You can type here any text you want

Type of engine oil

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

IMQUIK

What is the best type of engine oil to run in our cars?

Attachments

• P5110018-3.jpg
    P5110018-3.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 800
your about to get tons of different responses to this.....try a search and read other threads.....

IMO I think it's fine to run synthetic, as long as it has high enough zinc levels. I run Amsoil 10w40 and it has the right stuff.

Steve

Why do you guys not advise running synthetic with a flat tappet cam?

FWIW I run Mobil 10W-30 full synthetic in my engine, and it has a flat tappet cam. I feel on a turbo car you want oil to the turbo the second you fire it up.

Also I usually pour in a bottle of GM's EOS for the zinc content.

There has been a lot of discussions arlier about the use of zinc as an oil additive when the engine has an flat tappet cam. So, how about the O2 sensor(s)- wideband and narrow band- how they will react when using zinc?

Of cource it is easier to change the sensors than cam and lifters, but...

Gonna scream this

DO NOT RUN SM GRADE OIL!!!!!

Read the back of the container if it says SM ..I dont care what or who make sit it DOES NOT have the zinc for Flat Tappett and will wipe your cam..PERIOD.

A good oil thats available at Orielys is the Citgo Mystik diesel oil, it has the zinc content and is reasonably priced...FWIW

No zinc is what SM Oil ends cam life quickly... believe it.

Rotella 15/40, ZDDPlus (1 bottle), 8 ozs of KZ33, Mobil One Filter ='s no worry's.

I use the same package in my HO Ram, dropped the pan not long ago (thought I bent a rod... no way, some idiot broached the FW -.063) bottom end looked great :>) @ 300K (GVW 36,000). :biggrin:

As far as O2 sensors, changing them all the time makes me wish they had a zipper!

Thanks guys, Im running rotella 15w40. As for the wheels, they are 4 front gta, they have redone completely. Thanks

Attachments

• P5110002-2.jpg
    P5110002-2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 676
Rotella is not safe if it is SM grade and if you bought it recently then it is.
Only use a SM with A zddp supplement

I,ve been running Mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30 for 17 years in the GN, of course now I add the zddp additive.

which oil to run?

I've always use castrol full synthetic 5w-30 never had a problem, many different options out there.

I still dont see what's wrong running synthetic SM oil if you put zinc additive in it. Perhaps someone would be kind enough to shed some light on this?

Back