Turbo Center Sections

I've almost bought one from him before. That is a good deal.
But isn't a rebuild kit only $110?
I may be wrong.
Either way, $125 for an assembled center section is a great deal.
Have you istalled yours yet:confused:
Let us know how it goes, ok.;)

Does anyone know how much cooler our turbos would run if they were water cooled?

That looks like a great deal, too bad the auction has already closed. :(

Ben

She repeats the auction over and over (she has a million of them).Or you can email her and ask for her phone number and she will deal with you direct.Very nice people,great service and very careful packaging.Turbo City's rebuild kit is almost $200.00.This beats that hands down.Just bolt it up,and your done.The general concensus around here is that water cooling will not help a whole hell of a lot.My last section had water cooling but was not used.Who knows,might have lasted longer if it was.

Originally posted by brewmeister7
.The general concensus around here is that water cooling will not help a whole hell of a lot.My last section had water cooling but was not used.Who knows,might have lasted longer if it was.

I disagree but that's just my openion. If you notice most all newer turbo'd cars have provisions for water cooling. Why would they bother if it wasn't worth while? Especially in the auto industry where they cut every nut & bolt possible to save a dime.
If you were mainly going to use the car for drag racing you could pump ICE cold water through the turbo instead of hot radiator water. IMO that would HAVE to bring down your compressor temp. & the colder you can make boost pressure, the more torque your engine will produce.
All you would need is an electric pump & an ice chest.
It would be simple to do.

So, here is my question:confused:
Can we get water cooled center sections for our cars:confused:
Will they bolt up like a normal section that doesn't have it :confused:
If so I'd like to go that route when I rebuild my turbo;)

Glad to hear you got done right from the lady selling those kits.
I've contacted her before.
I'll prob. be picking one up before to long, I have some spare turbo's to fiddle with now. Also glad to hear it was so easy for you to change it out. It looks like I'll be needing a big breaker bar to get mine apart:eek: If only I had air tools:eek:

If the center bearing housing is the standard Garrett T3/T4 style, then yes. The best turbos to look for are the 85-86 Ford 2.3 turbos as long as they have the Garrett you are set since they use the same bearing housing AND are water cooled. The earlier (83-84) 2.3 turbos did not have water cooling and experienced premature bearing failures.

I just bought a center section from the ebay turbo lady, and I must say that the quality of the center sections are excellent!! It's a perfect match to our turbo, it bolted right up. Now I just need to find the compressor housing seal (that big o-ring). Does anyone know where one can be purchased?

Thanks,

Ben

Turbo Rich,
You can order a water cooled housing from Bamabev.The last time I spoke to her she had both oil cooled and oil/water cooled in stock.
Gunnarvirus,
I was able to reuse my o-ring.When I was looking for one,I was told it is strictly a dealer item.Bamabev doesn't carry them.Should be able to source one from any O-ring dealer.I'm gonna ask the guys in our machine shop at work if they know of anyone.I'll keep you posted.Great deal on that center section huh...:D Don't see why anyone would waste the time to rebuild when you could bolt on one of these puppies and drive...

Gene,

So it would be ok to reuse the o-ring? What about a very small amount of high temp silicon around the edge?

Ben

Thats exactly what I did.....So far,so good....Providing of course,your ring is in reasonably good condition....Mine came out great,looked as good as new...