You can type here any text you want

Two freeze plugs fall out on opposite sides of block?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Thank you for looking after me, and I did check them all. The rest were fine. I don't have an answer as to why, but I can say that when I re-installed them they were tight and I used a large socket to tap them in. It took some effort to get them knocked in.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've heat cycled the motor and checked and double checked and all looks well. I'll do some street miles before I hit the track this spring.

Thanks again, guys!! :)

Did you stake them in place as well?

what am I missing

Was he, or was he going to be if they didn't, hell it doesn't matter. I wasn't trying to open our can of worms again, Sorry Ted!

Why do you have to apoligize to Ted for making a funny about Bamford? Has he gone from cheerleader to something more? :redface:

It sounds to me like the wrong tool was used to install. Sometimes the old socket is used and it distorts the shape. As soon as alot of pressure builds, POP, out they come. 1.4960 vs. 1.5000 is no big deal when you consider that freeze plugs seats are tapered slightly anyway. This insures they will slide out like they are designed to. When they are peened into place, this is in high perf apps only. They assume we will not be driving in the winter. You shouldnt need to glue them in. I would drill them out and install new and peen the block in 2 places on each. Peen the others that you can reach also.

Thanks
Coach

I have a question guys........My 4.1 is sitting on the stand right now. Should I stake to freeze plugs now or is this not a necessary procedure? If it's just a matter of tapping on them with a chisel.....why not right? Do you usually stake them in in 4 spots, at every quater of the plugs? How about head freeze plugs?

Back