You can type here any text you want

Turbo lag,stock manifolds vs headers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Have a question on the diff between,the hookers + the kb headers.
Why do the hookers kill bottom end + make the car a slug but not the kb's.

I was told that it's the kb's which is what is on the car that is killing the bottom + mid range because of loss of velocity.
Not saying one person is right + one is wrong.
Has anybody done tests showing one loses all its low end on a stock motor + 1 doesn't .
The hookers and the KB headers are a completly different animal. With the hookers both headers go under the car and come together there then a very long tube come up from the bottom to the turbo. The tube sizes are wrong, and the design is wrong, The KB header is likely one of the best and IMO slightly better than the ATR design. These DO NOT increase lag, I have installed many sets of both the KB and the ATR on many types of cars from all stock to highly modified and they work on all of them just fine. I have also removed many hooker headers to fix the problems they cause. You seem fixated on the headers being the problem, I can tell you with 100% certainty that they are not provided they are KB or ATR and not leaking, in that case all of them including stock are bad. I am sure that you don't want to pull the trans (who does?) and are looking for an easier solution, the only one that will work beside changing the converter is putting on a stock or small ball bearing turbo. We sold many of those conveters and technology has passed that by so much that no matter what you decide to do that converter will be holding the car back a LARGE amount. A convetrer swap and proper tuning will fix your problems

Mike

The hookers and the KB headers are a completly different animal. With the hookers both headers go under the car and come together there then a very long tube come up from the bottom to the turbo. The tube sizes are wrong, and the design is wrong, The KB header is likely one of the best and IMO slightly better than the ATR design. These DO NOT increase lag, I have installed many sets of both the KB and the ATR on many types of cars from all stock to highly modified and they work on all of them just fine. I have also removed many hooker headers to fix the problems they cause. You seem fixated on the headers being the problem, I can tell you with 100% certainty that they are not provided they are KB or ATR and not leaking, in that case all of them including stock are bad. I am sure that you don't want to pull the trans (who does?) and are looking for an easier solution, the only one that will work beside changing the converter is putting on a stock or small ball bearing turbo. We sold many of those conveters and technology has passed that by so much that no matter what you decide to do that converter will be holding the car back a LARGE amount. A convetrer swap and proper tuning will fix your problems

Mike

Now this is information! Giving the diff between the two + camparing the two powerwise with actual hands on experience of the two diff types. Very informative.
Those were some of the questions,are those headers killing power? You say no,if thats a fact, then yes tuning + converter is the way.+ you give the reasons WHY they are diff from the hookers,+are not killing low end power.
The prob i have or had with just throwing a looser converter,1. it already has a somewhat looser converter, ( though maybe not the best Its suposed to be a 2800 stall)so which i know the bigger turbo needs.but (if) it were a case of the headers also killing low end power,then all three things would be compounding together to cause big lag.((If)) the headers were causing big lag thereby not making enough low end power to give a higher stall on that converter, then the new converter may not be enough either.Remember (its not a stock converter in it.)
Now knowing more actual info,on the diff between the two headers, show that its a completely diff setup then the hookers + can see why one type would kill power + the other wouldn't.People tend to ignore the actual questions + just give an answer with no back up or explanation.
I KNOW just putting A small very loose converter will cure the problem or at least some symptoms of the problem, + if that is needed then it is needed,but you also have to live with that very loose converter everyday,so if the converter Thats in it (which again is not a stock one),would be enough,once exhaust velocity was restored,(Assuming their was a loss) then that would be the way to go,Thats why i asked the questions,Are these headers killing velocity like the hookers ,if not,then why,? etc.
But if these headers are not killing velocity,+ low end power,then obviously a looser converter is needed.
I'm being told left + right headers kill velocity on these cars,people even pm'd me saying that they do,just so they wouldn't be getting into an argument on the thread.
But you are the first one to actually (((look at the questions))) + answer it objectively,of the difference between the 2 types + why one causes lag + this type don't .
Here is the bottom line on this whole thing.Having ended up really disliking the loose converter on the ls1 camaro after a while of everyday driving,At first I liked it for maybe the first few days,take off at launch,in a cloud of tire smoke,but you can't be doing that every day all day,+ eventually it iritated me having to rev it all the time at take off's etc. it really took away from everyday drivability especially with a louder exhaust too,not only was it revving more but it was revving more with a louder exhaust.So on this car ((( IF ))) it was a case of the headers causing alot of the lag then my whole thing was/is get rid of those first + see if this orange stripe was enough converter,If not ((Then ))) go to the looser converter. Because i feel it would just be a more livable combo ((if)) this converter were enough with restored exhaust velocity. Does that make sense? Thats why i said their are "alot of if's" in this scenario. You also comment on the converter too saying,That they are inadequate,because you sold alot of them,again good info.

