in Phoenix, where it's fookin' HOT 9 months of the year. I have a Precision Front Mount, GN1 Big Aluminum Radiator and Dual Spal Fan setup. It works, period.

I gave a solid suggestion for solution to the OP's question and I feel like I'm being chastised because I suggested a solution that has a bit of a "cost" associated with it.

Y'all just remember, please...... Good ain't cheap and, more often than not, cheap ain't no good.........

OP, please post your progress, no matter what you do. Post ease of parts availability, ease of install, ease of finding said parts to make it all work (thank those that came before you) and actual, and most important, overall effectiveness on your first 100* day in NY.

Climate change and all...... It's a'comin....... I already know from hot, I live in a frickin' desert already.

AOC is from your neck of the woods, no? Stupid girl. :p
A little sensitive these days?

I for one value your opinion. Especially when referring to your experience with cooling systems. And I obviously never suggest the cheaper alternative to solving a problem. But sometimes in some places there may sometimes be a more logical solution for the end user.

AOC? Funny how people in my little world just a mile or 2 north of NYC barely even acknowledge her existence.

How the flying monkey's ass did AOC end up in a discussion about Chinese cooling fans? Does nobody know how Congressional districts work?

Radiators have been beat to death. Aluminum/plastic F body radiators work fine too. Like suggested, make sure you have maximum air flow directed at the radiator.

yes, exactly. but I didn't want to re-type all that I've said about them since Kirban introduced us to them. OP is looking at aftermarket radiator setup anyway...caveat emptor - let the buyer beware.

If parts come in a box it's made for YOU to make it fit :cool:

I wasn't trying to jump on anyone for presenting an option to the OP, but I just wanted to present a more cost effective alternative since he was already eBay shopping cheap radiators. If money is of no concern then sure go for the biggest and best. Someone like myself needs to save where I can with 2 small kids so I tend to use the search button a lot here to look for what has worked for others that may save a few bucks.