turbo chevy in a g-body?

The closed minded BS is one of the main reasons I sold my car. I've been hanging out at turbomustangs.com, and those guys are awesome. No "Its a chebby" BS, just tech and cool guys. Instead of segmenting the hobby with brand loyalty crap, they just talk cars and turbo stuff. They realize just about any brand of motor can be fast, and don't give people a hard time for doing what makes sense anyway. The buick crowd used to be great, now its all I can do to read some of the jackass posts here. Theres still some good guys left, but I think alot of "serious" guys will outgrow the V6 stuff and look to more realistic ways of going faster for less $$$.

You can always tell the real racers and enthusiasts from the narrow minded "my car is the best and your car sucks" guys who will say things like "Its a ferd, get you a chebby and go faster". Its funny, the buick community has put up with ignorant car guys (nice monte, should have got a V8, etc.) for a long time, and now lots of the buick guys have become just as bad.

EightSecV6 said:
I have contemplated the SBC for my new ride, but I just cant justify it right now. I have a 406 chevy with Dart Pro1 heads and a fuel inj manifold etc.I have a total of 3 complete big inch Buick V6 engines and 2 short stroke rotating assemblies. I am using a FB TH400 with a VSC and my 98 turbo, hopefully I can spool it fast enough for a pro tree. When my Buick stuff is all used up, THEN I will probably convert! If I were starting all over again from scratch, I definately would use the Chevy stuff......

Pics of the TTA Please!!!!! :cool:

Most of you know how I feel, if you don't check out my pics in the video library section.

I really wanted a S2 combo but the money is better on a SBC. The DART Little M block is cheaper and it's not used. 1800hp capable crank for $1300 and it's here in 2 weeks. Rods and pistons are same price as Buick stuff but again it's here in a few days. All in all it's a couple thousand $$ cheaper to build a 1600hp sbc than it is to build a 1300hp buick V6 but parts availability is waaaay better and durability is much better at these power levels than the buick. You can make 900hp with a sbc way cheaper than a buick with stock blocks, 4340 crank, rods and some mild vortec heads. What I like most about my chebby combo is when I give up on the heads up stuff I can cruise it and still be able to run real low 9's and even high 8's on pump gas.

Dusty Bradford said:
Most of you know how I feel, if you don't check out my pics in the video library section.

I really wanted a S2 combo but the money is better on a SBC. The DART Little M block is cheaper and it's not used. 1800hp capable crank for $1300 and it's here in 2 weeks. Rods and pistons are same price as Buick stuff but again it's here in a few days. All in all it's a couple thousand $$ cheaper to build a 1600hp sbc than it is to build a 1300hp buick V6 but parts availability is waaaay better and durability is much better at these power levels than the buick. You can make 900hp with a sbc way cheaper than a buick with stock blocks, 4340 crank, rods and some mild vortec heads. What I like most about my chebby combo is when I give up on the heads up stuff I can cruise it and still be able to run real low 9's and even high 8's on pump gas.

Dusty, not just said it all but he will race it too!
The Alabama Slama will not be stopped! :eek:

turbosam6 said:
The closed minded BS is one of the main reasons I sold my car. I've been hanging out at turbomustangs.com, and those guys are awesome. No "Its a chebby" BS, just tech and cool guys. Instead of segmenting the hobby with brand loyalty crap, they just talk cars and turbo stuff. They realize just about any brand of motor can be fast, and don't give people a hard time for doing what makes sense anyway. The buick crowd used to be great, now its all I can do to read some of the jackass posts here. Theres still some good guys left, but I think alot of "serious" guys will outgrow the V6 stuff and look to more realistic ways of going faster for less $$$.

You can always tell the real racers and enthusiasts from the narrow minded "my car is the best and your car sucks" guys who will say things like "Its a ferd, get you a chebby and go faster". Its funny, the buick community has put up with ignorant car guys (nice monte, should have got a V8, etc.) for a long time, and now lots of the buick guys have become just as bad.

Closed minded posts on this thread or what are you talking about? I have plenty of "real racer" friends with very quick cars and brand loyalty is a given. I don't think the mustange guys are any less ignorant than the rest of us, not sure why you are so pissed..... :confused: If it was me then sorry, just laying some stuff out on the table and comparisons that I have come to know over the years. :)

I guess I missed something.
Stu is good people and will have one of the nicest cars in our community when complete. The guy who first built the car is a real a-hole though!!! :D

John Wilde said:
I guess I missed something.
Stu is good people and will have one of the nicest cars in our community when complete. The guy who first built the car is a real a-hole though!!! :D

I think I missed something, but I'm definitly an a-hole. :D The guy who started the car is cool as hell, how could you say that. :cool: John, e-mail me :) with the latest news.......

gund said:
Take a look at my signature for details about my car.

Let me know if I can answer any of your questions.

Ken
Yeah Gund, When will we see this car debut in the PNW? How about bringing it to Bremerton's BOP on Oct 1st! :rolleyes: :D

Look, if you bought a Buick JUST for the performance of a particular model then you cant relate to what it is/means to "be" Buick. You can do a flipside to that tho: I will never understand why one would bother altering an otherwise decent car this way. THAT said, I think I read that the car in THIS thread was a rescue situation. I think some wiggle room can be had there, same with clones.