Their is still one question no one answered.

(((How much do you feel a 9.5-10" converter,in everyday driving?)))

Now i know their is the All out,"Balls to the wall" crowd,which in some cases is me.(on a car that i just take out every once in a while for "BLASTS") + they would say no problem,YAAAAH MORE POWER)Ruff Ruff Ruff!!!

But this was going to be an every day driver for me,+if it was as irritating after a while as the camaro was, in everyday driving then it would just become a once in a while driver, + I would probably figure if its just going to be a once in a while driver i might as well go whole hog + bring out my inner "Balls to the wall" self, Ruff! Ruff! Ruff!!! + turn it into a screamin hypo.but for me + now the new owner, i think everyday street car is the goal.
Either way because of the turbo It may need that real loose converter,just wondering how those small converters are in everyday use. Thanks.

Youn do not need one that is much looser you just need one that works correctly with your setup. The PTC 10" 3000 stall would be fine and it would drive well too. It would not drive "loose" like the ones guys put in the V8 cars. Ask around in the trans section how people like them
Mike

Youn do not need one that is much looser you just need one that works correctly with your setup. The PTC 10" 3000 stall would be fine and it would drive well too. It would not drive "loose" like the ones guys put in the V8 cars. Ask around in the trans section how people like them
Mike

Thanks again for answering the actual question.
which was would you feel it all the time ,in other words, real loose + having to rev it all the time.
I wasn't sure if the 6 would react diff then the v8 which makes all kinds of low end torque.which prob makes the converter act looser then the turbo 6 would at low rpm's It's 2 diff scenarios.
The one in the camaro was only like a 2400 ish ,the guy i bought it off wasn't sure. but it got kind of irritating as a every day ,only car to drive.Then i've had some that were very loose that didn't bother me because it was an all out power effort + only driven occasionally.

It doesn't help a whole lot if someone,avoids the questions + just "says get a converter"( which i've said from the beginning,may just be the way to go)but i need to know more then that, like was the headers also killing the low end because then if it was like the hookers then fixing that could possibly cure enough of the lag that this converter would be ok. so i would want to try that first before i went to a new converter that i didnt like. So questions are asked to try to draw my conclusion.I've had hundreds of performance cars including 6-7 of these cars in the 80-90's so i know how performance works.Juts Not that familiar with the intricate particulars of all the parts out there on these particular cars. I need to know particulars,the How's + why's of things,because if you ask for help or info on any board you get a bunch of diff answers.
Here would be my suggestion to anyone giving info on tech or answering any questions on these boards.
1.If you don't know the answer,please refain from answering.I've seen in other times,when people answered ?'s + were 110% wrong,+ had no idea what they were talking aboout.That didn't happen here,but i've seen it other times. It's ok to say ,I think this is the case,or i'm guesssing this,or that, or it's my opinion if your not sure.
2. Add a little backgroung or reason for your answer or opinion or answer,that makes it easier to form your opinion with the new info.What was good was people who had probs with the hookers specified it was the hookers they had probs with,so it lead to the question do all headers do that on these cars,+ the answer seems to be no.
3.read the question + or questions,+ even read it again to make sure you are actually answering the questions that have been asked.
I know i got kind of long winded with alot of the questions,so they may have got lost in the posts,so i'll add a suggestion for people asking questions too.( AlThough no one elses seem to be as long or complicated as mine) Ask 1 at a time in seperate posts,+ keep them short + to the point. Thanks again

Mike

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer this thread, you have just told me what I need to know and do. Saved me a bunch of time,money,and headache also! I'm glad we have good fellows like you , Bison and a few others that are willing to help a man out.:D

Back