Turbo intercooler installation 1984 GN

kulungi

I have purchased a 1984 GN about 5 months ago. The turbo sits right on the intake manifold. I was wondering if they sell a kit to convert my 1984 non intercooled GN to a intercooled GN. Also would it be cost effect in the long run and would it boost the power? I don't want to make it inti a race car just a good car with some minor changes. It only has 89,000 original miles and has potential to be a nice ride. I think I am going to get it painted the paint if faded on the top surfaces. So what do you GN folks have to say about the conversion.

Attachments

• 100_0485.jpg
    100_0485.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 521
Intercooler

There was a company that made a front mount conversion,can't remember who?
I had an 85 GN and installed this front mount,I bought it used.The car wasn't any faster,didn't idle well(stalled constantly)!!Turbo lag got worse.You'r best bet would be to get an alky kit!!!!

The kit was made by spearco...... i had one as well with the above symptoms to. Did the conversion to 86- 87 check my gallery for pics

I have purchased a 1984 GN about 5 months ago. The turbo sits right on the intake manifold. I was wondering if they sell a kit to convert my 1984 non intercooled GN to a intercooled GN. Also would it be cost effect in the long run and would it boost the power? I don't want to make it inti a race car just a good car with some minor changes. It only has 89,000 original miles and has potential to be a nice ride. I think I am going to get it painted the paint if faded on the top surfaces. So what do you GN folks have to say about the conversion.

Your least exspensive route? Honestly, sell the car and look for a 86/87....
not trying to be a smart *ss. If you ever drive a 86/87 you will be ruined. I did have my car converted to intercooled, via 87 GN rust bucket donor car. But I bought my car new 2-84, and my 3 sons came home from the hospital in it...... so I kept it, and plan on keeping it forever.

Chuck

who says you cant go fast with a hotair :) how fast do you want to go? 13's? if so a few mods will get you there for alot less then putting the car up for sale and looking for a 87. dont get me wrong the 87's are better but you can get a hotair to run good.

You have 3 choices....

#1 Convert to Intercooled car @ 86, 87,
#2 Install alky, and/or
#3 Convert to E85.

I did #1 on my "Original Owner" 84 GN and have never regreted it! I learned a LOT about I/C cars in the process and have a super ride. E85 wasn't an option when I did my project but I still would have done #1 first. If E85 ever comes to my town/county, I will add E85 to my mods as 105 octane and a much higher "latent heat of vaporization" (sucks heat out of the air stream) is just too good to pass up on a turbocharged car!

Conrad
Hot Air

kulungi,
If you want to convert or add an IC for the sake of converting or saying "My car is IC'd", go ahead and convert.
If you are going to add an IC, don't halve ass it. Go FULL IC'd set-up.

If you just want to run a number, but not sure how, post in the HA section, or do a search.
The advice from the frequent flyers in that section will not be IC biased. :smile:

IMHO, conversion is only warranted after a given performance goal/desire/level.
Typical HA crowd advice is; Convert, convert, convert . . . . which is the wrong advice without truly understanding the goals and budget, period. :eek:
(That is probably the reason kulungi wants to add an IC . . . :tongue:)

If "convert" was the std "all out" answer to every performance question a HA owner asks, why not just advice to put an turbo'd LS motor in it?
We all now that those parts are more readily available and it will make more power. ;)

There are many ways to skin a cat, and "solid advice" can only be given once you understand the variables, the budget and the goals. :wink:

Hi
When you converted did you use the original motor? Could you refer me to a good reference list for parts to convert? I have an '85 GN and have already converted the ECM and have a Maf translator on order.
Good luck on the paint job and look forward to further pics.
Sorry, thought I was replying to T-TYPE Tim, but ok with any ones assistance.

jerryl,
I couldn't agree with you more. I told him what I did and why. I have a buddy with a fast hot air car and I love it. Only the owner can decide what he wants and how big his budget is.
Conrad

GN GUY,
There are several individuals on the "Parts for Sale" board selling all the parts needed to convert a hot air car to an intercooled car. I will be thr first to tell you that there are a lot of parts that have to be purchased to make the conversion. If you decide to make the conversion, you should next ask yourself if you will be content with the performance with the stock parts. If the answer is no, then shop for the faster parts and skip the stock parts purchase. Call Jack Cotton...he has a lot of stock I/C'r parts for sale.

You can use your hot air motor but you will have to find a way to return the oil from the turbo back to the oil pan. The I/C's blocks have a tapped hole in the front of the engine that the hot air motors don't have. The drilled/tapped hold can be installed from outside the engine but I would be concerned about all those tiny pieces of iron shavings (from the drilling process) making their way into bearings and such and doing BAD things to your engine. I would pull the intake (you will have to do it anyway to install the I/C's intake) and drill/tap the hole such that you capture all the shavings.

