You can type here any text you want

turn signal/cruise stalk replaced

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tonysmach

I replaced my stalk today. It was not easy getting the old one out. I followed directions as posted on here. I had to cut the wire before the electrical plug-in clip (goes under dash). Because there was no way it was going to fit by pulling it down the steering shaft by a wire. Now I have to solder the wires togother. Unfortunately, now my windshield wipers do not shut off no matter how I turn the stalk. Any suggestions, on what the problem might be?

The lever is not inserted correctly. Remove it and with a small screwdriver spin the cylinder housing in the steering column to turn off the wipers and to align with the tab of the new lever. You will need a flashlight. Difficult to explain but once your there you should be able to figure it out.

Regards,
Realspartan turn the

The lever is not inserted correctly. Remove it and with a small screwdriver spin the cylinder housing in the steering column to turn off the wipers and to align with the tab of the new lever. You will need a flashlight. Difficult to explain but once your there you should be able to figure it out.

Regards,
Realspartan turn the

I think I know what you are talking about. However, I broke the old stalk getting that one out. I had to break this one. Anyone know of the technique to get the stalk out without breaking it?

First question did you guys take the steering column out? I did this back in October I was ready to give up until I removed my column and steering wheel I was able to get the wire with connector through the maze in there with the help of a metal shirt hanger. Would I want to do this again probably not but I would recommend anybody trying to replace their Cruise control turn signal stalk to remove the steering wheel and column to do this installation.

I though you were talking about the wire Not the stalk?? The stalk should just pop right out. Apply some inward pressure pushing the stalk into the column and twist it gently it comes right out. If you pulled and broke it out you might have cracked the cam in there that controls the wipers try using a small flat head screw driver.

First question did you guys take the steering column out? I did this back in October I was ready to give up until I removed my column and steering wheel I was able to get the wire with connector through the maze in there with the help of a metal shirt hanger. Would I want to do this again probably not but I would recommend anybody trying to replace their Cruise control turn signal stalk to remove the steering wheel and column to do this installation.

After several tries of fishing wire with connector through steering columun without any success, I used an alternative method. I actually cut the wire about 6 inches from connector, fished the wire through the steering column and then soldered the wires back together. I have not tried it yet, so do not know if it will work. I don't see anyway how the wire with connector can be fished through the steering column.

After several tries of fishing wire with connector through steering columun without any success, I used an alternative method. I actually cut the wire about 6 inches from connector, fished the wire through the steering column and then soldered the wires back together. I have not tried it yet, so do not know if it will work. I don't see anyway how the wire with connector can be fished through the steering column.

Neither did I, but I did not know cutting the wires was an option? There is the smallest bit of wiggle room on the column. The bottom area basically the 6o'clock section. Thats where I fished the shirt hanger through(it has to be a tick one) bent a piece back and crimpped it to the wire and pulled it down. It did get stuck but It finnally popped through. Also had a long skinny flat head screw driver to help too. I admit I though I was gonna break it but it worked.
When I took the old one out I just cut it off.

Believe it or not it can be done. When I did mine I removed the old stalk and cut the wire that ran up to it right at the stalk. Then tied the new wire to the end of the old wire with some string and just pulled it down through the column. Untied them and unhooked the old wire and plugged in the new wire. It took a little bit of wiggling and I had to unbolt the column from the dash, remove the steering wheel, dust cap, lock plate retainer ring and lock plate to get at the old stalk, but all in all it only took me about a half hour or so.

Believe it or not it can be done. When I did mine I removed the old stalk and cut the wire that ran up to it right at the stalk. Then tied the new wire to the end of the old wire with some string and just pulled it down through the column. Untied them and unhooked the old wire and plugged in the new wire. It took a little bit of wiggling and I had to unbolt the column from the dash, remove the steering wheel, dust cap, lock plate retainer ring and lock plate to get at the old stalk, but all in all it only took me about a half hour or so.

I did not remove the lock plate but that did not cause the obstruction it was the wires down the column a couple of inches past where the column tilts. I tried the tie a wire to the end of the old wire trick and the only thing that happened was it broke off when I tried to pull it through. The biggest mistake I made at first wasn't taking the column out of the car. I wasted soo much time trying to get it done with the column in.

Why do people cut wires when it's so easy to unpin and repin the connector shells? :confused: :( :confused:

Why do people cut wires when it's so easy to unpin and repin the connector shells? :confused: :( :confused:
Are you sure the connector on the end of the Cruise Control Stalk unpins? I did not see any way that the connector came off so I cut the wire and soldered it back together after I fished the wire through. Probably should have taken my time and removed the steering wheel, etc. I just lack experience with these cars.

Never had to take the column out of the car, but after removing the steering wheel to get a clear shot have manged to get the wire with plug snaked down the steering column.

The easy part is pulling the stalk our and pushing the new one in.

Back