Turbo-saver

V8Killer

GM speed junkie
Has anyone ever tried to make their own turbo-saver??
Doesn't look like more than a remote oil filter adapter, and feed-return lines. I'd love to hook something up to save my new turbo (if something in the motor ever goes bad:eek: ) without spending big $$$. If you have made your own and like it, what parts are needed? Part #'s would help. Thanks:D

They already make it. It runs about 30 bones and is called a Biggie filter kit. Cotton's and others carry it. If you are really concerned and want the best possible protection bar none then block your bypass with a Dorman plug and use this kit.

Excuse me for asking this but doesn't the turbo always get oil from an inside oil passage, no matter what the oil filter is doing?
My idea was to filter the oil feed to the turbo by adding a second filter inline. Would this work, or am I missing something??:confused:

Would putting a second filter inline be too much for the oil pump to handle? How does the PTE turbo-saver work?:confused:
Can anyone help enlighten me?:)

V8Killer,
Using a remote oil filter put a Tee in the oil return line to the engine and connect the turbo oil feed line to it. You may have to buy a new metal line for the turbo oil feed tube.

You may want to plug your bypass.

Gary

Hey Black Car, do you know the size of the plug needed? Have you tried this set-up...got any pics?? What does the PTE system do?:confused: Thanks:)

The PTE system effectively moves the oil filter to before the turbo, as well as the turbo oil feed line. That means that if something should go wrong in the motor, the turbo has less chances of being damaged from debris in the oil. It also relocates the filter behind the headlight to ensure cooler lubrication. I bought one a couple years ago with my then-new turbo, and I love it. Biggie filter kit is not the same thing. I thought that just effectively lets you run a larger filter in the stock location?
Also, the PTE kit comes with braided stainless line for the turbo feed and a nice heavy aluminum bracket...... so there's most of the cost.

But the Turbosaver filter still has a bypass valve in it so that it permits unfiltered oil to the turbo at every cold start up. Just cuts down on the amount, I think.

Blocking the bypass valve and using a biggie style is the only guaranteed means. Then we have the problem of blown filters as reported here altho the gurus say it is not a problem.....:)

Good point, Steve! Forgot about the cold start up. Either way, I still look at it as an advantage b/c I only worry about a motor going while running somewhat hard. The cooler oil is a plus, too. Anyone know how many people have had problem after blocking the bypass? I thought about doing this during my motor build come next winter.

Innercooler was the last to report...I don't know what his latest story is. I think he was using Purolator filters but that is only my memory..ain't necessarily fact. It may be the problem with find a strong filter...I think he claimed to not be reving it when first starting...

I have a TurboSaver...I think a filter with no bypass would be the ticket as the bypass valve in the adapter is still there...

I never blip the throttle until the oil pressures drops down to near normal anyway...just habit from the years. :)

I have a biggie filter kit with the oil bypass blocked in the cover.
As long as you run lighter oils Not 20-50 it's Ok . I blew out a Pure 1 at startup with sae 30. I now only use PF 24 since it has a stronger can. Also Watch your your cold pressure. I wait for full warm up before I drive hard. You should do that anyway;)

Originally posted by V8Killer
Hey Black Car, do you know the size of the plug needed? Have you tried this set-up...got any pics?? ..... Thanks:)

The Dorman plug no. is 555-009. The size is 19/32".

Thanks for all the info guys:D The old saying is still true,
"ya learn something new everyday".........well at least I try to:)

I was and still am running the Pure-One filter. My problem was I kept collapsing them on the inside. I never had one blow out or spew oil. Since it was a new motor I took the blocked bypass cover off and put a standard one on with spring. I do think my problems were self induced:

-Shouldn't have used 20/50 with it.
-No blipps of the throttle until totally warm and oil pressure is 20 PSI.

Maybe the PF-24 is a better filter. I will go back to the bypass again on the next motor.

Home made saver

You can get the pieces from Summit or Jegs. They also sell the braided lines.. You Do want to use the braided w/ the AN fittings, don't you?? MUCH safer!!
Also, been talking w/ some turbo mfgrs.. It's being said that the -6 turbo feed line that comes w/ some kits is too big and supplies too much oil to the turbo, This is a suspect in the early on leaking of seals. It is suggested to use -4AN.

Another idea: Use steel fittings. Someone I know had a well used alum AN fitting crack at the turbo and damn near burn the car down!!! I've gone back and re-done the installs here at my shop for that very reason.;) ;)

As for cost.. These cars ARE hotrods and as such, always fall into the "MURPHY RULE": if it's needed, it's going to cost more than it should!!!!

Back to kissin and huggin my SBC!!!!;)

Chuck, are you suggesting making a system like the PTE, where you relocate the filter? Do you plug the factory bypass? Does the relocated fliter have a bypass? Can you give a recommendation for all line sizes, and where they start and end? Thanx:)

Originally posted by Nick Micale
The Dorman plug no. is 555-009. The size is 19/32".
Nick, I picked up some of those Dorman plugs, and it appears the Dorman plug is sized to fit INSIDE the existing plug (that contains the stock, cone shaped, sealing plunger).

So the correct way to install the new Dorman plug, is press fit right into the stock bypass , leaving the bypass "as is" ??

Is that right?

I haven't yet installed the Dorman plug, but will the fit be tight enough to keep the Dorman plug in, or should I also "stake" it with a center punch, or ???

TIA !

filter

on my pte 88 turbo stage motor , blowed up 3 motors, lot of metal in the oil never hurt my turbo, , i installed a stanless 1/4 pipe tee,in the block i went to napa picked out a filter housing and a filter with the right micthron mounted it next to radiator, i run #6 an braded stanless to inlet side of filter, from out side to my turbo, it holds almost a quart of oil, my turbo is 4 years old no problems, we did the same to my son street car, he lost 6 lobes off of cam never damaged his turbo,, cheap and it works for us,;)