Conrad

ps...I hope you have a buddy with an intercooled car to look at. It gets right confusing when you make the conversion! This is not for the weak at heart!

Thanks for the heads up. Somehow I was born with an inquiring mind and do test myself. I am a former V-8 person who has souped up a couple of SBC for a Camaro Z-28 and currently own a 1978 and 1982 El Camino.
I enjoy my 85 GN and know people in Calgary, Alberta with fast Hot Airs that run decent numbers with some mod's and Alky injection. What bugs me is the location of the turbo and the size limitations so the location on 86/87 appeals to me.
I dont have a problem with pulling intakes and drilling holes. I am watching and learning to get to know what parts will fit where. I have learned a lot on this site and welcome any feedback.
Thanks

. . . What bugs me is the location of the turbo and the size limitations so the location on 86/87 appeals to me. . . .
For around $600-$1200, you can have a turbo made that is big enough to break the block. So, adequate size is not much of an issue.
(Depends on who does the work and how much you can get a used or new turbo for :biggrin:)
As far as location . . . well, that's a different story. ;)

.......... You can use your hot air motor but you will have to find a way to return the oil from the turbo back to the oil pan. The I/C's blocks have a tapped hole in the front of the engine that the hot air motors don't have. The drilled/tapped hold can be installed from outside the engine but I would be concerned about all those tiny pieces of iron shavings (from the drilling process) making their way into bearings and such and doing BAD things to your engine. I would pull the intake (you will have to do it anyway to install the I/C's intake) and drill/tap the hole such that you capture all the shavings. . . . .
Conrad,
The return tube can also be installed on the fuel pump cover on the front cover.
Makes it a lot easier, "if" one has no itention of removing the intake.
But as you stated: Intake has to come off anyway for the conversion, drilling the hole is warranted. :wink:

IMO, few understand or will admit to the expense of "doing the conversion the right way". ;) Once you start, built a motor that will hold up into the 9's.
And, as you stated; Do it once, do it right!

Many thanks for the info. The bigger turbo seems to be a good idea. Do you know how much bigger. I thought I have heard TE-33 was the limit. A fellow in town had his existing turbo enlarged but to what size I would have to ask him. There are some threads on here with an intercooler added with the turbo remaining where it is and using an 86/87 plenum. Looks pretty cool too.:smile:

I thank you for all the responses. Allot of them seem a litle to intnec for me. I am not looking to make a street rod from this car. I looked at pricing below and found many car needed extreme make overs. I bought thid car for 6,ooo. All original right down to the radio. I bought it from the original owner. So my plan is to get the body painted. Then do some minor engine modification. Maybe not in that order. Once the paint is on is easy to damage. So thanks for all the ideas. But actuall looking do drive and original 84 GN that is stock excet for some small changes. Thanks for the feed back. All of you that replied.

With a intercooler you would get big HP gains atleast 50RWHP( i think)

If i were you i would get

1. Scan tool about 250$ http://www.turbotweakstore.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=2
2. Fuel pump & hotwire kit http://www.racetronix.com/RX-G7-FPKG.html make sure it' fits the 84/85TR
3. 3x9'' air fitler K&N or AEM dryflow to MAF http://www.aemintakes.com/dryflow_air_filters.htm
4. TT chip w/ or w/o 86 ECM upgrade (I'd go with upgrade,15$ from the junkyard) 80 for the chip http://www.turbotweakstore.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1
5. 235/60R15s rear or 245/60R15 Nice wider rear tires
6. Better exhaust system, talking 2.5'' or 3'' downpipe all the way to tailpipes
7. Then get better rear Springs and all around better shocks

+ Oil coolers are great!!!!!!!!!! trans and engine:biggrin:
http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/items.asp+Cc+BUPERF
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Exhaust/?keyword=grand+national&Ns=Price|Asc

Update

I have done 87 upgrade,fuel pump, chip, maf translator, and cold air intake but think I will upgrade to 3 inch instead of 2.5 inch. Got Turbotweak chip and powerlogger. Have 2800 stall but am going to 3500. Rear will be upgraded with control arms and air bags. Currently have 235's but want to go 275 or 295. Looking for 10 inch wheels. Also have SMC alky but not connected yet.
Got some power and learning about turbo's and electronics along the way. Thanks for your feedback.:)

Bumper skirts

I am getting my car painted and want to replace all the skirts around the front and rear bumpers. I here they are avaiable but can't seem to find them can soneone direct me in the right direction. Thanks MIke

Can any give info on how to convert the1984 hot air turbo motor to take IC motor I see the post about chaining intake and running the oil line but I’m asking for all the details to make this happen