You can type here any text you want

Turbo MC... Should I??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

83turbomon

Starvin Like Marvin...
I have a classmate with a beautiful 81 turbo MC that he is letting me get first dibs on. Its a two tone car, white base with a beige/tan top. It has t-tops, gold gnx style wheels from an iroc I think and an tan interior. 600 bones. needs a tune up, brakes, plugs, cap, and a title. Body in better shape than my car is in. Engine may be to. I think its a low mile car. Nice turbo engine. I would use it for a DD. Someone was casing my car and for my buicks sake, and the safety of our neighbors I put the regal somewhere safe and bonded so now i have an extra space.

whats your input...

Get a frigging honda already kid. The monte is a decent price but you need a good condition car to drive that gets decent gas mileage. You don't need another project at this point.

$600:eek: Id get it... but Charlie does have a good point... its hard enough having 1 project... but I`d get it and sell one or the other to someone on the board... like me:biggrin: and then get yourself a good DD... I need to get a DD myself:rolleyes:

I have a classmate with a beautiful 81 turbo MC that he is letting me get first dibs on. Its a two tone car, white base with a beige/tan top. It has t-tops, gold gnx style wheels from an iroc I think and an tan interior. 600 bones. needs a tune up, brakes, plugs, cap, and a title. Body in better shape than my car is in. Engine may be to. I think its a low mile car. Nice turbo engine. I would use it for a DD. Someone was casing my car and for my buicks sake, and the safety of our neighbors I put the regal somewhere safe and bonded so now i have an extra space.

whats your input...

For $600 bones I would scoop it up. You don't see turbo MC's too often or in good condition for that matter. But what you would end up doing is putting money into that car too, to make it how you like it and neglect that regal. So like flint said grab it and maybe trade it for a nicer DD thats gets better gas mileage as charlie said or try to resell it for maybe $2000 to a kid looking for his first car that would be just like you with your regal. BTW any pics of it?

Get a frigging honda already kid. The monte is a decent price but you need a good condition car to drive that gets decent gas mileage. You don't need another project at this point.

everybody makes a good point, but charlie makes the most sense. I just dont like hondas... especially out here, besides buicks, accords... hondas are the most stolen, and tampered with cars out here. If I were to take the car to school... I know that there are people there who will steal exhaust systems and engine parts off of your car while its parked in the parking lot in class which has happened to honda oweners before. If not that they wil hound you to know what is under the hood. The MC is a low profile car imo.

I ALSO found a 1970 f100 with a brand new 302 for 200 bucks needs a steering box... other then that it run better than new.

The other issue you woll have is that the 81 has a peculiar opperating system. It's the first gen of CCC and it really is a dumb system. If it was an 80 then it would be a much simpler design and if it was an 82 and up you could check it out easier with a scan tool. If you want to get it drop a SBC in it and keep the turbo system for yourself. Simple DD and not vey expensive to do. I hate to do it to a turbo monte but I'm thinking of simple for you kid.

The other issue you woll have is that the 81 has a peculiar opperating system. It's the first gen of CCC and it really is a dumb system. If it was an 80 then it would be a much simpler design and if it was an 82 and up you could check it out easier with a scan tool. If you want to get it drop a SBC in it and keep the turbo system for yourself. Simple DD and not vey expensive to do. I hate to do it to a turbo monte but I'm thinking of simple for you kid.

huh, i could take a scan tool to my 83t huh... I DO have an extra engine... And small blocks are a dime a dozen. Ill try to get some pics. AND the turbo system will work on the 83 for parts.... lemme look into this yota van and this f100, and ill consider it.

what are you driving as a DD?

heres what you could get for 500-900

buicks
1987 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan 4D

1989 Buick Riviera Runs Great Looks Good

95 Buick Regal

Oldsmobile

1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais 145K miles

chevy

1986 Chevy Celebrity~Runs Good~Good Tires~Good Deal

1995 Chev Corsica

Dodge

CHEAP CAR

91 Dodge Shadow

1996 dodge Neon For Sale!

yes im aware that these are all FWD compact cars; and yes I'm aware that they're all old or beat up, but honestly? if you need a reliable DD, all these can be reliable and save GAS......which means more money to put towards getting the 83 turbo car fixed....

what are you driving as a DD?

