UPDATE: 9.86@137 stock bottom end

Holy Sh?t, WOW Rob, your brother's car is really going. 2lbs of boost more than the 10.07 @132 pass, and 2 little changes and the car gained 5mph, that's crazy. What cam is he using, cause it seems to work very well for him and stock ported heads? I still have my TE63 turbo as a spare stored in a box, that I was keeping in case something would ever go wrong with my pt67/76 BB turbo. I think I might just throw my TE63 back in. Here I am looking to buy a new turbo and your brother is running these crazy times with a TE63, that's nuts. I never heard of these resistor plugs, they seem to work very well. I would have to find out if I could use these plugs on M&A heads. Does your brother run pump fuel E85 or the racing fuel E85?

Marco

Awesome job man!

I have to build my motor and im thinking about doing a forged crank and steel main caps. Not going crazy bc im on a budget.

When it comes to building an engine, there is no such thing as a budget. After buying a crank, good rods, good pistons with good pins, caps, machine work, flexplate and balancer, it adds up fast. This car is a serious budget build, it has recieved all of my old hand me down parts, with a combo i though woild be maxxed out at 10.3. I always veiwed this as a solid mid 10 sec combo, now it is knocking on mid 9s.

Holy Sh?t, WOW Rob, your brother's car is really going. 2lbs of boost more than the 10.07 @132 pass, and 2 little changes and the car gained 5mph, that's crazy. What cam is he using, cause it seems to work very well for him and stock ported heads? I still have my TE63 turbo as a spare stored in a box, that I was keeping in case something would ever go wrong with my pt67/76 BB turbo. I think I might just throw my TE63 back in. Here I am looking to buy a new turbo and your brother is running these crazy times with a TE63, that's nuts. I never heard of these resistor plugs, they seem to work very well. I would have to find out if I could use these plugs on M&A heads. Does your brother run pump fuel E85 or the racing fuel E85?

Marco
This is on pump e85 from speedway, it tested e83 i think. I dont really sweat the content as long as it is the 80s. The cam is a 210/215 roller from full throttle. The changes i made before having the shut down problem were the 85mm mas and non resistor autolite racing plugs. I just changed both just to solve the problem. I never had issues with the racing plugs, but wasnt ruling it out. The turbo is pretty well spent at this point. The cast 67 will go a little further, but the p trim turbine is the choke point at this level.

This is on pump e85 from speedway, it tested e83 i think. I dont really sweat the content as long as it is the 80s. The cam is a 210/215 roller from full throttle. The changes i made before having the shut down problem were the 85mm mas and non resistor autolite racing plugs. I just changed both just to solve the problem. I never had issues with the racing plugs, but wasnt ruling it out. The turbo is pretty well spent at this point. The cast 67 will go a little further, but the p trim turbine is the choke point at this level.
At what rpm does the car shift or do you manually shift it. If you manually shift it, at what rpm do you or your brother shift it at and at what rpm does the car pass at the traps?
Thanks Rob
Marco

Shifts are 5400. I dont know about going through the traps, probably 5600 to 5800. There is no need for high rpm, especially with the small compessor, and choked turbine.
I built, tune, and race this car. My brother gave the green light to push it.

This is in my brothers Cutlass hybrid, it weighs 3520 with driver.
Stock 80,000 mile short block, e85, 83lbs injectors, 60psi base pressure, stock ecm with extender extreme chip, home made double pumper with Reds XP pumps, Reds volt booster, hemco upper plenum, stock throttle body, stock intake with the ends of the runners cleaned up, TE63 p trim turbo@27psi, 210/215 roller, stock rockers, comp 853 lifters, pac 1201 springs, mildly ported stock valve iron heads, stock headers, powerstroke front mount with 2.5" pipes, 85mm truck MAS with a custom 3.5" pipe, PTC 17 blade converter, 6 year old Brian Hoffer trans, stock front suspension with cheap replacement shocks, front sway bar removed, stock rear control arms, stock sway bar, air bag with 23psi in the passenger spring, moser axles, stock driveshaft with brute force u joints, old rusty shocks from the 80s or 90s (maybe even the original 1979?) New bushings in control arms, 275/60 MT pro radials. Car has stock welded motor mounts, factory fuel lines and filter.
1.39 60' off 10psi footbrake
10.007@132 27psi, 10.6afr through the run.
What downpipe size & wastegate system are used.

soo i didnt see anyone ask... what was your duty cycle with the e85 and 83lb injectors? Im thinking about running e85 through my new engine and Its looking very promising...

I was thinking that, for the price difference I'll prob just jump straight to 160's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK man, I’m a noob so if these are bone head questions, then I do apologize up front. I have been lurking around here far longer than my born on date here would suggest though. And I try and follow the Time Slip and Combo Database very closely, as this has to be the most, clever section of the site and very big help to a newbie like me!!

I must say, that after researching a cubic butt ton of the time slips / combos listed here, your brother’s car really stands out! KUDOS on a smoking job! And with me being the wide eyed newbie that I am, I view that thing like any one of us would a Hot Woman! In that, I want it!!

So I’m hoping to clone / follow the same build plan as that of your brother’s car. And I know that you have said that valve springs (along with converters) are one of the biggest issues with these cars. So if you were planning on doing a cam anyways would you wait until you put the cam? <<Probably not that long coming just not next week, etc.!>>

Or would you just go ahead and do the springs right away?

Thanks for posting a Killer Build / Results!!!

Just so you will know, I’m turbo buick newbie, however, I am very mechanically minded and I have been building Jeeps for years. My last one had an LS1 in it, so I know enough to get myself into trouble. It is just this OBD 1 stuff that I’m not all that familiar with! So please bear with me as I have a few more questions (this time more build specific):

1) How do you make an 85mm truck MAF work with your stock ECM?

2) So it’s a myth that you need upgraded fuel lines to run E85?

3) No other changes to stock suspension to make it hook like that (other than new control arm bushings passenger side airbag)?

4) Don’t laugh at this one as it may be my Jeep heritage coming through here. When you say, “powerstroke front mount”, do you mean Powerstroke Intercooler as in Ford F250/350 powerstroke??

Somebody needs to post a dictionary of abbreviated terms on here somewhere. As it takes a while to figure it all out (hours and hours of study / reading trust me)!!

By the way, I just learned that I had been woefully misinformed on the whole MAF thing (Question #1 above) and that I could have used one with my set up as well!!! AAaarrrrrggggghhhhh Charlie Brown!! Oh well, money wasted there. However, somebody needs to update the GNTType website now that you have documented proof of T63 going well into the 9's too don't you think?

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/turboguide/turbos.html

Sorry mods if I am not supposed to post a link to that site then please remove (or tell me and I will)!

Thanks!