You can type here any text you want

Tuning questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

xathor

I got a buddy with a 89 TTA that has been worked on by a friend of mine, but i'm not sure how he's tuned it. Its a stock motor, running 18psi of boost, stock injectors, with a SMS(?) alchohol injectioin system. It also has a MAF LT1 + translator. My friend has this car running so rich that when he stabs the gas and i'm standing behind the car, it makes a HUGE cloud of black smoke and I almost choked. I know a little about these cars, and presently i'm working on getting his direct scan working. I took the MAF translator and turned the base from 35% rich to 0%... and left the WOT at 2%. The alcohol is supposed to come in at 12psi of boost. The guage on the alochol shows that it injects at 63 psi. I'm not sure what the base fuel pressure is, but i was thinking about turning it down a little bit and turning the WOT up 5%. Also, i'm thinking about adjusting the TPS sensor because the only time you can see black smoke is when he jabs the throttle.

Dont adjust anything until you scan it. You start turning screws then you will never get it right. I'm sure a lot of guys here have been there done that. My guess is you either have a vacuum leak or are wayyyy rich on the tune. Whats the BLM? What chip??

Jason

well i figure it couldn't hurt to set the TPS correctly right? that's simple maintenance..

my stock TTA in 89 ran a little fat .. stained the back bumper cover a little by the exhaust .. car only ran high 11s :eek: don't go turning this and that :eek: :cool:

How do you the TPS is set incorectly? Thats not simple maintence. Simple maintence is changing the oil, coolant, sparkplugs...When you get into sensors and dont know what your doing or dont have a scantool the settings will never be right.

Jason

Quiky One said:
How do you the TPS is set incorectly? Thats not simple maintence. Simple maintence is changing the oil, coolant, sparkplugs...When you get into sensors and dont know what your doing or dont have a scantool the settings will never be right.

Jason

All you need to set the TPS sensor is a volt meter..
You really need to find yourself a service manual.
It's all in there.

Well, before you all jump my gun for not having directscan working at the moment... Obviously, a profuse amount of black smoke coming out the second you touch the throttle isn't normal. I had him rev it real good and large chunks of caked up soot came out of the exhaust.... I'm a big VW guy, and i know on carb'd cars this is a sign of having the accel pump squirt way fat. The TPS on a FI car is like the accel pump on a carb car... right? I didn't get around to touching the car cause i'm in the middle of a resto on a 73 bus. I do have experiance tuning a 87-t with directscan... I just have to get the cig lighter working again to power the laptop in his TTA.

The car runs a lot better now switching the translator from 35% rich back to 0%...

What does the TPS have to do with how rich the car is? All the TPS does is tell the computer how far you are into the throttle.

Jason

The TPS tells the ECU when the throttle moves, the ECU knows that when the throttle is blipped that it needs to inject fuel and increase the timing. Not saying that the TPS being out of wack would make it run horribly rich.. I'm just saying when you tap the gas lots of black smoke comes out... Again, my analogy with the accel pump. The accel pump only works when you move the throttle rapidly so the carb pushes more fuel in when more air is coming in. When you slowly roll onto the gas the accel pump does nothing. If the TTA were a carb'd car, i'd know to adjust the accel pump... but its not, so i'm fairly sure its the TPS. I need to drive out to my buddies house and adjust it, so atleast its within spec.

Black smoke on these cars is typically bad MAF, improper chip-injector matching, or vacuum leak/IC leak/MAF leak.

If the TPS is set wrong it will set of check engine or wont idle down correctly.

Set it and see..

Have him invest in a scantool(scanmasterII) or pay a shop knowledgeable in tuning one of these cars. Not rocket science.. but messing with adjustments always leads to "other" issues.. That you'll end up being blamed for.

Dont even start guessing which of the above parts is bad without a simple scantool. :redface:

Back