Those of us with slower (much slower! <grin>) cars will still be around long after speed chasers have moved on. Keep in mind also that this is a primarily GN based board... even the Buick V8 guys have other places to be much of the time. So dont be suprised or even offended if there isnt much love for the Chevy swap.

To put all that another way, there are plenty of Buick guys that like their car and its identity intact. We perk up to the mere mention of a Buick engine being used (speed channel!!) and smile everyday when the clock says 4:55 and NOT 4:54. Has no negative anything for other brands, just a pref.

No Stu, I wasn't referring to you at all, actually to no one single person in particular.

I totally understand what Dusty is saying, and wholeheartedly agree. And while some of you might be happy with "only" 1300 horsepower, I promise you you won't be happy when it breaks, and when it costs a ton to rebuild after said breakage. Not to mention how much time you may have to wait after said breakage.

I own my cars for fun, I do not race alot because I don't have time. So I don't build my cars to fit a class or anything. I just want as much power as possible and within a reasonable budget. I hate down time and I hate working on my cars constantly. Thats why the buick is gone. I had alot of $$$ in that car, and it was very nice, but I was making probably close to 600 HP and nervous every time I punched it.

Granted, I went to an LS1, which is not as cheap as the traditional SBC, but it makes great power on just motor, and I have several options when upgrade time comes. I can't even decide what motor to use! But having the option is nice, as well as having lots of vendors.

I just look at it like the buick was an awesome learning experience, without it I wouldn't know turbos and technology very well. It was a good stepping stone, now I feel comfortable with building something faster because I know alot of what I need to know, from working on the GN. It was a stepping stone. I'm not ready to go 6's (like the iron block LS1 guys have!), but I'm ready to go faster than the GN could take me, and I don't bat an eye when I have to drill or cut on my Z28. With the GN, I always felt like I needed to preserve it. The camaro? Dime a dozen......

GNandGS said:
Look, if you bought a Buick JUST for the performance of a particular model then you cant relate to what it is/means to "be" Buick. You can do a flipside to that tho: I will never understand why one would bother altering an otherwise decent car this way. THAT said, I think I read that the car in THIS thread was a rescue situation. I think some wiggle room can be had there, same with clones.

Those of us with slower (much slower! <grin>) cars will still be around long after speed chasers have moved on. Keep in mind also that this is a primarily GN based board... even the Buick V8 guys have other places to be much of the time. So dont be suprised or even offended if there isnt much love for the Chevy swap.

To put all that another way, there are plenty of Buick guys that like their car and its identity intact. We perk up to the mere mention of a Buick engine being used (speed channel!!) and smile everyday when the clock says 4:55 and NOT 4:54. Has no negative anything for other brands, just a pref.

Could not have said it any better myself! :)

Hi, thread starter here. To all who wanted to save me ----- you did.
I decided to sell the buick "T" with turbo V6 intact. I finally came to my senses. I realized that for someone who wants to race you will have a problem raceing a Buick. The only thing that changed my mind was parts availability.
As I type this I am looking at a set of Yates cylinder heads,carillo rods,Tand D rockers,roush intake and my Dart block is in the garage.
Yep I am going FORD. I even bought a super-duty crew cab powerstroke diesel to pull it with. I just could not justify buying used race parts(stage 2) at the same price of new one's(FORD).If I was planning on raceing very often I needed a combo that I could get parts for quickly and Ford is the ticket. I have orderd and recieved all of the above parts in ONE month. You can open a magazine for Fords and get whatever you want.
As you can see I am not afraid of spending the money on race parts. I just could not make myself build a stage 2 instead of a chevy and still have a thought in the back of my mind"is it gonna break". With a Ford if the unthinkable happens you just pick up a phone and order another. With a Buick who do you call? How loooong is the wait?
Lastly the opinions of a die hard Buick fan are a little more than I am willing to bear. I will never sell my GN in the garage she will remain my cruiser. But I must admit this post finally pushed me over to the other side. I thank everyone for their thoughts and opinions. IDISAPR :cool:

There is nothing wrong with building a mustang if that is what you want.
I just hope that you did not build it because you did not want the Hardcore Buick Gestapo coming after you. Let me know about your project when you get a chance, I love hearing about race cars going together.

I once asked the board members about converting my gn to a v8, an hour later a bunch of guys wearing black hoods with turbo 6 emblems showed up outside my door with torches asking if I owned a turbo regal!! I assured them that although I cant afford one ive always been amazed of the power and driveability of the mighty turbo v6 and that I could only hope to one day be the proud owner of my very own TR. They smiled through their hoods and apologized for bothering me as they scampered away!!
-It was then that I realized how much I really love my v6!! ;)

Yeah the "Gestapo" is real heavy handed on this PG site. :rolleyes:

I think this pretty much says it all. :)

"To all who wanted to save me ----- you did. I decided to sell the buick "T" with turbo V6 intact. I finally came to my senses. "

Back to polishing my jack boots.... :p