You can type here any text you want

Turbo 3.8L in a boat?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbobuick1

I've been thinking about this for a good long time, and I think it would pretty damn cool to convert the LC2 for marine use. What I'm really thinking about is my dad's 1953 Mariner 20' powerboat (looks just like a wood chriscraft). It came equipped with the first year overhead valve Mercury V-8, but was later switched for a later model year 312 Y-block. It is an inboard-outboard motor configuration. The idea of an unlimited supply of fresh water (Lake Huron) would allow for some highly efficient air to water intercooling, which even on a 100% stock LC2 would allow for serious HP and torque. Has anyone heard of turbo 3.8 taken to the water? What do you guys think? Anybody have or know of a GN motor for sale that might need a rebuild or is otherwise cheap? I'm just a young guy, so I like to daydream about this stuff. I work at a Mustang restomod shop, own a 87 GN, and have the skills and ambition to pull this off, I think. ;)

Go For It!!!

I am in to boats as well as GN,s.. Ive also thought about an lc2 in a boat.. 20 ft would be a good size of boat to use.. The old wood boats may be to heavy, to much draft. Also the boost would have to be limited to a low setting (10lbs - 12lbs) because it will be ran at 4500 rpm or so for long runs with the turbo always spoolin . Im was thinging about a center console fishing boat 20 ft or so.. Bet it would come out of the hole quick. Please take pics...;)

Plenty of GM v6 powered boats......just slap on some cyclone stuff for boost and be done with it. plumb the liquid IC right into the water.

Love the ideas
I have a 19.5 OB and I gave this about two minutes of brain time.

On a side note
What I would really like to see on a boat would be a transmission- 2004R, TH400 or 700R4.
Why don't "they" put Transmissions on boats?
I can’t see any negative with having a much higher pitch prop matched up with a transmission
Sorry about the highjack.

Unfortunately, I'm 400miles away from said boat right now, so no picture taking for now. Given the continuous load on the engine, it seems a water cooled turbo would be good idea, or maybe an air to water oil cooler(!) to keep the turbo bearing temp down. What are the other considerations to take into account on a continuously loaded turbo engine? Ceramic coat the manifold/headers/turbine housing? sodium filled exhaust valves? Well, I guess the best way is to find out is actually test it and find out for yourself.:D

series 2 3800 for marine use is in progress over on 3800 pro

video of a 3800 running set up for marine ;

3.8L 3800 Supercharged Marine Engine

thread:

3800 Series II Marine Engine - 3800Pro.com Forum

I sell boats for a living including Malibu's which are inboard ( direct drive & v drive) this would be the easiest type of platform to adapt - very simple

I also sell Fountain ( among other brands) which are known for their performance boats.you do not see production performance boats with turbos on them due to what has allready been mentioned long high rpm duty cycles sometimes hours at 5000 rpm+.

there are a lot of superchargers used though with plate style liquid intercoolers such as mercury racing 700sci

when they are looking for even more hp they will put 2 sc's side by side like the mercury racing 1075

I suppose if you were building something like a drag boat though where you were only in the throttle for a short period of time it would work out just fine

Thank you for the input murphinator, you've brought up some interesting points for me to think about! Great links too!

Back