heres what you could get for 500-900

buicks
1987 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan 4D

1989 Buick Riviera Runs Great Looks Good

95 Buick Regal

Oldsmobile

1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais 145K miles

chevy

1986 Chevy Celebrity~Runs Good~Good Tires~Good Deal

1995 Chev Corsica

Dodge

CHEAP CAR

91 Dodge Shadow

1996 dodge Neon For Sale!

yes im aware that these are all FWD compact cars; and yes I'm aware that they're all old or beat up, but honestly? if you need a reliable DD, all these can be reliable and save GAS......which means more money to put towards getting the 83 turbo car fixed....

the buicks and the oldsmobiles didnt work right. I txtd someone about an 84 Riviera.

funny that. I would think an older Riv would also be a theft-magnet; especially if its the same one i saw on Seattle CL...by the way; if you want something thats NOT going to need a little work here n there, look to spending more than 900 bux....pure fortune my 83 ciera didnt need alot of work (radiator needed replacing, then a hose, now a cv outer boot cover) but its to be expected for a $300 DD. I have no qualms on doing the repairs myself, as i don't have a job, and now that its all fixed up, I know it will be reliable enough to get to places for interviews and the like. took me 9, maybe 10 months to having this car (car less for the duration, been without a running car for a year, but had a buick century wagon tha i was working on before it got donated in oct 2009)

funny that. I would think an older Riv would also be a theft-magnet; especially if its the same one i saw on Seattle CL...by the way; if you want something thats NOT going to need a little work here n there, look to spending more than 900 bux....pure fortune my 83 ciera didnt need alot of work (radiator needed replacing, then a hose, now a cv outer boot cover) but its to be expected for a $300 DD. I have no qualms on doing the repairs myself, as i don't have a job, and now that its all fixed up, I know it will be reliable enough to get to places for interviews and the like. took me 9, maybe 10 months to having this car (car less for the duration, been without a running car for a year, but had a buick century wagon tha i was working on before it got donated in oct 2009)

if you look in my sig, we got an 85 marquis that i got for my mom for an airsoft gun and a speaker. Ive been driving it for about a year without any problems. 60K ORIGINAL miles.

huh, i could take a scan tool to my 83t huh... I DO have an extra engine... And small blocks are a dime a dozen. Ill try to get some pics. AND the turbo system will work on the 83 for parts.... lemme look into this yota van and this f100, and ill consider it.

The car isn't working right and you need the right scan tool. Get the right parts and get the car running right fist kid! But get a decent running car that will get you back and forth to work and school.

The car isn't working right and you need the right scan tool. Get the right parts and get the car running right fist kid! But get a decent running car that will get you back and forth to work and school.

Charlie wins.... Looking at a few cars today. Buick riviera, and a cheapo honda civic.

The riv will be harder to work on so I really do suggest that you go for the Honda. More parts are available for it after all.

are our cars That hard to work on???

No, but a 4 cylinder is the cheaper way to go and it has quite a bit of support on the net to help you figure out what's wrong if you have no clue about cars.:biggrin:

If you don't buy that Monte and at least part it out and make some money off of it then you are far more lost than I or anyone else ever thought.... Sorry Charlie, I gotta go with the crowd on this one. That is too dam* easy!

I have a classmate with a beautiful 81 turbo MC that he is letting me get first dibs on. Its a two tone car, white base with a beige/tan top. It has t-tops, gold gnx style wheels from an iroc I think and an tan interior. 600 bones. needs a tune up, brakes, plugs, cap, and a title. Body in better shape than my car is in. Engine may be to. I ...

Hmm.....body nicer than your regal and the engine is OK. Buy the monte, sell the regal.

1981 Turbo Monte is a cool car. Just think what the Monte SS could have been if chevy kept the turbo V6 around. Only thing that held that car back was the 305 motor.

I agree with getting a Honda - they make some since scooters. :wink:

Hmm.....body nicer than your regal and the engine is OK. Buy the monte, sell the regal.

1981 Turbo Monte is a cool car. Just think what the Monte SS could have been if chevy kept the turbo V6 around. Only thing that held that car back was the 305 motor.

I agree with getting a Honda - they make some since scooters. :wink:

I wont sell the regal because that is my first car, but Charlie does have a good point even though I labeled it as a shot... But this is also too good of an opportunity to miss out on.

Back